New Mac Pro 2019

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pekbro wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:15 am I believe the Zeon CPU thing is pretty much bull anyway. They are the same processors as the regular,
just the cream of the crop after binning. Even the lower rank models are the same, just disabled or
limited in some way. They don't actually have separate manufacturing runs for different chips, that
would cost way too much. Mostly it's just marketing to add or remove value in the eyes of the consumer.
Are the Xeons the cream of the crop? Probably regarding endurance, but not speed. They are truly suffering in single core performance vs the home desktop enthusiast parts. There are some startling results in that topic. The forum is called "Gearslutz" and I can find the specific topic for you if you were interested, although I am not a member there but it's in my safari history somewhere. Plenty of annoying waffle but when you get to the meat, the DAW testing, you can see how they are only really suited to specific tasks. For using virtual instruments they are weak, compared even to a desktop part that is 1/10th the price. If I was doing high end video for a commercial studio, then sure, the new expensive Vega II graphics and the 28 core mac pro would be extremely powerful. However, i actually completely understand what Mr Roseberry was trying to tell me in the topic I started here regarding the best DAW for high core count processors, in that you need speed first and foremost to run the intensive plugins "per core". I have been guaranteed a 4.3 ghz, 24/7 stable clock speed on all 16 cores, so I think that will be a very nice balance of single core performance and core count. It will surely make my current mac pro look like a toy, and I paid more for this than I will be paying for the coming computer. Ridiculous when you think about it.

To Steve above, thank you! Happy New Year!
Windows 10 Pro|Intel 9960X @ 4.4 GHZ|128GB Corsair|16TB SSD|AMD 5700XT|Gigabyte Designare|Avid HDX x2|Antelope Orion 32HD x2|Pro Tools 2019.12

^ I am familiar with GearSlutz thanks :)

Anyway, binning is where they take all the chips produced in a run and separate them by how well they came through the manufacturing process. Most have defects in some form or another or have fallen short of intended specifications for whatever reason. The ones that come out the best, are sold as the Zeons.

Amelia70 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:09 pm I have been guaranteed a 4.3 ghz, 24/7 stable clock speed on all 16 cores, so I think that will be a very nice balance of single core performance and core count.
are they doing that without resorting to water cooling? cos there’s no way I’d want a production machine I rely on running water cooling - fine for gamers (maybe) but madness otherwise

jdnz wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:59 pm
Amelia70 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:09 pm I have been guaranteed a 4.3 ghz, 24/7....
are they doing that without resorting to water cooling? cos there’s no way I’d want a production machine I rely on running water cooling - fine for gamers (maybe) but madness otherwise
Why is that?
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

CrystalWizard wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:59 pm
Amelia70 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:09 pm I have been guaranteed a 4.3 ghz, 24/7....
Why is that?
long term reliability under sustained load - pumps fail, and worse still radiators/piping/pumps like to spring leaks

there's a reason apple themselves gave up on liquid cooling on the macpro g5 - and also the reason not many g5's made it to old age

Ah, i see. Thnx
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Amelia70 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:09 pm I have been guaranteed a 4.3 ghz, 24/7 stable clock speed on all 16 cores, so I think that will be a very nice balance of single core performance and core count.
It will be water cooled. It will be burnt in and torture tested prior delivery. The speed I gave is the promised minimum overclock, it may be higher. I decided to prioritise speed over noise, so will be putting it in another room, but everything else will be in the studio room. There'll be a small gap created for the cables to the interfaces and large MTT enabled usb hub for hardware synths that use USB, as well as the MIO 10 for older synths. Basically, everything will be inside the main room except for the computer itself, as there will be nothing else with a noisy fan.
Last edited by Amelia70 on Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 Pro|Intel 9960X @ 4.4 GHZ|128GB Corsair|16TB SSD|AMD 5700XT|Gigabyte Designare|Avid HDX x2|Antelope Orion 32HD x2|Pro Tools 2019.12

It's not "water" cooled, it's special liquid that doesn't conduct electricity.

I installed water cooling mostly because it's much more quiet than air - and in music studio it matters. No issues in more than 2 years and a half, did not even have to refill coolant.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:39 pm It's not "water" cooled, it's special liquid that doesn't conduct electricity.

I installed water cooling mostly because it's much more quiet than air - and in music studio it matter. No issues in more than 2 years and a half, did not even have to refill coolant.
You yourself just called it water cooling after saying it's not water. I know it's not actually water, it's just a figure of speech. Calm down. Sorry, but for the speeds I am getting I have been told it will be WAY too noisy to have in the studio room. I am not paying thousands of dollars for an isolation box when it can sit in the corner of the next room. He'll go through all the required maintenance and safety checks with me and I will do it gladly. It's going to be a beast of a machine.

Amelia70 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:44 pm Sorry, but for the speeds I am getting I have been told it will be WAY too noisy to have in the studio room. I am not paying thousands of dollars for an isolation box when it can sit in the corner of the next room. He'll go through all the required maintenance and safety checks with me and I will do it gladly. It's going to be a beast of a machine.
You should think about simply getting the pc out of the control room - there’s no real need to have it there. Using suitable video and usb extenders (hdmi over cat6 or fibre for video) it’s trivial to locate the box far away where it can have reliable (albeit noisyy) air cooling and just have the monitor/mouse/keyboard/midi controller in the control room (also saves a pile of space)

jdnz wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:13 pm
Amelia70 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:44 pm Sorry, but for the speeds I am getting I have been told it will be WAY too noisy to have in the studio room. I am not paying thousands of dollars for an isolation box when it can sit in the corner of the next room. He'll go through all the required maintenance and safety checks with me and I will do it gladly. It's going to be a beast of a machine.
You should think about simply getting the pc out of the control room - there’s no real need to have it there. Using suitable video and usb extenders (hdmi over cat6 or fibre for video) it’s trivial to locate the box far away where it can have reliable (albeit noisyy) air cooling and just have the monitor/mouse/keyboard/midi controller in the control room (also saves a pile of space)
You misunderstood.. It will be in the next room, i.e not the control room or small vocal booth we have. I am sorry if it was my own post that confused the matter. It will be in an entirely different room in the corner. The ashtray mac has always been in the same room as it's been dead quiet, but prior to that with the G3/G4/G5/Original cheese grater, we never had it in the control room. :) I am definitely favouring performance over noise this time, and to save a great deal of money over staying with Apple. It's still 2 weeks away as it's the holiday period and there are some thing we still need to take care of but all will be set up by the third week of the month latest. I am looking forward to it. We located a good condition PCIe HD native card but I have bought a system with thunderbolt in case we need to go that way at some point.

I have been reading this topic for a couple of hours now, very interesting discussion, and i just wanted to add a video showing the performance of bitwig studio in my new workstation (not a mac pro...and certainly didn't cost me between 6k and 70k as the the new mac pro can cost)

But i also would like to dismistify about some sort of cpu's that often are seen as not being ideal for music production, despite they are not usually built for general market consumption, and very few people (me incluided) can afford to get this type of products when they are brand new...

Fortunally i could have this type of workstation in second hand for an incredibly price and now i can finally enjoy it and show it what this is all about...

but i don't want to spoil anything... so i made a video that showcases 2 things...

How amazing Bitwig studio is for music production, its stability and resilience to huge workloads
and how a system like mine despite being now nearly 7 years old can handle like this in a way many modern pc built's cant... (despite those builts would cost several times more than this "old" workstation cost me...)

But anyways... i leave a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq_7zCv ... e=youtu.be

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”