How many plugins can these iPads run in a project?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys. I'm shopping for my first iPad and it's a choice between the base 9th gen one and the 6th gen mini.

My question is how many tracks can you have in a project on the 9th gen ipad and 6th gen mini respectively, in terms of number of synth plugin tracks (including a basic processing chain after the synth)

Also if anyone has synthmaster, I'm curious how many instances with EQ + Reverb each of the ipads can handle.

Also, is the smaller screen real estate of the mini a big hinderance or is the extra processing power worth it?

Thank you :)

VanillaBeans wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:54 pm Hi guys. I'm shopping for my first iPad and it's a choice between the base 9th gen one and the 6th gen mini.

My question is how many tracks can you have in a project on the 9th gen ipad and 6th gen mini respectively, in terms of number of synth plugin tracks (including a basic processing chain after the synth)

Also if anyone has synthmaster, I'm curious how many instances with EQ + Reverb each of the ipads can handle.

Also, is the smaller screen real estate of the mini a big hinderance or is the extra processing power worth it?

Thank you :)
Good question =)
I don't know the price difference, but if you want to make music without difficulty, I will recommend you to buy an iPad 11 pro (3rd generation). Currently, when I tested with this device, I opened 32 Sythmaster instances on Cubasis 3 and DSP remained at 70%. (I ran them all on a midi cilip where I hit one note at the same time)

Let's take a look at the technical specifications
iPad 9th generation:
A13 Bionic chip with 64-bit desktop-class architecture

iPad mini 6th generation:
A15 Bionic chip with 64-bit desktop-class architecture

iPad pro 11 3rd generation:
Apple M1 chip with 64-bit desktop-class architecture
Neural Engine
Neural Engine
8-core CPU
8-core graphics
Next-generation Neural Engine

Well! Here the ipad pro 11 clearly excels. In addition, since the screen size of the iPad mini is quite small, I guess it will not be very joyful to make music.

All the best
Gercek

Air4 is the current bang for buck, you can run a hell of a lot, I still have an Air2 as my main mobile music device and it runs a ton of stuff no problem.
Duh

In terms of screen size, I love my 5th gen mini! If I’d need more, I switch to my Macbook Air 11”. Same hight as a 9” iPad… For me its the ideal portable hardware synth. Both in terms of size and options/sound. I am rarely using lots of synth instances, so can’t say much about that. I just know, that my previous 3rd gen mini couldn’t run Samplewiz without dropouts, this one never dropped out…

One man's opinion:

iPad Pro 11" mainly SUX! :x The lack of a home button is a huge PITA. The Sleep and audio level buttons are HARD to press. The button combo to do a screenshot is also another dumb choice. Wanna power down? Another funky two-handed button combo... Battery life is about the same as my Air3...

At least it does have decent sound... But an iPad Air 4Gen would be a better choice and has the same processor.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”