Most CPU efficient modular VST synths?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have Reaktor 6 already, but it starts to stress the CPU with more complex patches. I enjoy tweaking parameters as I'm composing so I rarely render/freeze the tracks.

What are the most CPU friendly VST modular softsynths, and how do they compare to Reaktor's CPU performance?

EDIT: Also having feedback loops is a major plus.
Last edited by Aesaire on Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

I've seen SynthEdit-based synths with 10,000 - 30,000 modules running in real-time. I don't think anything else can match that.

SynthEdit achieves this by 'sleeping' modules that are not active, so that may not be a fair comparison with less sophisticated systems.

I assume that there are other reasons then why there are no serious SynthEdit based synths at all out there?

Aesaire wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:09 amWhat are the most CPU friendly VST modular softsynths, and how do they compare to Reaktor's CPU performance?
Voltage Modular is pretty good.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:50 pm
Aesaire wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:09 amWhat are the most CPU friendly VST modular softsynths, and how do they compare to Reaktor's CPU performance?
Voltage Modular is pretty good.
I always thought Voltage Modular was a CPU-pig... Sounds great, tho
A well-behaved signature.

Probably Vaz modular if it was still available

Now - Bitwig Grid

MUX by MuTools:
https://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html
mux-product.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:08 pm Probably Vaz modular if it was still available

Now - Bitwig Grid
This is my view as well. Also reaktor is amazing and very cpu friendly if you don't use "blocks". I have some pretty crazy stuff in there that I couldn't do with almost anything else.

You might be able to find a legit way to buy vaz modular, depending on how the laws are where you live. It is amazing and I hate that I no longer have it.

I also have great luck with zebra(modular ish, but not quite), as well as ace. Then Bazille is still friendlier than a similar setup with many of the other modular cats out there (it is a set group of modules though).

Then you have stuff like mux and plogue bidule that are hosts and fully modular. They can do amazing things.

Like aMused said, bigwig IMO is the slickest combo of "modular" and "host" out in the wild these days. The grid is insane and I love how they made Phase a separate but integral part of the system. It allows for lots of crazy stuff while keeping the cpu very reasonable, and they maintain a healthy update schedule.

I wouldn't rule out synth edit either though (especially if you can code a bit). It is very modular and about as capable of any other system if you're willing to put the time in.

Have fun,
JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Bitwig Grid looks great but I'm pretty happy with my workflow in Reaper. Would jump on it if they released a VST version of it like Reason Rack. I've already got Zebra, it's a good synth, but I'm looking for something full modular with good CPU.
I assume that there are other reasons then why there are no serious SynthEdit based synths at all out there?
Not sure about this, does anyone have any idea? Will check out SynthEdit and MUX anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

FB ModulAir. < Can't beat that really. Sound and CPU i mean
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Aesaire wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:40 am Bitwig Grid looks great but I'm pretty happy with my workflow in Reaper. Would jump on it if they released a VST version of it like Reason Rack. I've already got Zebra, it's a good synth, but I'm looking for something full modular with good CPU.
Not sure about this, does anyone have any idea? Will check out SynthEdit and MUX anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
bidule as well as being a host has a vst version.

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:08 pm Probably Vaz modular if it was still available

Now - Bitwig Grid
Bitwig isnt a modular vst synth, and the modular capabilities arent really comparable to modular vst synths.

.jon wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:51 am

Now - Bitwig Grid
Bitwig isnt a modular vst synth, and the modular capabilities arent really comparable to modular vst synths.
They are pretty comparable. They also allow many regular vsts to be treated in a more modular fashion.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Abox, while its a standalone it barely touches the CPU.
I believe its largely if not all written in ASM.
It can host 32 bit VST plugins though.
https://sites.google.com/site/analogbox2/home
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Ah_Dziz wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:09 pm
.jon wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:51 am

Now - Bitwig Grid
They are pretty comparable. They also allow many regular vsts to be treated in a more modular fashion.
Reaper allows you to do modular routing, but feedback loops can sometimes produce pops and glitches. Does this happen in Bitwig Grid too?

FB ModulAir. < Can't beat that really. Sound and CPU i mean
Tried this out, this is really good.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”