“Strumming” for Linnstrument

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love playing LinnStrument, but sometimes I miss how strumming works on a guitar. Roughly splitting pitch selection into your left hand and articulation into the right hand has a few benefits. You can be more precise with the rhythm and articulation since that is the only job of your right hand. My favorite benefit is it gives you privacy: you can fret a chord without making any sound, then only strum when all the fingers are in the right spot.

Has anyone ever played with something similar for LinnStrument? How would you do it? I was thinking the way I would do it would be to have one designated “strum” pad that would provide Y, Z, and gate data for all the notes. Then all the other pads would only contribute their X pitch data when pressed. You would probably want to mix the X data from the strum pad into the other notes as well, so you could pitch bend the whole chord using the strum pad or bend individual notes with the other pads.

Maybe underneath the strum pad you could have a touch plate to rest the heel of your hand on. When nothing is touching the touch plate the LinnStrument functions as normal. Then if when you touch the touch plate it switches to strum mode and will only sound when you articulate on the strum pad. That way you could jump back and forth between the two play styles.

Near end of this nyle Steiner interview, he talks about how he uses the expressive control on his trumpet inspired EVI to control multiple notes at once, with the pitch data provided by an internal sequencer. I think you could get a very similar effect with this strum pad concept. (Start at 7:20)

https://youtu.be/sfgoLMz2ewc

I’ll try to prototype this when my job lets off the gas a bit.

There are a couple of "strumming" options already built into the LinnStrument:

Low Row
(columns 12 and 13)
The lowest row can be changed to have a variety of alternate functions, conveniently operated by the thumb while the fingers are used to play notes on the other rows. The options are:

1) NORMAL
The Low Row feature is turned off and the lowest row is used for normal note play.

2) RESTRIKE
Striking the low row will restart all notes held in the upper 7 rows.

*3) STRUM
Dragging your finger left and right across the Low Row will restart notes held directly above the current position on the Low Row, effectively strumming the notes above where you touch on the Low Row.

---

Special
(column 14)

1) ARPEG (Arpeggiator)
Turn on to enable the Arpeggiator for this split, using the Arpeggiator settings in Global Settings.

2) CC FADERS
Changes the selected split into 8 horizontal sliders sending Control Change 1 through 8 messages over the Main channel. Notice the CC1 through CC8 printing on the right edge of the playing surface. An example of using CC Faders would be to use the left split for normal play while using the right split to adjust 8 sound parameters in real time.

*3) STRUM
If on and Split is also on, you can strum this split to play any notes fingered on the other split. For example, select STRUM in the right split, turn the SPLIT button on, then drag your finger forward and backward over the rows in the right split to "strum" any notes fingered in the same row of the left split, similar to strumming a guitar. As your strumming finger passes each row, the notes fingered in that same row on the other split will sound. Note the following:
a) When you finger a note in the opposite split, the note will not sound until you strum it in the Strum split.
b) If you strum a row that contains no touched notes in the other split, its lowest note pitch will play, similar to strumming open strings on a guitar.
c) If multiple notes are fingered in a single row, only the highest-pitch note will play.
d) Hammer-ons and pull-offs can be performed on each row.
e) Sensitivity of the Strum split is increased while Strum is on.

Cheers!

John— thanks for your helpful post.

TigerBalm— there’s a brief demonstration of the strumming feature at 6:15 in this video:

https://youtu.be/STz__28Scwc

However, to be honest it isn’t so useful because the pads aren’t an ideal interface for strumming. Strumming or picking is certainly an important element of musical instruments. Perhaps the solution is to play both LinnStrument and a MIDI guitar, using each for musical parts that demand the different musical needs.

By the way, some people have requested a guitar-like version of LinnStrument. On the FAQ page, “General” tab, I address that request in the FAQ “Why don't you make a version of LinnStrument optimized for guitar-style play”:

https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support ... ument-faqs

Well if you have to use guitar format, this might be an option for strumming.

I could imagine a Linnstrument playing surface on the Ztar fingerboard though.
The buttons I have never fully bonded with. I never tried the non button versions.
My MiniZ has similar strumming nubs like this:
They were kind of like the SynthAxe trigger pads.
And why not:

Thanks for the input everyone! I’ll definitely play with the restrike and strum features.

I just want to clarify I wasn’t looking for a literal copy of strumming for the LinnStrument, because I agree with you that the LinnStrument surface isn’t ideal for strumming. Rather I’m interested in finding a solution for LinnStrument that is inspired by the benefits of strumming but compliments the play style of LinnStrument.

If you're a DIY guy, you could create such a strumming surface and mount it in a 3D-printed enclosure the same shape as LinnStrument and bolt it onto the right end.

That's a great idea Roger, since string triggers are essentially on/off switches, which can mimic picking quite well. They could be buttons to tap on, love the idea of attaching it to the Linnstrument.
3d printing seems like it could be a lot of fun, and expensive and time consuming I bet.

If all you want is buttons, LinnStrument’s strumming feature already gives you more than that, being sensitive to how hard you strum or strike them. I thought you wanted an interface that mimics a string, something akin to the picking/strumming interface on MIDI guitars.

Well my idea is to not have strumming buttons, but rather to have an extra pad with the same expressiveness as the other LinnStrument pads. Let's say the strum pad is on the right hand side and you play it with your right hand. So when the strum pad is activated, your left hand is used only to select notes/pitches. To make sound you would select a few notes with your left hand, then play the strum pad. The Y, Z, and gate data from the strum pad would get copy pasted out to all the notes selected by the left hand. I think the X (pitch bend) information would be a sum of the left hand and right hand pitch bend data. That would you could bend individual notes in the chord with your left hand or bend the whole chord with your right hand.

The problem with a strum button is that it doesn't do anything on it's own, you would need to define a decay envelope in your synthesizer to represent a strum. It could work fine if you program the patch to expect it but it's not in the spirit of LinnStrument. With the strum pad described above you don't need to edit the patch because the notes are using the same X, Y, Z, and gate information that the patch is already programmed for.

I realized yesterday that what I'm describing is very similar to what a Touche controller does for piano, if you choose to patch it that way.

TigerBalm wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:12 pm I realized yesterday that what I'm describing is very similar to what a Touche controller does for piano, if you choose to patch it that way.
Oh yes, the Touché is so much fun to play. It is somehow pricey, but worth every penny as you also get some sounds with it. Of course you need to modify them, as often they assign pitch for playing vibrato, but that is the one you would always want to play with the LinnStrument instead. I guess you found out already, that getting rid of any vibrato is the first you have to do on any given preset on any given synth…; - )
The company has a good support as well if you need it…

The strumming feature is so close to being usable for me but it lacks one essential thing which I don't think has been mentioned yet.

When playing the strum on the right split, it plays the "lowest note of the string" right. But then pressing the first "fret" on the left split ... if you imagine this is a guitar .. this would make a higher pitch than the "open string" ... yet Linnstrument doesn't do this, and there seems to be no way to do it.

I am hoping there's a workaround, or something I'm missing here.

skamz wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:09 am I am hoping there's a workaround, or something I'm missing here.
You can transpose the pitch of the left split by one semitone.

Hi skamz,

Thank you for your post. Unfortunately LinnStrument is not a guitar controller, but rather a keyboard with rows consisting of consecutive semitones, which happens to resemble the pitches on a string of a fretted instrument. So it has no open strings as on a guitar controller. This means that the leftmost pads' pitches are simply the lowest pitch of the row, and there is no phantom "open" pitch to the left of the leftmost pad.

That said, you can certainly think of the leftmost pad as an open string, and the second column as the first fret.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”