SSL Native Channel Strip 2 & Bus Compressor 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

4damind wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:45 am I like the SSL Channel 2 very much, very transparent but somehow "grippy". Also sounds a bit different than the Brainworx 9000J (even if you turn down THD). Especially for electronic music I like the 9000 better than, for example, the 4000.
Many still swear by the old Waves (4000e or EV2) but I do not really like them.
Has anyone switched from the Brainworx 9000j to the SSL Native Channel Strip 2?
i went from the BX4000e to the SSL Channel 2. No contest.
Never tried the J. I've given up on PA totally.

Brainworx 9000J is very good, was also developed in collaboration with Michael Brauer. But it can't be better than the "original" from SSL (probably SSL used directly the algorithms from the digital console). However, Brainworx has interesting features like their TMT which SSL does not have. Whether it is really an improvement in sound of course everyone must decide for themselves.

4damind wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:45 am I like the SSL Channel 2 very much, very transparent but somehow "grippy". Also sounds a bit different than the Brainworx 9000J (even if you turn down THD). Especially for electronic music I like the 9000 better than, for example, the 4000.
Many still swear by the old Waves (4000e or EV2) but I do not really like them.
Has anyone switched from the Brainworx 9000j to the SSL Native Channel Strip 2?
I have tried all of them, from PA from Waves etc. etc. But the only channel strip I use is the SSL Channelstrip 2. If I want saturation, I have high quality plugins for that. I don't need that from my eq or compressor.

Why are SSL charging $300 for a plugin you can't even resize in 2023?
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:13 am Why are SSL charging $300 for a plugin you can't even resize in 2023?
I mean the actual price for an SSL plug-in is more like 29,99 :D.

flori89 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:29 pm
ATS wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:13 am Why are SSL charging $300 for a plugin you can't even resize in 2023?
I mean the actual price for an SSL plug-in is more like 29,99 :D.
Own 6 or 7 of them at this point.. Never paid more than $30.. I think I even got the Channel Strip/Bus Comp bundle (back when it was V1) for the same price (might have been $50), and got upgraded to the new version for free.

The one Im camping out waiting for is the 4K B.. That thing is NIIIIIICE but no way in hell Im paying $300+ for a single channel strip plugin.

Hey,

can somebody tell me how much CPU load the SSL Native Channel Strip 2 has compared to a TDR SlickEQ in linear mode without saturation (as a reference).
★★★ One can enjoy a wood fire worthily only when he warms his thoughts by it as well as his hands and feet. ★★★

The CPU load is non existent. And my machine is ancient!

Give it a few months,it'll go on sale for $30
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

LunarKitten wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:50 pm Hey,

can somebody tell me how much CPU load the SSL Native Channel Strip 2 has compared to a TDR SlickEQ in linear mode without saturation (as a reference).
The SSL uses 0.2% running at 96khz for me. I don't have the numbers for SlickEQ but I know it's higher than that.

LunarKitten wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:50 pm Hey,

The CPU usage of these plugins is literally insignificant. I have the Channel Strip 2 loaded on EACH one of my 45+ tracks project I'm working on. As well as the X-saturator (as a preamp), Fusion HF Compressor and Fusion Transformer. I see no CPU usage gain or dip when disabling or enabling any of them on my M1 Pro.

Literally unnoticeable, they are some of the best optimised plugins I've ever worked with (at least for native Apple Silicon).
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

Have anybody compared the SSL Bus compressor with the Softube's Bus Processor? Which one do you prefer more?

Igro wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:09 pm Have anybody compared the SSL Bus compressor with the Softube's Bus Processor? Which one do you prefer more?
As much as I love Softube, their Bus Processor does not sound like an SSL to me. If you want the SSL sound, you will want the SSL Bus Compressor 2. I used them both extensively and ended up favouring the SSL.
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

Igro wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:09 pm Have anybody compared the SSL Bus compressor with the Softube's Bus Processor? Which one do you prefer more?
I tested the demo of the Softube compressor when it was out, and didn't like the sound.
I think it didn't catch up and later was provided as giveaway.
SSL bus is a better sounding one, but I'm bit suspicious about SSL plugins. I have two of them, the SSL x eq which has an obvious bug and SSL admitted, but after a year there is no fix.
The other plugin SSL x-comp distorts at low attack and release values, this behavior is also mention multiple times on Youtube. If part of the range is not usable, why it is there? Not impressed at all.
So, not a fan of both SSL and Softube in this case.

Return to “Effects”