Why copy protection at all in receptor?

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's my understanding receptor will run plugins without authorization. If this is indeed true, there's little top stop from running illegally attained software...

So what is the purpose of having such hardcore protection in receptor? Seems like it's yet another way to hassle people who purchase things legit, while those do dont... have all the fun with not even the slightest hassle.

This is a hardware solution afterall, it seems to make very little sense to me.

Receptor will run free plugins without authorization. All premium plugins shipped on Receptor will require an iLok license after the 30 day demo period.
Robert Randolph wrote:It's my understanding receptor will run plugins without authorization. If this is indeed true, there's little top stop from running illegally attained software...

So what is the purpose of having such hardcore protection in receptor? Seems like it's yet another way to hassle people who purchase things legit, while those do dont... have all the fun with not even the slightest hassle.

This is a hardware solution afterall, it seems to make very little sense to me.
Rick
Muse Research

MaxReverb wrote:Receptor will run free plugins without authorization.
This means it's possible to breach plugin licenses easily. Only paid, legitimate users are forced to use the copy protection schemes? hum...

I can understand this in the software world perhaps some arguements there. But being marketed as a hardware solution for vst-world... kinda fishy :-\

Yeah, the PACE thing is a calculated risk on their part I guess... as long as no users computer is affected they should be OK, but I fear the backlash if the PACE virus starts doing to their computers what it did to me when I had to install PACE for Tassman2!!
If it sounds good it is good.

Robert Randolph wrote:This means it's possible to breach plugin licenses easily. Only paid, legitimate users are forced to use the copy protection schemes? hum...
Only free plug-ins do not require a license. Premium plug-ins work only with an iLok license, so there is no breach.

Dan
Dan Timis
Software Developer
Muse Research, Inc.

DanTimis wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:This means it's possible to breach plugin licenses easily. Only paid, legitimate users are forced to use the copy protection schemes? hum...
Only free plug-ins do not require a license. Premium plug-ins work only with an iLok license, so there is no breach.

Dan
Hrm.

But there is some problems when you try to install a plugin without iLock, even if you have already licence from manufacture. Don't work. :(

For me, I don't understand that Receptor is curb only for protection. (And the access time to the iLock is long for loading plugin)

Receptor would be a hardware solution, nothing more. Because now, all alternative developpers need to developpe for this specific model. Plugin must be Receptorized. And the plugin must me know by all to be add on Receptor... There is no chance for newcomers developpers ...

For the rest, it would be good...

Bye
Spid

SpIdErWeB wrote:Receptor would be a hardware solution, nothing more.
Receptor is much more than a hardware solution. It has tons of features geared towards real-time performance. It makes it very easy to upgrade its software and to install or upgrade plug-ins that are supported.

Yes, there is a downside in that not all Windows VST plug-ins will work. But, in time more and more plug-ins will be "Receptorized"

If you want just a hardware solution, you can buy a ruggedized rack-mount PC. Receptor is very different and is not trying to compete with those.
SpIdErWeB wrote:Because now, all alternative developpers need to developpe for this specific model. Plugin must be Receptorized. And the plugin must me know by all to be add on Receptor... There is no chance for newcomers developpers ...
I don't understand why you think that there is no chance for newcomers. It's not hard at all to write a Windows VST plug-in that would run on both Windows and Receptor.

Dan
Dan Timis
Software Developer
Muse Research, Inc.

Return to “Muse Research and Development”