S3 Stratus: Unpleasant high-frequency resonance (?) on some samples

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I am a recent customer and happy user of Shreddage 3 Stratus. However, I've noticed something problematic and was hoping for some help.

First, see here for mp3 bounce: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kj8E9H ... sp=sharing
And Logic project: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... mrEod45tpx

For this very simple example, I played the same note (G#4, b string, 9th fret) several times against neck pickup for Stratus, with no extra effects (raw DI) with "Sustain" articulation. On some of them, you can here a high-pitched resonance / feedback / noise (I'm not that familiar with the right terminology) that's pretty unpleasant and not related to the note.

To highlight the noise, I repeated the section with the same instrument settings but added an EQ boost around 3.1k hertz. Obviously, this is a ridiculous sound, but it highlights the extra noise in the DI signal.

Has anyone else noticed / reported this? Anything I can do to avoid the unpleasantness? Disable the particular sample(s)? EQ it downstream (less desirable). I'm hoping maybe there is a hidden setting in Stratus that I can use to turn this down.

Thanks,
David

Adding to the above - you can hear the noise most clearly in the 1st and 5th notes of both groups of 6.

It's simply how one of those round robin samples ended up being recorded. You cannot really disable it from playback, but you can try finding that zone in the Mapping Editor, remove it, copy adjacent zone (preferably from another RR rather than another neighboring note), then save the NKI under a new name.

Thanks for the response, EvilDragon. I will look into doing this, but if there's any docs in Kontakt on how to do this, I would enjoy a pointer.

However, hearing that this is how the samples were recorded (either by design or on accident) is pretty disappointing, and seems like a quality issues. It seems clearly like an unwanted artifact in the sample - am I missing something?

To me it just sounds that's the way the guitarist fretted and plucked that string at that one time, and that's how it decayed. It can happen for sure.

Would you suggest EQ'ing or noise-gating it away?

I've spent a little bit more time on this, and I think it's more than just a one-off performance thing.

It seems to happen on multiple notes and on multiple strings. It doesn't happen on Archtop and Hydra, which I also have.

Return to “Impact Soundworks”