2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ordered an Expert Sleepers Disting Mk 4. Hopefully the 'screen' won't drive me bonkers like the first one did but it probably will and I'll wind up selling it again....Is this kind of thing normal or is it just me?
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:00 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:19 pm :o
im not a bloody hippy!

i just look like one :tantrum:
Hippie talk 8)
captain sensible?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

werp wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:53 am Ordered an Expert Sleepers Disting Mk 4. Hopefully the 'screen' won't drive me bonkers like the first one did but it probably will and I'll wind up selling it again....Is this kind of thing normal or is it just me?
What kind of thing?

Disting mk4 is a fantastic, versatile tool where the sound and functionality aren't compromised at all... and the user interface absolutely is compromised to cram it into 4hp. I eventually hated using it enough to let go of it, even though I liked several of the algorithms.

And that's the mk4, which does at least have some kind of display that doesn't require translation... it's just too small to convey much information at a time, so you can sit there and wait for it to scroll if you don't have anything better to do... :(

(Honestly, I dislike even having to keep a mini cheat sheet for Supercell. I'm not sure I'm going to keep it around after the E520 arrives... I might switch for a smaller incarnation of Clouds and always run the Clouds firmware, or just drop it. I am hopeful for Xaoc Timiszoara because it looks like it has a nice UI.)

Anyway, I wish Os would build a "Disting+" that's about 10-12HP and has a screen big enough to show more information -- making algorithm selection faster, labeling the controls, making the "hidden" parameters less hidden, showing filenames for wavetables/samples, etc.

foosnark wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:11 pm Anyway, I wish Os would build a "Disting+" that's about 10-12HP and has a screen big enough to show more information -- making algorithm selection faster, labeling the controls, making the "hidden" parameters less hidden, showing filenames for wavetables/samples, etc.
Let me be the first to propose 'Datting' as its name.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:25 pm
foosnark wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:11 pm Anyway, I wish Os would build a "Disting+" that's about 10-12HP and has a screen big enough to show more information -- making algorithm selection faster, labeling the controls, making the "hidden" parameters less hidden, showing filenames for wavetables/samples, etc.
Let me be the first to propose 'Datting' as its name.
:hihi:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Disting MK4 is very useful, especially now that I have it synced up with Tempi and Renev2 via the Select Bus. I have the Disting mk4 changing patches in response to state changes from Rene v2. I frequently use this feature to switch between the clocked LFO, S&H and AR envelope algorithms, as I select different patterns on Rene. Very clever! Coming from a Disting mk1, the mk4 is much easier to use without a cheat sheet.

I received my Jomox ModBase 09, Vermona Twincussion and Erica Sample Drum last night and spent some time with them.
The Jomox lives up to it's reputation. The sound is freaking amazing but the menu system is a bit fiddly (I'm hesitant to call some odd behaviors bugs). Luckily, most of the core parameters have front panel controls and it can be controlled via MIDI (p-locking CCs from the Octatrack will be lots of fun). I have tried a lot of different kick drum modules with some frustration but this one is a keeper for sure.

The Vermona is exactly what I want from a modular drum voice. Modularity! Lots of inputs and outputs. The sound is great too. This thing loves self-patching and can get much more complex than it may seem on the surface. It is rather large but considering it's two oscillators, two envelope generators, a noise source and more, the use of space is pretty economical.

The Sample Drum is a nice surprise. I'm using it to replace the TipTop One in my drum case and I think it will work out nicely. The built in effects are bad and there aren't any template projects, with the Performance controls preassigned but neither is a big deal. The included samples are pretty cool but I will be replacing them with my own. Ultimately, this is a nice full featured sample playback module which can also record samples. You can choose samples, adjust loop points, tuning and envelope parameters via CV. It has a built in ADSRs for both channels. It can do sample slicing (I haven't messed with that yet). The project/sample management system seems pretty handy for creating templates.

Welp. Got the AA.1, and it doesn't attenuate enough to stop the Particle from clipping without another stage of attenuation. So what's the point of even having it if I have to also run my signals through Trim or Shades? :bang:

And I realized as I was fighting with it, I don't actually love what the Particle is doing for me all that much anyway. Yeah it was fun to jam with at first, but... I just switched a patch where I was using it over to Clouds and, while I can't recreate everything it does, overall it sounds just as good or better and is more fun to tweak with less hassle. And I've been sitting here jamming with using Clouds as a granular delay, in its kind of backwards way where the delay time is based on position, size and the timing of incoming triggers, and having a ball.

So I'm returning the AA.1 to Strymon and will sell the Particle. Being a pedal, it's excluded from my self-imposed "not selling anything for a while" rule. Probably pick up an OBNE Dweller next or see if I can trade for some other interesting thing.

Finally ordered a ZOIA, and decided to get an EHX Parallel Mixer as well.

ES Little Mikey

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:02 pm Finally ordered a ZOIA, and decided to get an EHX Parallel Mixer as well.
Congrats! I love ZOIA. I mostly use it to make simple stuff with flexible routing but there are some people really pushing it to the limit. Some of the user patches I've found are gnarly. I can't wait for the euro version to be available.

Euro version?

:swoon:

hmmm a modular within a modular...

turtles, all the way down :ud:

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:02 pm Finally ordered a ZOIA, and decided to get an EHX Parallel Mixer as well.
both have arrived. :hyper:

and now Ive gone ordered an Olegtron 4060 Mk2 as well. :o

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”