Ohmforce

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:33 am They need a higher contrast or dark mode skin on this thing before they publish it. I absolutely hate that Apple has lead so much of the industry and so many designers astray with their money success. Bad design is still bad design. Light blue on white, and low contrast in general, is still bad design, even when the company pushing it most is making insane money.
I agree about Ohm design. Love their plug ins, don't like their GUIs. I just want good UX, don't care whether it's 2D or Skeuomorphic.

Not sure what Apple application looks like your description though?

I love the funky look of their classic plugins. This new direction is too pristine, generic and bright.
I love Goodhertz's GUIs. High contrast, large font and sliders.

machinesworking wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:25 am
Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:33 am They need a higher contrast or dark mode skin on this thing before they publish it. I absolutely hate that Apple has lead so much of the industry and so many designers astray with their money success. Bad design is still bad design. Light blue on white, and low contrast in general, is still bad design, even when the company pushing it most is making insane money.
I agree about Ohm design. Love their plug ins, don't like their GUIs. I just want good UX, don't care whether it's 2D or Skeuomorphic.

All the white space, and the use of cyan on white. Definitely an Apple-created fad... which has roots in Microsoft.

Microsoft threw HTML hyperlinks into the Windows XP GUI for some functions (inconsistently, as is Microsoft’s way) and called it “innovation” (it wasn’t), and then 2013’s Apple abandoned buttons entirely in iOS (while establishing a generally stupid, low contrast color palette as “cool”).

The abandonment of proper buttons wasn’t great for mouse-driven GUIs (it was a shortcut for lack of buttons in the HTML that weirdly inspired it when everything had to be webified), but it’s far worse on touch-driven interfaces.

Basically, we have a rejection of skeuomorphic design, replacing it with the insufficiency of the simplistic text & glyphs of retro hardware that wasn’t capable of implementing skeuomorphic design. It’s utterly backwards when we now have high-PPI screens with millions to billions of colors. Retro as futurism, completely lacking in self awareness. I hate it. At least designing a GUI with photographic retro skeuomorphic appearances is honest and self aware. This modern hybrid of “high-tech used for low-tech design” minimalism is shit.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

fceramic wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:34 am I love the funky look of their classic plugins. This new direction is too pristine, generic and bright.
That’s it: generic. That’s the new norm of the flat design fad.

I like Ohmforce’s old GUIs. They had unique style. They just need better preset systems and high PPI bitmaps.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

machinesworking wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:31 am
LeVzi wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:48 am This company seems completely stagnated to me, they never seem to offer anything new, nothing in terms of updates, I only own one plugin of theirs Ohmicide, and I can't remember the last time it got an update.
I own the All All collection, and yeah it's annoying that Ohm Force have such terrible small GUIs and haven't updated in years.

Ohm Force are marketing their collaberative software they use for Ohm Studio to other business's. I kind of had a feeling they were going to go all in on that. It's no mystery that developers are going to chase big money if they can.
Flip:
https://irisate.com

If you visit the site it looks like they just started selling it, and claim that Ohm Studio has 150K users. Not a bad amount for a DAW no one here uses.
I wonder if Bitwig intend on using this technology to implement their planned collaberative features, although there doesnt appear to be a version for linux, so probably not.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:49 am
machinesworking wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:25 am

All the white space, and the use of cyan on white. Definitely an Apple-created fad... which has roots in Microsoft.

Microsoft threw HTML hyperlinks into the Windows XP GUI for some functions (inconsistently, as is Microsoft’s way) and called it “innovation” (it wasn’t), and then 2013’s Apple abandoned buttons entirely in iOS (while establishing a generally stupid, low contrast color palette as “cool”).

The abandonment of proper buttons wasn’t great for mouse-driven GUIs (it was a shortcut for lack of buttons in the HTML that weirdly inspired it when everything had to be webified), but it’s far worse on touch-driven interfaces.

Basically, we have a rejection of skeuomorphic design, replacing it with the insufficiency of the simplistic text & glyphs of retro hardware that wasn’t capable of implementing skeuomorphic design. It’s utterly backwards when we now have high-PPI screens with millions to billions of colors. Retro as futurism, completely lacking in self awareness. I hate it. At least designing a GUI with photographic retro skeuomorphic appearances is honest and self aware. This modern hybrid of “high-tech used for low-tech design” minimalism is shit.
I don't care at all whether a design is skeuomorphic or not, I care about bad design choices. I think any design these days should be scalable, and not crowded, so someone could theoretically use a touch screen with it. Ohm Force fails that way badly. I'm fine with Pigments, I'm fine with Arturia's choices in general lately, the skeuomorphic stuff like their FX line is good too. Compare that to Symptohm or Ohmicide, and it's just terrible. Ohm Force make compelling looking designs but practically they are not that great.

Ohmforce unless sales is pricey for old plugins, even if do well

Hi there...

Just a quick word of thank you to the KVR community. I am reading this and yes, it's right there has been long silences and you guys are right about how draining the Ohmstudio adventure has been. Going back to plugins for us is (arguably on a smaller scale... but who knows...) like trying to make a new Half-Life. Try not to eff up can be intimidating at times. Does anyone still care? So reading you expressing interest really feels borderline emotional in what has been sometimes a lonely process (cue in echo effect on "lonely process").

We've been working a lot over 4 years now (with a few significant breaks though), not only on Ohmboyz Infinity but on a new backbone of libraries. Goal was to not only solve nearly every problem mentioned here but also make sure the new lineup will bring unique and relevant stuff. If it works as we hope, the UI will actually have a lot of character once you use it... yet ppl who like it clean and convenient won't have to indulge in compromise (apologies for the ppl who didn't like searching meaning in cheese. But think I was the one who sculpted it! That thing stayed in my freezer for years.)

So we'll try to make you guys happy one (and many) more time.

Red_Force wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:08 am Hi there...

Just a quick word of thank you to the KVR community. I am reading this and yes, it's right there has been long silences and you guys are right about how draining the Ohmstudio adventure has been. Going back to plugins for us is (arguably on a smaller scale... but who knows...) like trying to make a new Half-Life. Try not to eff up can be intimidating at times. Does anyone still care? So reading you expressing interest really feels borderline emotional in what has been sometimes a lonely process (cue in echo effect on "lonely process").

We've been working a lot over 4 years now (with a few significant breaks though), not only on Ohmboyz Infinity but on a new backbone of libraries. Goal was to not only solve nearly every problem mentioned here but also make sure the new lineup will bring unique and relevant stuff. If it works as we hope, the UI will actually have a lot of character once you use it... yet ppl who like it clean and convenient won't have to indulge in compromise (apologies for the ppl who didn't like searching meaning in cheese. But think I was the one who sculpted it! That thing stayed in my freezer for years.)

Good news!

Could you please make your installers work on macOS Catalina? I'd like to install Ohmicide again.
:borg:

Red_Force wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:08 am Goal was to not only solve nearly every problem mentioned here but also make sure the new lineup will bring unique and relevant stuff. If it works as we hope, the UI will actually have a lot of character once you use it... yet ppl who like it clean and convenient won't have to indulge in compromise
This sounds great! Like I mentioned your country mates Arturia are doing very well IMO in this regard.

This probably won't be answered but I have to ask, I own the Ohm All All collection, and I'm aware that I will be paying more to upgrade the plug ins than I initially paid for them even with a good individual discount. Is there any possibility of a flat fee for us All All folks?

Ohmicide is my favourite thing ever. I actually love how it looks. But it's not the easiest thing in the world to use. But I feel inspired by the insanity of the design.

I love the new Infinity GUI and all their past crazy ones too.

Excellent news but actions speak louder than words...
Can we get a date for the Version 1.0 of Infinity?
A lot of us payed for it and you still haven’t finished it, how long has it been now?
It’s been unusable for months.

Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:51 am
fceramic wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:34 am I love the funky look of their classic plugins. This new direction is too pristine, generic and bright.
That’s it: generic. That’s the new norm of the flat design fad.

I like Ohmforce’s old GUIs. They had unique style. They just need better preset systems and high PPI bitmaps.
The old yellow GUI's are very good indeed. I was not fan of the alternative quirky skins though.
No signature here!

Does anyone still care?

Ohmboyz ∞

........................ SymptOhm ∞ :tu:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Return to “Effects”