How good are Hornet Plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok let's make some points.

1. everything indie the user's home directory should be owned by the user, not any other user, if this is the case something is not behaving correctly.

2. the user's plugin location is perfectly legit and not having a software that does privilege escalation to install a plugin in the system library is even better as far as security goes.

3. the VST3 folder inside the user's library is created by DoIn if not found, but DoIn runs with the user's privileges so it must have been some other installer that did that.

4. it definitely fails because the VST3 directory is owned by root and DoIn does not escalate privileges by design.

Saverio

On good songs Hornet plugins are good,
on bad songs less good

kidslow wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:04 pm Simple solution is chown that VST3 directory to that user, and then Hornet's installer will stop failing.
Can anybody on Ventura confirm that the VST3 folder isn't owned by the root user?
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

The plugin that wrongly created the VST3 folder as a root user was Abyss from Dawesome sold by Tracktion. I tagged the developer at VI Control. After using chown I could install all Hornet plugins.
If you plan on purchasing your first Universal Audio hardware, you can get a free additional plugin. Just send a PM.

wangeroge wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:13 pm The plugin that wrongly created the VST3 folder as a root user was Abyss from Dawesome sold by Tracktion. I tagged the developer at VI Control. After using chown I could install all Hornet plugins.
Happy to hear you got to the bottom of it. Good for calling them out on it.

Britishboxer wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:38 am
Samogrey wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:54 pm For their price, they are perfect.
Just purchased several gain riding plugins from HoRNet just because they are too handy and worthy.(for the price, and I hate how waves charge for annual update fee, so no Vocal Rider)
Actually considering purchasing Sound Radix POWAIR for its leveler function, but I find the leveler module reacts to side-chain input in a very weird way, it turns down the level at a high sc input and vice versa, which is like a ducker rather than a leveler.
I also purchased TBProAudio's GainRider and DynaRide, but they are not that handy and need more tweaks on parameters for a good result.
the price is not the reasons someone will seek a band comp that can handle the job, I think the correct way to explain your comment is that these plugs are good for beginners learning what the effects can do and who will need more professional higher resolution and up to date plugins to run on all newer machines
I don't use all of them, just those autogain plugins. I've been mixing for some years and I don't think these are just for beginners, or just give me some better options with side-chain input feature. To me, I just find them useful.

kidslow wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:54 pm Moving a demo from the user folder to the system library would hardly be pirating, especially if you've paid for the plugin. Which pedal and what didn't you like about it? How exactly does Hornet get your root password?
there is no copyright protection, so how is it that the same plugs switch from demo to fully active plugins, I purchased a pedal and it later appears in my normal user components, while disappears in my user component folder..

anyway I decided to download more things and try them, the prices are so low I dont see why not to pay for them but as soon as I got more demos via the installer inside my user folder's audio components some of my own purchased things like a Comp guitar pedal stopped showing up in Logic on ventura., I then realised allot of the demos also did not show up at all lol

Im concluding that the plugs are not m1, not native anyway

DCrown wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:12 am On good songs Hornet plugins are good,
on bad songs less good
try your songs with out plugins and see if they are good to begin with ;)

Britishboxer wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:06 pm
kidslow wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:54 pm Moving a demo from the user folder to the system library would hardly be pirating, especially if you've paid for the plugin. Which pedal and what didn't you like about it? How exactly does Hornet get your root password?
there is no copyright protection, so how is it that the same plugs switch from demo to fully active plugins, I purchased a pedal and it later appears in my normal user components, while disappears in my user component folder..

anyway I decided to download more things and try them, the prices are so low I dont see why not to pay for them but as soon as I got more demos via the installer inside my user folder's audio components some of my own purchased things like a Comp guitar pedal stopped showing up in Logic on ventura., I then realised allot of the demos also did not show up at all lol

Im concluding that the plugs are not m1, not native anyway
The demos and full plugins are two different binaries, please use HoRNet DoIn to install both so when you decide to purchase a plugin you simply install it through DoIn and the demo gets replaced by the full version.

Most of our plugins are native for Apple Silicon, just have a look to the plugin page on our website it's clearly stated on the left gray box where compatibility and features are listed.

Saverio

I just downloaded the installer, and when I open it (Intel Mac, Ventura) it does not give me the possibility to enter any information. There is a spinning disc under some text about creating an account next to a blank grey screen.

koho wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:11 pm I just downloaded the installer, and when I open it (Intel Mac, Ventura) it does not give me the possibility to enter any information. There is a spinning disc under some text about creating an account next to a blank grey screen.
Hornet's installer "DoIn" works fine for me (MS Defender SmartScreen does warn me - I guess Hornet didn't buy a certificate - but as you mention "text about creating an account" I guess you got past that).
Perhaps you should contact Hornet's support.

I just changed my DNS and that seemed to fix it, thanks.

robindrieghe wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:02 am hello saverio, its the HoRNet SongKey MK3 that even doesnt guess the tempo. and i mean like 40/50 bpm off.
and no, 4 didnt fix it.

...snip...

it is ok saverio, we discussed it trough a support ticket after i updated to mk4.
dont worry about it. this is my negative experience but im sure you have a lot of good ones too.
its the songkey - flstudio combination.
Songkey's tempo detection doesn't work in Cakewalk, Acid or Ableton for me under Windows 10 or 11. The key guessing is wrong more often than right as well. Having created a support ticket I was fobbed off until the refund window had expired and then offered a voucher.

I'm sure they have happy customers, but I'm not one of them.

I've found one of them to be inaccurate, and it was something relatively simple.

Try the Spring Reverb demo (or the free Molla) and see if you can get it to sound anything at all like a spring reverb.

Return to “Effects”