So no selling Serum license anymore..

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://xferrecords.com/forums/general/ ... um-license

I bought Serum when it was allowed to resell once.. So now I have 189$ synth that I can't sell anymore if I want to sell.. Bad move from xfer IMO even though I understand it.
Wouldn't buy it anymore, at least not with that price.

Wasn't aware of this, however my license is NFR anyway as I bought it second hand. I guess the same goes for LFO Tool and Cthulhu as well then? But they are too cheap to be worth selling anyway due to the old $25 license transfer fee.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I'm sure Steve will alow it, when you pressurize his business like some guy who was registered here once, used to do. ;) Not recommended though.

And, while I get your point, that's just the way it is. I can't sell some physical stuff either which i once bought for hundreds of €. At least not without giving it away for 10 €... which literally makes it not worth the time. Best to accept it, and to accept that there are many one man businesses in the audio biz, which are just not capable of doing stuff like some bigger businesses do.

You asked. :P

Implying you’d ever want to sell Serum :roll: :hihi: :hihi:

It was a fraud and he didn't want to deal with it anymore. He’s a small Dev and can’t be bothered to mess around with complex schemes to prevent frauds like the large devs can.

I’d say to anyone to not blame him, blame the people who had to ruin it for everyone else.

It sucks sure, but it is what it is.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:12 pm I’d say to anyone to not blame him, blame the people who had to ruin it for everyone else.
Fair point!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:01 pm Wouldn't buy it anymore, at least not with that price.
With respect what should the price be:
You can rent it till you own it for 10$ a month like I did, or 189$ is not that much money upfront for a VSTI as powerful as Serum...
I thought Serum was actually priced affordably rather then the later. But that's just me...
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:10 pm
And, while I get your point, that's just the way it is. I can't sell some physical stuff either which i once bought for hundreds of €. At least not without giving it away for 10 €... which literally makes it not worth the time.
For that reason I treat software purchases as a write off.
If your software looses 100% of it’s value, you’ve usually still lost less money than you would if it had been hardware devaluing.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:01 pm
I bought Serum when it was allowed to resell once.. So now I have 189$ synth that I can't sell anymore if I want to sell.. Bad move from xfer IMO even though I understand it.
Wouldn't buy it anymore, at least not with that price.
$189 seems reasonable. If you used it every day for 6 months that’s less than a dollar a day. I used to spend more than that playing arcade games and drinking coffee.

Just keep defending him. Won't change my experience 8)
It was something special back then but there are enough options now.

IMO it'd have been fair to send email to all users that "hey, I'm going to make xfer products nfr. If you want to sell your license to someone else, you can do it for one month starting now". Or something..

Besides.. If this was done by someone whos name starts with a G, people would've ripped their pants and neighbors pants and.. :lol:

I'd be curious about what the percentage is of people who actually sell their software license at least once. I have a feeling, but, I don't know if it's close to reality.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:03 pm I'd be curious about what the percentage is of people who actually sell their software license at least once. I have a feeling, but, I don't know if it's close to reality.
Some do and some don't. So I always say fifty fifty :clown:
But chance of selling decreases rapid over time.

@op: you had it for 30 months (since june 2017) and knew about the subscription. So do the math and see the amount you actually saved on it already. Then put a sock in it.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I doubt it is anywhere near 50:50. I'd be surprised if it was as high as 1 in 10. It is more liklely to be one in several hundred, I think. Just think how many registered members KVR has, then look at how few trade stuff through Buy & Sell.
Spencer Maddox wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:31 pmYou can rent it till you own it for 10$ a month like I did, or 189$ is not that much money upfront for a VSTI as powerful as Serum...
I thought Serum was actually priced affordably rather then the later. But that's just me...
I'd never pay more than $99 for a plugin. There are so many good instruments around that are either at that price or regularly available at that price, I can't see why I'd pay more. I've never seen Serum on sale so I have never more than looked at the UI. We're in a place now where we are spoiled for choice. Nobody needs Serum, it has to compete with a whole raft of other synths that are just as capable and many of them are cheaper. To be honest, I have so many great plugins now that even if Serum was on sale for $49 I wouldn't be interested.
Acid Mitch wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:45 pmIf your software looses 100% of it’s value, you’ve usually still lost less money than you would if it had been hardware devaluing.
For this reason the only times I have ever considered a license transfer was to help someone else out. When I sold my Minilogue after a year of ownership, I lost $150 or so and I thought that was really good. I bought my Analog Four for half what a new one cost so the guy I bought it from likely lost $700 or more on it. After 30 years of those kinds of experiences, spending $100 on the wrong VSTi is nothing so I'd be far more likely to give a license away than sell it.

Ultimately, I like the idea of allowing just one license transfer. It makes a new purchase more valuable than a second-hand license, which seems very fair and reasonable to all parties.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:10 pmI can't sell some physical stuff either which i once bought for hundreds of €. At least not without giving it away for 10 €...
But still you can sell it, price doesn't matter with respect to this topic.

I'm someone too who sees license transfers as a buying criteria in this quick changing audio software industries. And I sell software regularly again, may it be because I don't like companies customer policies anymore, may it be because I've found tools that more fit my workflow or may it be that the software exploits bugs that do not get fixed.

I've had an eye on Serum too but that indeed keeps me from buying then. But I fully understand his point and I'm not sad much because there's a replacement for everything.

Wasn’t there a change in EU law a few years ago that prevents companies from denying the resale of software licenses? I definitely recall someone posting something like that here.

Unless Xfer has an office somewhere in the EU, they are under no obligation to do anything the EU says. That said, the EU ruling only applies to perpetual licenses so if you limit your license period, you can set whatever conditions you like. I think that has just encouraged more companies to move to a subscription based model. Maybe that suits you but I'm not interested.
Last edited by BONES on Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”