5%
Nemesis
6%
Saurus 2
10%

Total votes: 238

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have Icarus 2 for 3 months, and is undoubtedly my favorite TONE2 synth, I'm still in astonishment of its long list of unique features. Now Warlock with a amazing simple and intelligent concept has also captured my interest, even with the few sounds that the demo brings, its latent power arise to first sight.

UPDATE: I got it !! Warlock already is in my VST digital bag! :harp:

I think that every Tone2 synthesizers are provided with a unique personality that has a great fit and niche in any producer's arsenal.
Last edited by Jazzguitar on Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Session guitarist and music producer from Venezuela
One of my old demos: (Scarbee and Overloud)
https://bit.ly/3mDq0D3

I use Electra2 way more than Icarus because the sounds are versatile enough to fit the different genres and while Icarus sounds beautifully clear, it's too narrowly focused dancey techno-ish for my taste. It wears on me like too much metal.

dblock wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:27 pm I use Electra2 way more than Icarus because the sounds are versatile enough to fit the different genres and while Icarus sounds beautifully clear, it's too narrowly focused dancey techno-ish for my taste. It wears on me like too much metal.
I was thinking about this and it's interesting cause I tried the demo and I have no interesting in techno-ish dance music but I was blown away by the extraordinary quality of the sound and I do way more ambient and sound experiment type approach. I would think it would be extremely versatile and useful but I also can relate to what you mean about too much metal! :)

Ya, you can take Icarus a lot of places, I imagine. I like what I hear in this soundset from Touch the Universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwOYFySz0M&t=386s
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I have a few Tone 2 synths, but the one I use most is Nemesis. I made a couple of demos for it a while back ...

https://soundcloud.com/dangerousorange/ ... is-demo-01

https://soundcloud.com/dangerousorange/ ... is-demo-02

killmaster wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:38 am
dblock wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:27 pm I use Electra2 way more than Icarus because the sounds are versatile enough to fit the different genres and while Icarus sounds beautifully clear, it's too narrowly focused dancey techno-ish for my taste. It wears on me like too much metal.
I was thinking about this and it's interesting cause I tried the demo and I have no interesting in techno-ish dance music but I was blown away by the extraordinary quality of the sound and I do way more ambient and sound experiment type approach. I would think it would be extremely versatile and useful but I also can relate to what you mean about too much metal! :)
Yep. The sound quality is crazy but limited unless you roll your own. If they came out with sound packs that were a little more middle of the road-ish, just maybe I'd bite but geez. Icarus seems dead aimed at the techno dance crowd. It doesn't get much use here.

dblock wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:52 am
Yep. The sound quality is crazy but limited unless you roll your own. If they came out with sound packs that were a little more middle of the road-ish, just maybe I'd bite but geez. Icarus seems dead aimed at the techno dance crowd. It doesn't get much use here.
I don't have Icarus 2 or Hive 2 and am on the fence about them. I do wonder how they compare in this department. I lean away from techno personally. More toward Martin Denny and otherworldly :)

killmaster wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:21 pm
I don't have Icarus 2 or Hive 2 and am on the fence about them. I do wonder how they compare in this department. I lean away from techno personally. More toward Martin Denny and otherworldly :)
Full disclosure, I'm a preset user so my opinion is not from a technical standpoint.
I use Hive way more than Icarus. Icarus has a high end sheen to the sound. My issue with it is the minute you hear it you know it is geared for dance/techno music for the most part and I don't do that for the most part. Hive on the other hand is way more versatile in it's ability to fit other genres of music so I gravitate toward that because I'm more versatile in the styles of music I do. Don't get me wrong, Hive sounds very good. It just doesn't have quite the glassy shiny polishy sound you find in synths mostly aimed at dance/techno music because I think it was meant to be more all around synth which is why I use it way more. jmo.

dblock wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:19 pm
Full disclosure, I'm a preset user so my opinion is not from a technical standpoint.
I use Hive way more than Icarus. Icarus has a high end sheen to the sound. My issue with it is the minute you hear it you know it is geared for dance/techno music for the most part and I don't do that for the most part. Hive on the other hand is way more versatile in it's ability to fit other genres of music so I gravitate toward that because I'm more versatile in the styles of music I do. Don't get me wrong, Hive sounds very good. It just doesn't have quite the glassy shiny polishy sound you find in synths mostly aimed at dance/techno music because I think it was meant to be more all around synth which is why I use it way more. jmo.
This is great input and I appreciate it! Was leaning that way based on demos and this confirmed it for me. I was feeling similarly.

killmaster wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:25 pm
dblock wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:19 pm
This is great input and I appreciate it! Was leaning that way based on demos and this confirmed it for me. I was feeling similarly.
Glad it helps. Good luck! :wink:

Just a reminder: a good number of the Icarus 2 presets are at or near max volume. Make sure to match volumes with other synths when comparing (not saying anyone didn't--but this was something I initially did not account for).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:14 pm Just a reminder: a good number of the Icarus 2 presets are at or near max volume. Make sure to match volumes with other synths when comparing (not saying anyone didn't--but this was something I initially did not account for).
Yeah, I do that with my Cubase templates matching all synths, strings,drums, guitars, everything volume matched. I can't stand reaching for a synth or whatever and it starts blasting my ears and then I have to stop and make it sound like it belongs there. Unfortunately, I have some synths where all the sounds within that synth aren't evenly matched. PITA but that's a different thread.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:32 am I have a few Tone 2 synths, but the one I use most is Nemesis. I made a couple of demos for it a while back ...

https://soundcloud.com/dangerousorange/ ... is-demo-01

https://soundcloud.com/dangerousorange/ ... is-demo-02
They just announced Nemesis 2!
https://www.kvraudio.com/news/tone2-aud ... izer-51865

buzz1 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:06 pm Don't like any of them.
There is a generic plasticy,sterile sound to them that is difficult to describe but clearly audible. To me anyway.

I can get inside Electra 2 a synthesized bass superior to that produced by a real Minimoog or synth strings with the same warmth of an Oberheim, what do you mean by 'sterile' sound ? It is your ears that unfortunately do not absorb the sound waves properly, have you thought about it? 8)

buzz1 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:06 pm Don't like any of them.
There is a generic plasticy,sterile sound to them that is difficult to describe but clearly audible. To me anyway.
When I read stuff like this, I wonder if there is a problem with their hearing. Not that my hearing is great anymore, but I don't hear anything plasticky.

I think people have said this many times in the past when just trolling Tone2, and its stuck inside peoples heads and they actually believe they hear it now.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Return to “Instruments”