DCO vs GCO

Official support for: accsone.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can someone care to explain to me clearly what’s the difference between the DCO and the GCO? Technically I get the name/acronym, but in term of sound I’m not sure I know the difference since both can be a sine, or a triangle, wave file, etc. I’m sure of course I’m missing something here, as I didn’t explore these in depth yet (Yeah yeah I know! :P )

Hey thanks for your time!

Hi,

The DCO output is mixed to the live-input of the Granulizer (like if you add a audio generator to the crusher-X input). GCOs are generated within the Grains themselves (as if one "prints" a tone onto each grain). Both are two different, independent approaches that allows you to create different sound scapes.

But pretty sure users can explain it better by providing some examples...

Best
accSone

Awesome, great input thanks!

I will experiment more with these myself, but I was curious still to have a clear explanation from you the dev, or yeah any other crusher-X users :D ...feel free to add your touch into this thread!

I suspect Simon (sampleconstruct) to have a solid experience with these...

freq wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:58 pm Hi,

The DCO output is mixed to the live-input of the Granulizer (like if you add a audio generator to the crusher-X input). GCOs are generated within the Grains themselves (as if one "prints" a tone onto each grain). Both are two different, independent approaches that allows you to create different sound scapes.

But pretty sure users can explain it better by providing some examples...

Best
accSone
so a GCO, which translates :dog: to Grain Controlled Oscillator...
they are generated within the grains themselves, printing a tone ono each grain.
do is see a contradiction? or is it me, the granular novice?

WasteLand wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:45 pm so a GCO, which translates :dog: to Grain Controlled Oscillator...
they are generated within the grains themselves, printing a tone ono each grain.
Indeed - these Oscillators - that outputs to the current Grains are controlled by the Grains themselves e.g. by the current Window "Volume", the Frequency, it's shape (if you're using GCO modes other than "clean"). Makes sense?

Best
accSone

freq wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:48 pm
WasteLand wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:45 pm so a GCO, which translates :dog: to Grain Controlled Oscillator...
Indeed - these Oscillators - that outputs to the current Grains are controlled by the Grains themselves e.g. by the current Window "Volume", the Frequency, it's shape (if you're using GCO modes other than "clean"). Makes sense?

Best
accSone
makes perfectly sense! thanx! for the answer!

The GCO's are just awesome - I think it could be amazing if you could select the GCO source as sample like usual but then you could choose say 4 samples and cycle through them round robin style or random etc and set how quickly it moved to the next sample..
Yesterday I was clicking between just sine and saw for the GCO and getting really nice variations in sound.
I don't know whether that is something you have experimented with but I hope you develop the GCO further as I think it still has even more potential for new sounds..

Cool idea - automatic GCO sample selection for each grain, right? We would need a sample pool somewhere... (probably also interesting for the DCOs...) We will think about and experiment with it, promised!

Best
accSone

freq wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:01 pm Cool idea - automatic GCO sample selection for each grain, right? We would need a sample pool somewhere... (probably also interesting for the DCOs...) We will think about and experiment with it, promised!

Best
accSone

the GCO have potential, so a sample that can 'transform' the grain. grains that transform grains... i am thinking and thinking.

//EDIT

didn't acquire crusher-x yet, but i am coming close.

strike that; acquired crusher-x yesterday..

//EDIT

rolf kasten really helps..

i did buy a load of granulars (and had some already); nice (nice? great) ones are spacecraft, granulizer 2 ánd granurise (the last one is the most complex, and me like that). all capable of recomposition as i call it, the main purpose. quantu, has it is nice things, bought it more for other goals, or i don't know, no regrets, it will still has it's function. and a reaktor block: Cirrus.Core Reaktor User Block.

delving deeper and deeper. but i learned today more about crusher-x than in weeks. the grain buffer, the delay, the "playhead", the sweep. a lot to discover.

the modular approach would be my best choice, but no modules that can do what crusher-x can do, and building it yourself?

there is a synth, semi-modular, with already great granular potential, MSoundFactory.

but all wil give different results. i have a certain goal, i want to achieve, i only know the path, will take a lot of experimentation.

as mentioned in another thread, FFT, i.e. spectral "morphing", "warping", "FX", is for me thé combination. heavy on the cpu (o well a low FFT size can give also great results, but does it matter in cycles?). substractive is already there. FM also.

but my wishes, they are for many very personal, i don't mind the use more programs, to achieve the result. i already do. or make grains within spectralayers pro 7 (very primitive, back to the early days?). o wel, even iris can do it..

so i already use, and i am still a noob within granular synthesis, different approaches, by hand, with granurise, now mainly. second; spacecraft (feeding it a spectral synthesizer..), o well, nothing i want is lineair. the combinations you can make, happy accidents, and combinations also get's you deeper in to the sound itself. using wavelab pro for grains, yes no envelopes yet, important i know, but a primitive approach also learns me how a "grain" acts, the length, and how it changes.

the multiple outputs, never thought i would use them (i have 8 analog outputs..), will be in the future a thing i think i will implement.

i am writing out loud here.. a long time it will take, before i get what i want (and i only know it, when it works, i have no concept, a well-written blueprint, only a lot of ideas, and years of experience in another field.)

TL;DR, i know.

Return to “accSone”