What is this scale?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A few months ago I was looking for some exotic scale and found some used in Jewish music and I wrote down this set of sounds as Megan Avot or Abot Scale but now I see the sounds in those scales do not fit and I had to make a mistake and it had to be a different scale. Or maybe I invented a new one by accident :)
It's good scale to create dark melodies for EDM, Trap etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Is C your tonic/home/base note?

Some sound examples would be appreciated as they'll show tendencies of treatment and probably rule out the notes that'd only work as embellishment.

Yes, the tonic starts with C. Below is a short melody and a chord progression built on these sounds.
I looked at the Jewish scales or strange scales used in folk music.
I want to make a 'devilish' Hard Trance and this melody and this scale would be good for this type of music but I would like to know what kind of scale it is, if there is one.

https://v3.fastupload.co/file/7777

hinson wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:29 pm Yes, the tonic starts with C. Below is a short melody and a chord progression built on these sounds.
I looked at the Jewish scales or strange scales used in folk music.
I want to make a 'devilish' Hard Trance and this melody and this scale would be good for this type of music but I would like to know what kind of scale it is, if there is one.

https://v3.fastupload.co/file/7777
Thanks! It surely sounds devilish!! Sounds like the lead is detuned pitch up just a tiiiiny little bit. Really cool!!!

I strongly think the tonic centre is A, and it's an eccentric progression on A minor:

| AmMaj7 | Bb | Bb7 (#5) | Am |

Not very sure about the 3rd harmony, but it really gives a vibe of the b5 substitution of the dominant 7 (E7).

And the melody on the 2nd harmony has a momentary F# that is dissonant.

There's an inner voice having my attention - bars 5-8: G# - F - F# - A

Anyways! I don't want to go too far and be confusing, but I don't think it's a single scale but two harmonies interplaying - of course, based on this particular example you uploaded :p

It's almost the same as Messiaen's Mode III, a symmetric 9-tone scale, if you add the note G in between F# and G#.

The scale would then be : C, D, D#, E, F#,G, G#, A#, B, (C).

Thanks guys, it must be this scale Megan Abot, but apparently a few months ago I made a mistake and I wrote down the notes wrongly from this scale.
I moved some sounds so that they fit to this scale and there is no big difference and the most important thing is that the melody still sounds ''devilish'' :hihi:

https://musmath.com/scale/jewish-magen-abot/c/piano

good for you, you can haz your own scale. doesn't matter what name someone has given it somewhere along the line. I was doing this long before I knew anything of harmony or that. I remember overusing eg., C Db Eb Fb Gb Ab A Bb.

For me the whole tone aspect in the middle of the set is a very different feel than that 9-note with the chromatics in the middle.

Looks like a whole tone scale with a few embellishment notes (i.e. Eb and B)... otherwise I can put a name to that exact combination of notes.

Also there is a couple of Lydian Minor, and a
Neopolitan Minor, 7 tone scales in there.

Hope that helps :)

mavriksounds wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:28 pm Looks like a whole tone scale with a few embellishment notes (i.e. Eb and B)... otherwise I can put a name to that exact combination of notes.
the thing has many more aspects...

Names are inessential

Scales that are used to create harmony do not have three chromatics in a row, and this scale has it twice. So, it’s not a scale at all

jsaras wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:56 am Scales that are used to create harmony do not have three chromatics in a row, …
I just realized an exception to this, if you were referring to chord-scale stuff… The V7 chord on harmonic minor (b9, b13) actually takes the #9 tension too, which is the b7 of the intended tonic, and therefore the combined scale has b7, 7, and 1 together.

What is the actual argument, then, why exactly does three chromatics in a row destroy any possibility of creating harmony from it?

You absolutely have to give examples of something and how it works or doesn't. That's some bullshit.

I just saw it asserted that the fact of identifying a set of tones as a scale is dependent on harmony generated.
That's not a fact, that's an assumption and it's an ignorant as f**k one.
Scale forms prefigure 'harmony' in the sense implied by that first assertion by an epoch.

let me pull one out of my hat... we want tertial triads and tetrads, yeah?
A Bb C D E F# G G#

A C E G#

G Bb D F#
etc

What's the principle? Have we now an arbitrary rule begging the question of the premise?
IE., we have to what, use both Gs here? What's the argument?

if the premise is functional harnony, that's a specific goalpost not given.
But wait, is there a V for the i harmony A C E (G)? E G# Bb (D)?

enough with posting rubbish, it adds no value and is another one of these internet facts that isn't, leading people to a stymy if they buy it
negative waves man, so early in the morning

jancivil wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:43 pm What is the actual argument, then, why exactly does three chromatics in a row destroy any possibility of creating harmony from it?

You absolutely have to give examples of something and how it works or doesn't. That's some bullshit.

I just saw it asserted that the fact of identifying a set of tones as a scale is dependent on harmony generated.
That's not a fact, that's an assumption and it's an ignorant as f**k one.
Scale forms prefigure 'harmony' in the sense implied by that first assertion by an epoch.

let me pull one out of my hat... we want tertial triads and tetrads, yeah?
A Bb C D E F# G G#

A C E G#

G Bb D F#
etc

What's the principle? Have we now an arbitrary rule begging the question of the premise?
IE., we have to what, use both Gs here? What's the argument?

if the premise is functional harnony, that's a specific goalpost not given.
But wait, is there a V for the i harmony A C E (G)? E G# Bb (D)?

enough with posting rubbish, it adds no value and is another one of these internet facts that isn't, leading people to a stymy if they buy it
negative waves man, so early in the morning
Jan I understand every word you posted but I can't understand what you're referring to... sorry.

Recorded a quick example on G7b9b13. https://voca.ro/19vppSarltgK

Return to “Music Theory”