2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

justin3am wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:19 pm
revvy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:00 am Got one of these, an FM synth in a pedal.
Nice! I really like Iron Ether pedals. I've been trying to find an Arching Prism pedal for a bit but they don't turn up that frequently.
Yea his stuff stuff sells out v quickly and second hand is at a bit of a premium too.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Probably in January 2021 (unless I run into a little more money before the end of December), I'm aiming to get the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R Black Edition interface ADDA.

This is for connecting my Soundcraft mixing console via some hardware effects to my 2nd (very old but perfectly adept at simply receiving audio for final mastering) PC computer.

I've had an (original) RME babyface for almost 10 years, and I trust RME drivers / quality.
But it will be good to get some great 2020 converters etc for the final piece in my audio chain (prior to AD audio through computer and out via DA to speakers).

One last acquisition for the year, and not a moment too soon...

Custom C414 X/Y mount

This will allow me to use my 414s in X/Y, M/S or Blumlein configurations.

I'll be helping a family friend record a piano recital tomorrow. Baring any unforeseen acoustic issues, I will be using this setup, with my UA 2610 pres to capture the performance.

Just bought Renoise as my Polyend Tracker stuck in the car park we used to call the Motorways in the UK, should have been delivered yesterday, now scheduled 30th at earliest....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I haven't bought anything new (hardware or software) in the last couple of years.
But I got this recently:
https://ctrlv.bigcartel.com/product/bs2 ... r-afx-mode
Novation added some cool new features to the Bass Station II, but I never used them because of a lack of visual indication...

For Christmas I got:

- custom synth covers made by my mom, with a cool print of stars on a swirly purple and black background. :love:

- some BoredBrain patch cables from my spouse

- a MIDI Hammer cable (low-profile, right angle, rotatable) and a pair of USB B angled extension cables. With gear on stands, I prefer not to have stuff sticking too far out the back.

- an electric kalimba

- a piezo contact mic (I need to get some Blu-Tack so I can move it to various instruments/objects)

- an Anker Soundcore Bluetooth speaker. These were recommended by Nathan Moody as a nice portable speaker for re-amping in various room environments. Also I'll use it to do more dedicated music listening :) It sounds surprisingly great for its size.

foosnark wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:37 pm For Christmas I got:

custom synth covers made by my mom, with a cool print of stars on a swirly purple and black background. :
Heh i thought you had a link to her selling those. I was gonna buy one :P oh well.

*Plenty folk sell them, I know. But that was your mom. ;)

*oh i did by a divkid ochd lfo for $160, pretty good deal at patchwerks on them.

ordered a novation summit on christmas eve due to it being at a sale price I couldn’t refuse.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

My Doepfer A-110-4 arrived yesterday. The blue panel looks really nice even if that makes it the odd one out.

I get some weird pitch changes going on as the FM amount increases, even when I know there is no DC offset in my modulation signal. Weird because it varies depending on where I have the LFrq set -- sometimes it rises with more modulation, sometimes it falls, and sometimes it will rise first and then fall as the amount increases further. From some forum discussions, I think the zero crossing threshold might be miscalibrated. I wrote to Doepfer for advice but they're closed and not answering support email until Jan 10. :grumble:

In 2020 I bought my first every amp upgrade (from a fender frontman) after 10 years of playing guitar: a Boss Katana MKII head, with a 2x12 cabinet, SWR 160 bass amp and peavey 2x10 cabinet, with stereo outs one to each amp (with the bass frequencies cut by an EQ to the guitar amp). I bought and modded a DL4 pedal (upgraded switches/LEDs, loop switch, volume drop fix, and infinite feedback). I also bought a pisound that I am using for MODEP emulation, as well as several MIDI foot controllers for controlling the pisound and various DAW plugins. All but the Katana bought used. Extremely happy with all and feel super set up to play live and jam

In 2020 i bought a Microfreaks, the Dreadbox Typhon and the Medusa. I only kept the Medusa.

Satchiemusicprod wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:12 pm In 2020 i bought a Microfreaks, the Dreadbox Typhon and the Medusa. I only kept the Medusa.
Heh, I also bought a Microfreak and Medusa last year (or rather, traded my Lyra-8 and Reface CS for them). I like them both. :tu:

A little late to the party, but my 2020 hardware purchases were pretty awesome, because I had been on the lookout for a bargain for years, and finally pulled the trigger on
  • Korg Z1 (expanded to 18 voices!) - own and love the Prophecy, but wanted polyphony
  • Alesis Fusion 8HD - love the keybed
  • Behringer AD8000 - good enough
For new gear I got me a HifiBerry DAC+ Pro - also good enough :roll: :oops:

Due to this and that, only HifiBerry and Fusion are seeing any action lately, though (but daily).

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”