Understanding electronic music composing.

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:23 pm
Ghost Snake wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:59 pm Well no need to get that personal...
nothing personal, I don’t know you other than an avatar which looks like a Millennial ;)

I kid
he looks nothing like it!
20200131_171937.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jancivil wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:17 pm
Ghost Snake wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:06 pm
jancivil wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:23 pm
Ghost Snake wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:59 pm Well no need to get that personal...
nothing personal, I don’t know you other than an avatar which looks like a Millennial ;)

I kid

Wait, I don't have an avatar ! Where did you see it ? ? :)
apparently it’s your soundcloud one
ok, well I'll take it as a compliment then since I'm a bit older than that :) cheers
I am musically schizophrenic

:)

Ploki wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:15 pm
Hate to break it to you but 8th at 140 = 16th at 70.
I don’t perceive one as inherently easier than the other, nor do i think about it when i play.
And if you cant groove to a rigid tempo, you can’t groove and varying tempo wont help you.
I'm aware of that and I've been experimenting with my findings on guitar. Counting and switching the count of the beat as I play and altering stuff. I've got a pattern right now and it's interesting what happens to it when it gets halved in time (in my mind's ear). It's not necessarily what you would expect to happen - although when I think about what I would expect to happen, I'm not really sure. You would expect the note lengths to have a more obvious correlation (or I would).

So, my melody with its simple 8th pattern has a note that arrives on the first beat of the first bar and lasts two whole beats until that note ends and the next note begins. Halved tempo length of the same note is a dotted 8th. Half tempo you'd think the note would just be twice as long, but not so it seems. It's the pattern that gets halved, not the note, that's very interesting.

But actually, as you say, it really doesn't matter what you think of rhythm as, call them 1 millionths if you want, it's just subdivisions.

Learn harmony and counterpoint properly first.

Return to “Music Theory”