Latest update: Syne v1.4.1 (January 16, 2023)

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Syne

Hi Vanilla Puff,

thank you for your input! I have many plans for Syne, which indeed has great potential. Today v1.2 was released with an FM module, and fixes for several bugs reported recently. Not everyone has a bad opinion about the UI. It is natural to add modules and connect them, with a clean layout of the signal (I mean partials) flow.
Some people prefer having all the modules on the screen in a fixed layout and connecting them by cables, but IMO this results a huge mess.
I am not sure what you mean by "partial count increase" (some computers render more than 30,000 partials) and "reduced noise" (there is zero noise when sines are summed and no aliasing).

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Hi Attila and thank you for the update!

I encountered a weird behaviour though.
V1.2 plays as expected in Logic X 10.4.8.
But, in Gig Performer 4.0.54 AU instance makes no sound.
VST behaves as expected, I an see the view meter moving, but no sound produced.
Could be Gig Performer issue though.

Hi nordickvr,

yes, I confirm the AU does not make sound in Gig Performer (I have v3.8.1). VST and VST3 works.
For some reason Gig Performer does not set up host channels in the plug-in.
The debug version immediately terminates with an error message because of this.
I'll contact them and we'll solve this issue.

Thanks for reporting it!
Attila

FYI I contacted the creators of Gig Performer, Deskew Technologies. They replied very quickly. An engineer is working on this issue. If all goes well, the fix will in the next beta, then in the next release. So Syne AU will soon work with Gig Performer.

EDIT: latest news: the fix is already added to Gig Performer. Well done! :clap:

Thanks,
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:24 am Hi Vanilla Puff,

thank you for your input! I have many plans for Syne, which indeed has great potential. Today v1.2 was released with an FM module, and fixes for several bugs reported recently. Not everyone has a bad opinion about the UI. It is natural to add modules and connect them, with a clean layout of the signal (I mean partials) flow.
Some people prefer having all the modules on the screen in a fixed layout and connecting them by cables, but IMO this results a huge mess.
I am not sure what you mean by "partial count increase" (some computers render more than 30,000 partials) and "reduced noise" (there is zero noise when sines are summed and no aliasing).

Thanks,
Attila
Thanks for your response!
I'm glad you are making big improvements and responding to stupid people like me.
The first thing I try to make with every new synth is a kick. And that's where all my criticism stemmed from. UI is mainly subjective thing if it is fuctional. There are lot of routing aspects that I really missed.
The sound being completely void of any noise.. Well thats just not true. Playing a single partial in partial editor, yields, what sounds like an alias noise, at - 80 to - 70dB above 2k right up to nyquist frequency.
Thanks again for reading these.

Syne 1.3.0 is available now with Apple M1 support, and a new UI engine in the standalone version (soon in the plug-ins too) with retina display support.

I downloaded the latest release. No more crashes in Cubase. Wow, i'm having so much fun exploring syne and i like the core sound. Please continue to let Syne evolve. I think you're on to something really good here. Thumbs up!

Hi Charlie,

thanks for your kind words!
I wish more people realize the potential in Syne... ;)

Thanks,
Attila

Hey Attila,

First off, I just want to say discovering Syne has been a dream come true for me, can't believe I didn't come across it until now. I've been wanting a deep additive synth for ages now, and have considered spending large sums of money getting into eurorack just to satisfy this need (Xaoc Odessa for instance). Very happy indeed to have found Syne!

I just downloaded the demo to get a feel for it before making the purchase. There's one bug which is bothering me: basically whenever I click the option "open module in a detached window", my DAW instantly crashes/closes. In addition to this, sometimes on some modules (I haven't worked out yet if it's specific modules or what) I get a general flickering/glitchy thing happening when I double click to zoom in and view the parameters.

I'm using an Intel Macbook Pro running OSX 13.1 (Ventura), Ableton 11.2.7, and Syne 1.4 VST3. Happy to send crash log if that is of any help.

And one more thing which is perhaps a very noob question, so apologies in advance. How can I use external modulators to modulate parameters within Syne? Basically, let's say I have a nice Max for Live LFO (or envelope follower or whatever), how can I use that to control parameters within Syne? I've read the manual and have been able to set up modulators within Syne (with the MIDI CC affecting parameters via velocity for instance; and also with internal modulators e.g. S+H, passing time). But I am wondering specifically if it is possible to take control of these parameters from an external source. Usually the way this is done in Ableton is to click "configure" and move the parameter of choice, at which point it becomes instantly mappable and automatable within Ableton from any source.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and thanks again for making a truly deep additive synth :love:

Hi 2can,

thanks for your kind words! :)

This must be an issue with hardware accelerated rendering because I tried opening a detached window on multiple macOS hardware including an Intel MacBook Pro in several hosts and it did not crash for me. In addition it should never flicker. By default 'metal' is used for UI rendering so I suspect there is an issue with the metal driver. Yes, crash reports would help a lot. Will you send them to my info@ address?

Do the same problems exist in the standalone version?

In theory you can set the 'rendering driver' to 'software' if you have graphics issues and it won't flicker, but somehow I forgot to add this setting to Syne... If you'd like I'll send you a version that lets you change the rendering driver.

Syne exports 10 macro parameters to the host, which can be used for automation.
When you click on "Add automation" normally you should see this in the plug-in:

I said "normally" because I discovered the macro parameters cannot be accessed when Syne is loaded in Ableton Live. I have fixed this today so I'll upload an update in a few days with some fixes and the 'render driver' setting.
Of course I guarantee you the discounted price in January because of these issues.

Thanks,
Attila

Hey, thank you for the fast and detailed response! And apologies for my slow response.

Sending you an email now.

Best

musicdevelopments wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:43 am Syne 1.3.0 is available now with Apple M1 support, and a new UI engine in the standalone version (soon in the plug-ins too) with retina display support.
I just downloaded and installed the version 1.4.1...
It has a nasty bug that renders it almost unusable.
I load it into Bitwig, and all is fine. It opens its window as expected. But if I close that window, and open it again, it tries to fill a screen approximately 3 time as big than mine, The upper and lower part is off screen, I cant close it again, all of Bitwig is completely covered and I have to quit Bitwig to get back to normal...
And it would be greate if I could navigate within the browser with arrow keys...
Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-11 um 21.50.12.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I tried Syne v1.4.1 with the latest Bitwig Studio v4.4.8 on macOS and I was able to close and open the plug-in window normally.
Can you try setting software rendering under Settings / User Interface (scroll to the bottom, and set 'software' as the rendering device.

Thanks,
Attila

Return to “MusicDevelopments”