Soundtrek

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's sort of a soundtrack genre tune.

New Version. Basses now mirror the cellos with slight accents.

https://soundcloud.com/fastlanephil/soundtrek
Last edited by fastlanephil on Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's definitely in the soundtrack ballpark, and I like the combination or orchestral and electronic sounds. Big contrast between the first section and the second, both in terms of mood and sounds, but it works well.

Good work :)

Nice. I think the mix could be less thin though.
needs more depth and width I think.
Maybe you could add some lower octave strings.
I think also you may be limited by your sample libraries.

seismic1 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:42 am It's definitely in the soundtrack ballpark, and I like the combination or orchestral and electronic sounds. Big contrast between the first section and the second, both in terms of mood and sounds, but it works well.

Good work :)
Thanks seismic!

You can probably tell that I roughly came up with the first more flowing section and then later the contrasting second section which used the same basic arpeggio with different instrument arrangements. It is pretty minimalist, but as you said, it seems to work.

Bansaw wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:45 pm Nice. I think the mix could be less thin though.
needs more depth and width I think.
Maybe you could add some lower octave strings.
I think also you may be limited by your sample libraries.
Hi Bansaw!

I was using Cinematic Strings cellos and violas and accenting the arpeggios with the the basses. Yes, it does seem a little thin for bass on the whole with the strings. I should try using both cellos and basses and adding more bass for accent.I also own LASS so I have some options. I could just nix the accents.

Thanks for commenting and the sonic critique.

Some potential. It feels like timing is off here and there. Blow by blow:

Opening part with the bell tones. I would have one tone for the lead, and a separate tone for the background. Create some contrast. When the synth kicks in, don't lose the bell background...gives the listener more continuity.

Then the piano kicks in...not sure why...but again, keeping the previous pad in the background would have tied it together offering us, the listener more continuity.

As the orchestral part kicks in, why not keep the piano in...see above. Give us additional texture as well.

Love the horns as they come in!

When the strings come in with the lead...they need more attack...don't use a slow string sound. And change to a legato string section. It will make your lead more distinct. I only suggest this because it seems you DO have the firepower in your sound arsenal.

With a bell tone coming back in, I would use your lead sound again from the beginning, and put a solo instrument on top...maybe a woodwind.

thejonsolo wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:06 am Some potential. It feels like timing is off here and there. Blow by blow:

Opening part with the bell tones. I would have one tone for the lead, and a separate tone for the background. Create some contrast. When the synth kicks in, don't lose the bell background...gives the listener more continuity.

Then the piano kicks in...not sure why...but again, keeping the previous pad in the background would have tied it together offering us, the listener more continuity.

As the orchestral part kicks in, why not keep the piano in...see above. Give us additional texture as well.

Love the horns as they come in!

When the strings come in with the lead...they need more attack...don't use a slow string sound. And change to a legato string section. It will make your lead more distinct. I only suggest this because it seems you DO have the firepower in your sound arsenal.

With a bell tone coming back in, I would use your lead sound again from the beginning, and put a solo instrument on top...maybe a woodwind.
Hi,

Thanks for listening and the suggestions.

Enjoyed this track. Soundtrek is a good name for it. :) I like contrast so I am happy with the changes. In movies there are sudden changes of mood. The orchestra sounds good, nice use of brass.
Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Allomerus wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:20 pm Enjoyed this track. Soundtrek is a good name for it. :) I like contrast so I am happy with the changes. In movies there are sudden changes of mood. The orchestra sounds good, nice use of brass.
Well done! :)
Hello Allomerus,

I’m glad you enjoyed this one!

Yes, there was a pretty abrupt change after the first part. That’s when I started to form the idea of it being sort of a take off of the soundtrack genre. One scene and mood to another.

Many years ago I played the trumpet, trombone and then horn. It probably helps some in the use of them for music creation.

Ah that makes sense then about the Brass!
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

I thought the composition was great. I enjoyed the varied moods. :tu:

The track seemed lacking in deep bass and high frequencies.

Return to “Music Cafe”