What is the secret with Moog VCF?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yul wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:36 pm The resonance sucking up the bass is quite nifty, desirable and by design I am sure.

Low end comes from the osc's not the filter anyways... resonance doesn't work well in the lows...raising the volume is much better here.

As the cutoff sweeps back and forth with resonance, you get bass or not depending. Interesting when there is no HPF. as you have a bit of control over bass.

I prefer other styles of filters most of the time as I tend to focus on oscillator stuff anyways,

Look at other synths if you want another character...plenty of other styles out there both analog and suctractive.
Yup - for example, Monark's oscillators are quite beefy. For bass, I'll use very little to no resonance, for leads I'll often dial the resonance to the sweet spot just before it gets squelchy, then tune the cutoff and keytracking to taste. But I'll work with Repro-1 to get more resonant mono-basses, etc. Just happy to be able to own more than one. Screw the 70s and 80s - good times, now!

yul wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:36 pm The resonance sucking up the bass is quite nifty, desirable and by design I am sure.
Completely a matter of taste. I don't find it desirably and several products implementing a boost function is a clear sign I'm far from alone in this.
yul wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:36 pm resonance doesn't work well in the lows...raising the volume is much better here.
How come resonance doesn't work well there?

I would reckon as resonance of the LPF cuts amplitude 2 octaves below cutoff frequency, a selective process that boosts the lower end would be better. HPF resonance might work; I guess EQ might work as well. Anything that selectively boosts the amplitude of those lower frequencies but not a generic volume boost over the whole spectrum as that can clip your resonance peak.

Not to say it is impossible but resonance at the low end is quite hard to manage musically speaking.

If you are at full resonance, might as well use a sine wave instead in the lows.

I prefer to just use cutoff to round off the highs and let the oscillators work imo. ymmv,

Stefken wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:11 am
yul wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:36 pm resonance doesn't work well in the lows...raising the volume is much better here.
How come resonance doesn't work well there?
That was the early 70's and most records were sold on vinyl. Few people had tape players of some quality. Bass is (and even more so, was) hard to print on vinyl - needle jumps, blown gramophone speakers and such. And the tech is from the late 60's - Serum-sharp wub-wub would have been impossible to put on record and listen to, back then.

yul wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:30 pm If you are at full resonance, might as well use a sine wave instead in the lows.

I prefer to just use cutoff to round off the highs and let the oscillators work imo. ymmv,
Well, we are talking about filter design here and how it affects the sound.
And the filter comes after the osc's in the signal chain, so if it cuts your lows, the solution is not in the osc's imo but in the filter (like a boost function that is provided in some synths in conjunction with a 4 pole ladder filter).

I am only saying..roll off the highs with the cutoff and keep the the resonance down to let the bass from the oscs through as much a possible. The moog filter will do that to some extent : as cutoff comes down, the resonance will drop a bit and bring back the osc's bass through (unless you crank the resonance a lot).

If you need to manually have some resonance in the bass frequencies (as a bass boost), it's really challenging in my opinion with that filter. The resonance peak is quite precise and strong..It either will clip or be hard to match your osc's tune below it..might as well use a sine wave there (the same as self oscillation on a filter really).

I know some synths use a HFP as a bass boost I would think the resonance here is much tamer/wider and probably will not self oscillate like the Moog. It will only highlight the actual oscillators low end imo.

I think the Taurus pedal from Moog is pretty big on low end. The reason is because of the oscillators and their special pulsating adjustment., not so much the filter.

My opinion..I am not a scientist. Cheers

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”