Overwhelmed With Cubase Problems

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:39 pm
Googly Smythe wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:35 pmYou have to tell us tips!
I think the biggest one was the nVidia graphics drivers, although if I go through Settings, it still shows the Intel HD graphics driver as the one in use. As far as I can see there is no utility for switching between that and the RTX2060. The other significant one might have been invoking Steinberg's power plan from Preferences.
So it turns out to be user error, after all - you don't know how to configure your stuff, then it's Cubase's fault.

The graphics cards can be permanently switched from the BIOS settings, as suggested above. There's no reason to use the Intel if you have the other one - I suppose the Intel is too weak for your monitor and graphics configuration from your OS. It just can't handle the load and this results in audio hiccups.

Pro tip: if you have a powerful computer with lots of hard drive space, don't use just one OS on it, use several - 2 or 3, and keep at least one relatively 'clean' and well configured from the start. Windows 7 is your friend, previous Cubase versions - too.

And let me stress again - those things need to be configured properly.

I can't agree at all on your last point either -- the only way that's the case is if someone has a poor hardware or setup or both: most people don't even know how to setup their hdmi ports, or even which ports they're supposed to connect to to get hdcp 2.2 if their TV has it at all, don't have receivers, dont know why 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 chroma (also typically port based) is so important, on and on - most just hook up that internet plug to their smart TV and off they go with whatever they end up getting.

When I got my "large" 27" RCA CRT TV 25ish years ago, its been changed out 4 times in the exact same spot that now sits our largest 67". And I can tell you without a doubt the difference between our last 47" 1080p and this 67" 4k is phenomenal not even close -- it's the perfect size for the room so we won't be getting any larger -- 4k is the sweet spot. I just want 120hz 4k, that will be my final type of upgrade till they come out with holograms or something.
Have you tried Vital?

perfumer wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:39 am
BONES wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:39 pm
Googly Smythe wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:35 pmYou have to tell us tips!

Pro tip: if you have a powerful computer with lots of hard drive space, don't use just one OS on it, use several - 2 or 3, and keep at least one relatively 'clean' and well configured from the start. Windows 7 is your friend, previous Cubase versions - too.

And let me stress again - those things need to be configured properly.

Lemme fix that for you (you don't want dual boot OS's on one drive, ever):

Pro tip: use clones and 2 at least drives, main for OS that will be cloned, other drive/s for your working files and clones. Then you can instantly have whatever OS you want on your main drive after you've loaded and configured it before cloning -- which results in a total 'clean slate' with zero hassle and a guarantee bloat-free start anytime you want a fresh start. And your files? Still on the other drive, as always.

That'll be $400, wanna pay me via paypal? :hyper:
Have you tried Vital?

Then there is additional software such as .Net or Visual C++ Redistributables that is required by some VSTs - and those might be not installed, or messed up over time, or conflicting with one another. This is something important to consider - have you forgotten forgotten to install something necessary?

And if you're importing MIDI files from Orion... - IDK why you would do that - just work in Cubase from the start.

Psuper wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:51 am Lemme fix that for you (you don't want dual boot OS's on one drive, ever):

Pro tip: use clones and 2 at least drives
I didn't say they have to be on one drive. They can be on another physical hard drive, or on partitions of the same one. Right now I have three on one - and on computer start up I can chose which 'studio' to go into. All three are different 'studios' but that's on purpose. They can be same/similar if your work is important and you need an instantly available backup.

Edit: hmmm, what do you mean by 'drive'? A physical one? Why not, like I said I have three OSs on one physical drive - via partitions - and it works no problem!

Ah, you mean a virtual drive - like, install two OSs on your c:\ drive and call it a dual boot? I've never tried this, wouldn't have even thought of doing it.

perfumer wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:39 amSo it turns out to be user error, after all - you don't know how to configure your stuff, then it's Cubase's fault.
Might have been valid if it had been misbehaving from the get-go but that's not the case, so I assume it is more a case of rampant automatic upgrades creating a problem. I'd also point out that it has solved only one of many problems I am having and Steinberg are yet to offer anything to explain why a song won't play from the first bar but will play form any other random position in the song. On top of that, Orion hasn't got any worse, which made it seem like Cubase was the problem.
The graphics cards can be permanently switched from the BIOS settings, as suggested above.
Nah, not gonna dig around in the BIOS, it's working OK now without that.
I suppose the Intel is too weak for your monitor and graphics configuration from your OS. It just can't handle the load and this results in audio hiccups.
It's a laptop, of course the Intel graphics can handle it. It's the change-over, I think, that was causing the problem, with both Orion and Cubase.
Windows 7 is a pile of garbage and if Cubase needs that much TLC, I'll find another host, thanks. It's 2020, I shouldn't have to spend any time on this stuff, it should all just work like it has for most of the last 20 years. And BTW, pros have IT people to take care of this shit.
perfumer wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:02 amAnd if you're importing MIDI files from Orion... - IDK why you would do that - just work in Cubase from the start.
I only bought Cubase last year, I have 35 years worth of songs that weren't made in Cubase. Gotta get the ones you need in somehow.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Dewdman42 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:09 pm
Yep. I have switched everything to vst2 except for plugins that make use of multiple midi ports.

Vst3 was and still is a complete train wreck where the head engineer is still determined to keep the throttle on.

The industry really needs badly an independent plugin standard instead of vst/au. Especially vst.
What the industry need is an independent OS made for AV production and independent plugin standard. Clinging onto MS and Apple is getting nowhere. All they care for are 90 that are using a browser whole day. They surely don't need any low latency RTOS for that. Content makers are the last on the list that get anything from any newer OS, whatever that might be.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:31 pm
Yep. I have switched everything to vst2 except for plugins that make use of multiple midi ports.

Vst3 was and still is a complete train wreck where the head engineer is still determined to keep the throttle on.

The industry really needs badly an independent plugin standard instead of vst/au. Especially vst.
What the industry need is an independent OS made for AV production and independent plugin standard. Clinging onto MS and Apple is getting nowhere. All they care for are 90 that are using a browser whole day. They surely don't need any low latency RTOS for that. Content makers are the last on the list that get anything from any newer OS, whatever that might be.
Audio companies are the least 'unified' of all major uses of Operating Systems -- linux being the only modern candidate for that to be a reality at all, and that certainly won't happen.

Audio companies are WAY behind 'standardizing' anything on Operating Systems for the most part -- dozens of DRM schemes, dozens of host or player implementations and requirements, directory roulette, on and on... hell most of them can't even use a unified installer.

And while this isn't an excuse for the industry, Audio on PC didn't even get going mainstream till maudio and pro tools got moving in early 2k, prior that it was all itb with cards like soundblasters focusing on gaming only. Prior that Amiga (which was way ahead of its time with Toaster and Soundtracker), and even then we're talking all the way up to mid 90s when most people still didn't have any type of PC. Point is, the computerized music industry we see today was late in the game and it shows.

Regardless, your best bet is to pick a tech and stick with it -- its the reason I won't use anything that requires Kontakt among other personal preferences. Make your own luck is the best bet until/if/when they get their shit together.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:18 pm ....Audio companies are the least 'unified' of all major uses of Operating Systems -- linux being the only modern candidate for that to be a reality at all, and that certainly won't happen.

Audio companies are WAY behind 'standardizing' anything on Operating Systems for the most part -- dozens of DRM schemes, dozens of host or player implementations and requirements, directory roulette, on and on... hell most of them can't even use a unified installer....

Capitalism and competition - ain't it great.

We're at the caveman level when it comes to establishing standards.

:-x

felis wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:23 pm
Psuper wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:18 pm ....Audio companies are the least 'unified' of all major uses of Operating Systems -- linux being the only modern candidate for that to be a reality at all, and that certainly won't happen.

Audio companies are WAY behind 'standardizing' anything on Operating Systems for the most part -- dozens of DRM schemes, dozens of host or player implementations and requirements, directory roulette, on and on... hell most of them can't even use a unified installer....

Actually yes, however that's an entirely different conversation. :uhuhuh:
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:40 pm ....Actually yes, however that's an entirely different conversation. :uhuhuh:

OK - I thought you were referring to the lack of standards due to competition that results in proprietary formats in an effort to maximize profits.

We should be beyond that by now. Imagine if all your many home electrical appliances required
different outlets for various AC and DC voltages because there were no national standards.
Cavemen - :hihi:

felis wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:23 pm

We're at the caveman level when it comes to establishing standards.

:-x
Standardization hinders innovation. You wouldn’t have current state of technology if totalitarian forced standardizing.

Psuper wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:18 pm
DuX wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:31 pm

Audio companies are the least 'unified' of all major uses of Operating Systems -- linux being the only modern candidate for that to be a reality at all[/b], and that certainly won't happen.
Thanks. I really needed a laugh. Don't we all just love the hot mess of competing audio standards on on linux.... :lol:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”