5%
Nemesis
6%
Saurus 2
10%

Total votes: 237

RELATED
PRODUCTS

exmatproton wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:20 pm Icarus2 is pretty much one of the best (sounding) wavetable synths out there.
Largo, Massive X and Serum take those spots for me.

Not that the Tone2 synths sound bad, anything but. Although I do understand the "plasticky" comments, they definitely have some of that. Doesn't have to be bad, but, the behavior with high filter resonance is a tad disappointing for me. I prefer a bit less "well behaved" in that regard.

The synths definitely have a common sound to them. Again, that doesn't have to be bad. Waldorf has its own sound too, as has Moog, Oberheim, whatever.

exmatproton wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:20 pm
buzz1 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:13 pm
exmatproton wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:01 pm
buzz1 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:06 pm Don't like any of them.
There is a generic plasticy,sterile sound to them that is difficult to describe but clearly audible. To me anyway.
try Icarus2
Well in fairness Icarus was the best of the bunch. Haven't worked with Icarus 2.
Icarus2 is pretty much one of the best (sounding) wavetable synths out there. Although, since Vital, i barely open it anymore.
I like the sound of Icarus, though it is not amazing. It also does very good resynthesis. Solid synth that has a wide sonic landscape. For sure my favorite Tone2 synth.

The interpolation algos in Hive sound better. So I will resynthesize some audio in Icarus and then import the wavetable into Hive if I want a very smooth clean interpolation.

Vital I like the GUI better than Icarus. I prefer the Icarus filters to Vital.

Between the new Hive 2.1 and Vital, I am using Icarus less. But Icarus still has its place for resynthesis and good sound for low cpu.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:00 pm
There is a generic plasticy,sterile sound to them that is difficult to describe but clearly audible. To me anyway.
try Icarus2
Well in fairness Icarus was the best of the bunch. Haven't worked with Icarus 2.
Icarus2 is pretty much one of the best (sounding) wavetable synths out there. Although, since Vital, i barely open it anymore.
I like the sound of Icarus, though it is not amazing. It also does very good resynthesis. Solid synth that has a wide sonic landscape. For sure my favorite Tone2 synth.

The interpolation algos in Hive sound better. So I will resynthesize some audio in Icarus and then import the wavetable into Hive if I want a very smooth clean interpolation.

Between the new Hive 2.1 and Vital, I am using Icarus less. But Icarus still has its place for resynthesis and good sound for low cpu.
Wow, so interesting and such great information! I really appreciate it! I've actually wondered how all 3 of these would compare. I love Vital and really want Hive 2 and was thinking of getting Icarus 2 so this is super helpful comparison for me!

meh, i still like VANGUARD over all of those :hihi:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:50 am meh, i still like VANGUARD over all of those :hihi:
you mean refx Vanguard? Is it available?

killmaster wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:01 am
layzer wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:50 am meh, i still like VANGUARD over all of those :hihi:
you mean refx Vanguard? Is it available?
Tone2 WAS ReFx,
and i dont think so.
i think its available only to those that
got it when they were ReFx :shrug:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Was gonna be Warlock but no AU means lost interest from me, so I'll carry on without T2.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Difficult question to answer tbh, each T2 synth has a specific use for me. Saurus 2 is my goto thick bassline synth, for genres like UK hardcore. Icarus 2 has become very popular with me for leads, which was a surprise as I'd always used ElectraX for that, then E2. Gladiator gets a lot of use for pads, easy to achieve really flowing lush pads with that. Warlock was fun to use in the competition, made some interesting sounds with it, including some gruff dubby sounds, which was nice.

As for the comments about "plastic" sounds, wtf are you basing that on ? How can something sound plastic ? Are you comparing the sound to hardware to say the T2 stuff is plastic ? Or are you just comparing to your favourite synths and using stupid comments , as always on here, because its a fanboi frenzy most of the time. Some A / B' ing would be nice to hear what plastic sounds like.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I have a question, guys. Is Tone2 Nemesis capable of handling 4-op FM operation? Does it allow linear FM between the two oscillators? Thinking about getting it, it seems a lot more flexible than I initially thought.

chk071 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:51 pm
exmatproton wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:20 pm Icarus2 is pretty much one of the best (sounding) wavetable synths out there.
Largo, Massive X and Serum take those spots for me.

Not that the Tone2 synths sound bad, anything but. Although I do understand the "plasticky" comments, they definitely have some of that. Doesn't have to be bad, but, the behavior with high filter resonance is a tad disappointing for me. I prefer a bit less "well behaved" in that regard.

The synths definitely have a common sound to them. Again, that doesn't have to be bad. Waldorf has its own sound too, as has Moog, Oberheim, whatever.
not saying it is the best though ;)

One of the best for sure, for me :)

I am not a fan of serum. Never use that one. I find Largo amazing. Those filters...yummi!

pdxindy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:00 pm
try Icarus2

Right now, for me, the top 5 wavetable synths are, in no particular order;

Icarus2
Vital
Hive2(.1)
Rapid
Phaseplant

exmatproton wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:46 pm I am not a fan of serum. Never use that one. I find Largo amazing. Those filters...yummi!
Yep. :)

Admittedly, I've only checked Serum briefly. But, I remember I really liked it. Way too expensive though. The only way I would get it is with the rent-to-own option, and even that would hurt me. Not because I can't afford it, but, because I think soft synths should be more, like, 99 € per piece. It's pretty insane to pay almost half of what my DAW cost me.

Firebird

Icarus 2 because i love the interface, sound and possibilities.. it can do everything and i enjoy both programming and playing it.

Have to say i love Warlock for simple yet great sounding and quite unique little synth. hard to make it sound bad

Ive got the demo to electra 2 and love some parts but find others dated, i really dislike the gui. I would definitely buy an Electra 3 with gui more like warlock or icarus and a few changes like bigger mod matrix

I also own Nemesis and Saurus2 which i like and find useful for their own unique sounds.

NKS support for tone2 synths would be awesome too

btw im more of sound designer but have to say tone2 synths all come with great presets. And the random feature in Warlock really surprised me.. literally a couple of clicks and i had very cool sounds. Impressive!

Return to “Instruments”