Rapsberry Pi Zero 2 W and Zynthian (or other DIY synth)

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The new Rapsberry Pi Zero 2 W was released and it's a big upgrade over previous model - 4 core 64-bit CPU clocked at 1GHz. It still has only 512 MB DDR2, nonetheless it's enough for many projects.
CPU can be overclocked to 1,3 GHz with heatsink, 1,4 Ghz with active cooler, 1,5 GHz is unstable but probably it's a matter of time to solve it. Early benchmarks (on 32-bit OS and non-optimized software) are very promising - performance is up to, if not better (after OC) than Pi 3.

So the main question - is there a tiny chance that the projects like Zynthian (or maybe "Zynthian lite" or another DIY synth) will be available on this little SCB in the future? I know 512 MB is not much, but it's the CPU that really matters when it comes to plugins - devices like V-Machine has poor 1GHz CPU with 512 MB RAM, yet it was running many VSTi plugins perfectly.

Zero 2 W has one USB 2.0 slot - it should be enough to connect audio interface with Class Compilant compatibility. I personally have Zoom UAC2, which should be perfect for that kind of use. I don't think existing DACs for "standard" Pi will work on it.

Prices for Pi 4B skyrocketed and are a tiny bit too high, considering one can buy old notebook and make it several times more powerful when it comes to plugins/synths. But 15 bucks for headless synth? Count me in :)!

Caroozo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:17 am I don't think existing DACs for "standard" Pi will work on it.
The Zynthian 'Kit 2' build (which is the more DIY one) specifies a HiFiBerry DAC+ which is supposed to work with the Zero, as do several variants including the ones with ADCs.
They even do a DAC+ Zero, in the same form factor as the Pi Zero.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”