Freestyle 1.6 *Public Beta* now available

Official support for: newsonicarts.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm waiting for morphing, too. I was ready to buy, but also disappointed when it was omitted.
Last edited by wvshpr on Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

greggybud wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:21 pm I'm always keeping my eye on morphing like Kore method.
viewtopic.php?t=539762&start=150

Is there anything new to report? Atm, I'm on Version 1.5.920 which I think is the last version to include Kore Morphing? Maybe I should ask if there is still have plans to bring morphing back?
Morphing will return. In fact, internal beta testers already have access to it since a few months. It is however part of a larger, wider feature set, so I cannot provide an ETA at this point. It's not part of v1.65 (which is imminent).

morphing.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

wvshpr wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:05 am I'm waiting for morphing, too. I was ready to buy, but also disappointed when it was omitted.

I think New Sonic Arts might be a hobby at this point, considering the slow progress and non-communication.
I can't go into detail, but its rather the opposite, there is a lot going on behind the scenes right now, and more people involved than ever before.

Some of the reasons however for 'slow progress' as you put are that:
* After 10+ years of development, the last couple years has required a lot of effort on non-features in our code base in order to make it scalable to the next generation of things we want to do. In addition, Apple Silicon and VST3 (especially) have been a significant and unwelcome use of resources.
* Two of the main feature areas for Freestyle 2.0 have been very challenging and ambitious from a technical POV, and have taken a lot of time. But in both cases the major work is done, they are already being used by internal testers and its mainly refinement work now.

We also lack a forum moderator at the moment.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:13 am
Morphing will return. In fact, internal beta testers already have access to it since a few months. It is however part of a larger, wider feature set, so I cannot provide an ETA at this point. It's not part of v1.65 (which is imminent).

morphing.png
Excellent news!

Every year my beloved Kore seems to become a bit...longer in the tooth. Since the backlight went out I'm resorting to shining a light pen on the display to read it. :lol:

newsonicarts wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:44 am
wvshpr wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:05 am I'm waiting for morphing, too. I was ready to buy, but also disappointed when it was omitted.

I think New Sonic Arts might be a hobby at this point, considering the slow progress and non-communication.
I can't go into detail, but its rather the opposite, there is a lot going on behind the scenes right now, and more people involved than ever before.

Some of the reasons however for 'slow progress' as you put are that:
* After 10+ years of development, the last couple years has required a lot of effort on non-features in our code base in order to make it scalable to the next generation of things we want to do. In addition, Apple Silicon and VST3 (especially) have been a significant and unwelcome use of resources.
* Two of the main feature areas for Freestyle 2.0 have been very challenging and ambitious from a technical POV, and have taken a lot of time. But in both cases the major work is done, they are already being used by internal testers and its mainly refinement work now.

We also lack a forum moderator at the moment.
Sounds great! Sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusions then. I'll edit my post.

greggybud wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:14 amEvery year my beloved Kore seems to become a bit...longer in the tooth. Since the backlight went out I'm resorting to shining a light pen on the display to read it. :lol:
Get somebody to open it up and replace the backlight LEDs to give it a new life? :tu:

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:59 am
greggybud wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:14 amEvery year my beloved Kore seems to become a bit...longer in the tooth. Since the backlight went out I'm resorting to shining a light pen on the display to read it. :lol:
Get somebody to open it up and replace the backlight LEDs to give it a new life? :tu:
I could try it myself, but have never seen how they are put together and how involved it would be.

Or, send it to a service guy who would charge more than a used unit...at least last time I checked used prices.

Or keep using a light pen. Everything of course is on a PC screen, it's just usually the initial boot stage when starting it that I use the hardware.

Or...wait for JWH to bring the feature back.

EvilDragon, If I were to purchase a used hardware unit, and naturally I have a current Kore license for my unit that has no backlights, would I have to transfer anything through NI? Of course they don't support Kore. So I don't know about buying a used unit?

Have you ever opened a Kore2 up?

I didn't, but this guy did. https://hackaday.io/project/171550-ble- ... of-ni-kore
greggybud wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:05 pmEvilDragon, If I were to purchase a used hardware unit, and naturally I have a current Kore license for my unit that has no backlights, would I have to transfer anything through NI? Of course they don't support Kore. So I don't know about buying a used unit?
NI can still do license transfers even with legacy products, AFAIK. This is how I got mine like 5-6 years ago.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

I knew NI did, but with the more recent changes in the past few months, I couldn't help but wonder.

Back to FreeStyle: I'll assume the only way to use both the old FreeStyle version which includes morphing and the most recent, which was just released yesterday is to uninstall/reinstall? There is no way to use different versions side by side?

If you use the standalone you can have both at the same time, but you will need to manually copy the executable somewhere. The plugin would be more difficult as they have the same plugin ID
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Certain hosts don't fully care about that (FL Studio, Reaper), they'd only care about the filename of the plugin, so that's another way of dealing with it.

Is AU plugin hosting anywhere on the horizon?

masterhiggins wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:46 pm Is AU plugin hosting anywhere on the horizon?
It's something we would like to add for sure, but its not in development at this stage nor planned concretely.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:45 am As this was a persistent cause of bugs with various plugins, Freestyle 1.6 no longer automatically captures thumbnails except for a preknown whitelist. If there are any 'major' plugins that you think should be captured by default please pm me a list.

You can use the capture option to manually capture any missing thumbnails. There is a key shortcut of ctrl+shift+T for this.
I am new to Newsonicarts products. Just started using Freestyle. Alot of thumbnails are not showing up, which was a selling point for me. I read to do a CTRL+SHIFT+T to capture thumbnails. However, when I do this, the VST GUI pops up of whatever I am trying to capture. But then nothing happens after the VST GUI disappears; there is still no resulting thumbnail screenshot. Please help. Already slighty discouraged. Thanks.

Also, I tried looking this info up in the Freestyle manual, but found no information about manually capturing the thumbnails (e.g CTRL+SHIFT+T). So is this forum the best place to get tidbits like this going forward?

One more thing to add: So far I've only adding my default VST3 folders and instruments. No VST2 ones yet. I also have the VST2 versions of most of my VST3 plugins installed on my PC.
If I had a good quote, I would place it right here!

My Mac keeps asking for the software to be activated even though I just did it last week.

Return to “New Sonic Arts”