Jesse Washmon Playing Linnstrument

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Found Jesse playing “Un Sospiro - F. Liszt - Linnstrument Performance” on YouTube, think I’ll give up trying to play :cry: What a great performance.

Link?

*Edit: Never mind, found it. Yes, I've seen that before. Dude can play, no question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdGFXX-kAig

Cheers!

Yeah, really fantastic.

something's weird about that piano vst, hard velocities are too powerful but soft velocities are just a mash of sound. Its either too much definition or too little.
Other works on his channel sound better)

Awesome performance, thanks for sharing it !
Best
YY

Did you notice that he turned the LinnStrument 90 degrees and has a tuning for that?

That's something I hoped to do. Is there a new setting somewhere or he changed the firmware himself? 8)
00A31845-B317-4124-AD15-A69E3CDE1119.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I would guess with the rotated setup they are using a Harpejji type pitch layout?
Dirk

He mentioned in reply to a comment that is not exactly Harpejji tuning. I tried Harpejji tuning in the support page

https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support ... ips-tricks

It doesn't produce the same result. I guess he changed the firmware to have that. This kind of vertical mode is something nice to have.

I've asked Jesse Washmon to post a description here of how he achieved his LinnStrument tuning.

I found a pretty easy change to the firmware to produce the tuning. The picture shows the result with my thirds tuning. I can have a range of C0~C8 on the 200 pads model.
IMG_5574.jpg
Here is how I did it:

In the firmware source code file ls_handleTouches.ino, add these lines to the beginning of the function getNoteNumber:

Code: Select all

byte oldRow = row;
    row = NUMCOLS - col;
    col = oldRow;
This would use the device's row number as note's column number, and use device's column number (inverted) as the note's row number, and the rest of the function would calculate the correct notes.

With this change, you can use LinnStrument with its "LinnStrument" label facing you as Jesse did, but the buttons may be too far away from hands with the 200 pads model. If you want it on the other end, you can change this accordingly to:

byte oldRow = row;
    row = col;
    col = NUMROWS - oldRow;
With this small change the notes will work, but pitch slides only work on the original row direction. The starting note will be correct, just the slide will produce bent pitch according to the old directions. I'm curious if this can also work for some people ;)

Of course it is not good to have it hardcoded, so I added a global setting to my firmware. It's a bit complex to show here. Actually there may be a much simpler way to set the tunings. I'll do some more experiments. Meanwhile you are welcome to give it a try :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Good code edit, Yin!

Use bome midi translator for PC or Midiflow for ios. Presets are attached below.

Be sure to set your Linnstrument to ChPerRow.

Thanks for all the support, really means a lot.

Jesse
Last edited by jwashmon on Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thank you Jesse. I enjoyed the piano pieces you played. I also watched "Clair de Lune" which you played on two Launchpad X :)

As a music new guy, I hope to be able to play piano pieces on LinnStrument in the future, I have some curious questions that I hope you could let me know. Maybe there are too many so I'll itemize here:

- Did you find limitations of the MIDI mapping software? Did it take a long time to set up? Do you hope LinnStrument provide such a vertical tuning directly?
- Did you find it necessary to play LinnStrument vertically? What kind of piano music do you need that? Can you use split mode for that also?
- Can you use pitch slides when you play LinnStrument vertically?
- Do you need to turn off Pitch/X and Pitch/Y when you play piano music?
- Did you try other tunings such as third tuning on LinnStrument? How do you feel about them?
- I saw on the video your right hand is almost always in front of your left hand. I wonder if turning LinnStrument 90 degrees can make the hands feel more at ease? Is it hard to use LinnStrument that way?

Ah, too many questions. I hope that doesn't take too much of your time. I hope some day in the future I can enjoy LinnStrument with the same pieces you played :)

yinwang0 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:49 am In the firmware source code file ls_handleTouches.ino, add these lines to the beginning of the function getNoteNumber:

byte oldRow = row;
    row = NUMCOLS - col;
    col = oldRow;
This would use the device's row number as note's column number, and use device's column number (inverted) as the note's row number, and the rest of the function would calculate the correct notes.

With this change, you can use LinnStrument with its "LinnStrument" label facing you as Jesse did, but the buttons may be too far away from hands with the 200 pads model. If you want it on the other end, you can change this accordingly to:

byte oldRow = row;
    row = col;
    col = NUMROWS - oldRow;
Very interesting, thank you, that way it will work just like a fretted instrument, if you slide horizontally you move chromaticaly and if you slide vertically you bend the note. I think I'll give it a try.

hariossa wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:56 pm Very interesting, thank you, that way it will work just like a fretted instrument, if you slide horizontally you move chromaticaly and if you slide vertically you bend the note. I think I'll give it a try.
That is a good way of thinking about it. Thanks for sharing the thoughts.

Now I can think of it as if every key has a pitch bend wheel attached to it. So after hitting any key, you can just slide up or down to bend it. Interestingly this works with any pitch bend range. You can decide how large the "wheel" is.

If you don't want to touch the pitch bend code in the firmware, it is better to have the botton side close to you, so that if you slide downwards, it will bend the pitch down. This is more intuitive than the other direction.
IMG_5620.jpeg

Return to “Roger Linn Design”