Track - Mystery (80's vibe with vocals)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My rock/pop/synthwave track written and recorded back in 2015.
Thought I'd put it up on a new Soundcloud account rather than have it gathering dust on my computer.
Mastered by John Cornfield

http://soundcloud.com/mechanism_music/mystery
Last edited by Sound Mechanics on Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sounds good. Definitely 80s. Glad you didn't let it collect dust too long. Well done. :tu:

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:06 pm Sounds good. Definitely 80s. Glad you didn't let it collect dust too long. Well done. :tu:
Thanks wagtunes, glad you like it :)

I thought it was a good song and solid production.

Maybe the vocals were a little over powered in the the mix for my ears at least but I could catch most of the important words.

Thanks for posting!

fastlanephil wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:35 am I thought it was a good song and solid production.

Maybe the vocals were a little over powered in the the mix for my ears at least but I could catch most of the important words.

Thanks for posting!
Thanks for taking a listen.
Vocals are not my forte, so always left to last... but I still like to give it a go.
(The song is actually about the creative process and song writing in particular, but could relate to any art form).

Great track. But I agree with one of the posters above regarding the vocals. It seems like the highs of the vocals are a bit too excited making it sound a little out of place in the mix. Everything else sounds top notch. Quality tune.

bolshevikj wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:22 pm Great track. But I agree with one of the posters above regarding the vocals. It seems like the highs of the vocals are a bit too excited making it sound a little out of place in the mix. Everything else sounds top notch. Quality tune.
Thanks for the comments.
Yes, I think I will watch out for this in the future with vocals, I was probably trying to get them cutting through the mix better by pushing up the highs around 5k. Probably better to do some cutting elsewhere.

I really enjoyed this song. Well crafted.
I actually don't agree with the comments on the vocals. If anything, for me the vocals weren't cutting through quite enough. There could have been a little more space carved out for them.
0:10 I didn't like the opening guitar. Those higher frequencies irritated me a little. But it went away after a few bars. At 5:49, slightly too long for me.
Overall, really enjoyed it. Like the voice, liked the arrangement.

Bansaw wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:06 pm I really enjoyed this song. Well crafted.
I actually don't agree with the comments on the vocals. If anything, for me the vocals weren't cutting through quite enough. There could have been a little more space carved out for them.
0:10 I didn't like the opening guitar. Those higher frequencies irritated me a little. But it went away after a few bars. At 5:49, slightly too long for me.
Overall, really enjoyed it. Like the voice, liked the arrangement.
Thanks for the listen & comments.

I mix on JBL LSR305 monitors and back it up with Sennheiser HD380 pro headphones, iMac speakers
and earbuds to help mix and balance the frequencies. I don't have a treated room but it's not boomy
and I'm use to the space now.

It's often going back to older tracks after gaining experience that I spot areas that could be improved.
Not sure if it's worth redoing older songs, unless there is real potential but I prefer to move on to new
tracks. Getting them fully completed is another story :?

Cool track. The change at 2:00 (and 3:42) is particularly nice. Interesting weaving guitar lines at the end. This track has a nice floating quality which suits me on a very hot day in Australia! Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Allomerus wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:47 pm Cool track. The change at 2:00 (and 3:42) is particularly nice. Interesting weaving guitar lines at the end. This track has a nice floating quality which suits me on a very hot day in Australia! Well done! :)
Cheers......cool on a hot day - a possible album title in there somewhere 8)
Thanks for the encouragement :tu:

Had a listen to your Bandcamp albums, some very good work... King Crimson influence?

Thanks for listening. We do like King Crimson a lot but also Genesis and many others. Black Sabbath is also a favourite. (Off the top of my head)
Bandcamp

All those old 70's Prog bands are great and so influential.

Genesis - one of my favourites

Love the organ and mellotron together in Genesis. Used that idea a few times in Allomerus. Genesis were awesome!
Bandcamp

Return to “Music Cafe”