enabling alsa support

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I compiled ZynAddSubFX 3.0.0 but when running with: zynaddsubfx -I alsa -O alsa (on Debian testing), I get the following errors:

Error: ALSA is not a recognized audio backend
Defaulting to the NULL audio backend
Error: ALSA is not a recognized MIDI input source
Defaulting to the NULL input source

Is there an alsa flag I need to set before compiling the source?

Thanks!

Patrick

After looking further, I've got the impression that configuring Zyn-Fusion for alsa isn't going to be easy.

The build scripts for Zyn-Fusion download and *build* zynaddsubfx with make files that set oss as the default. So using the Zyn-Fusion scripts "as is," changing that default isn't possible.

I'll do a clean download in the morning, not using Zyn-Fusion and report back on enabling alsa. The options are there, just not with the Zyn-Fusion make scripts.

When building the source it should autodetect if the required dependencies are available to build. I'm guessing you're missing some header file?

Either way, just check the output when running cmake. It should provide a color coded summary of what's enabled/disabled at build time.
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

The default should only be OSS as a fallback if it doesn't look like ALSA can be built or ALSA is disabled FYI. The build scripts do not appear to explicitly set OSS as the default.
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

Thanks! I tested alsa to make sure it is working, going to do a clean build and will report back later. Much appreciated!

I did a clean rebuild and ALSA and JACK are reported to be missing, despite my knowing they are installed.

Looking further at: zyn-fusion/src/synaddsubfx/cmake, FindAlsa.cmake reports:

find_library(ASOUND_LIBRARY asound)

but /usr/share/alsa has no such file. There's a directory asound, asound.conf, asoundrc, but no asound.

Is that the proper invocation of that library?

Thanks!

Using this script, https://alsa.opensrc.org/AlsaModules, I can report on my ALSA modules as follows:

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k5.15.0-3-amd64.

0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xf3ff4000 irq 40
1 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xf2ffc000 irq 17
2 [U0x46d0x821 ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x821
USB Device 0x46d:0x821 at usb-0000:00:1d.7-1, high speed
3 [Headset ]: USB-Audio - Logitech USB Headset
Logitech Logitech USB Headset at usb-0000:00:1a.2-1, full speed

Am I correct in assuming the CMake report of ALSA support missing is incorrect? If so, how do I go about fixing that?

Thanks!

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”