MSF Feature Request: Global Modulator LFO Reset - Add Option to Reset by ARP-Cycle

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Context:
Just experimenting with a Kraftwerk Robots Bass Preset (s.below).
It's a 32 notes Arp pattern. Part of the sound is that a triangle shape LFO runs along the ARP pattern and reaches it's top position in the mid of the pattern.

Problem Description:
My problem is that I haven't found a way to setup the LFO-Retrigger in the modulator LFO in a way that it reliably synchronizes the 32-notes ARP cycle and an LFO-retrigger. I play only a single note in the DAW, but the ARP feeds many notes into the MSF Synth Engine which in turn retriggers the modulator LFO each time, when set to "retrigger on note" mode.
I have tried all different retrigger modes of the LFO but I haven't found a reliable solution.
BTW: I'm not talking about the per-voice LFOs here.

Solution:
Add a "Reset on ARP-Cycle" Sync mode to modulator LFOs which restarts an modulator LFO whenever the ARP starts from the begining.

Application:
1.) It would solve my problem ;-)
2.) Users can set up arbitrary Patterns in a modulator LFO which might reliably follow the ARP. It would allow for instance for way finer control of "velocity" than the 25% steps as currently provided in the ARP...

Best Regards
] Peter:H [

P.S.: There might be the chance that I just missed a feature which is already there to solve my requirement. Then I say "I'm sorry for the FR and thanks for the help!" ;-)

Code: Select all

$eNrFWVtz4joSfs+vUIl9PAFJvrIFnHIIZNgJgUAmc9naOqWAYjwxEmOLJOzD-vYtSbYxCWDOmdlaHhJL+rrV3Wp1t6TW76-LGDyzJI0Eb0NcRxAwPhPziIdtuJaP5z78vXPWGk7Fms-7dCZFskmZlBEPU1BrQwxBrR-FkiV9EcfiZSi4aENUR6hpfq7lEQuC2lUczdldtGRqFCP9w57nO3pMPNA4vaMPhuF0KYRcXCSMysVeZgbQe10lLDWSHwT1E-ZjzfhscwQzpBHHVeOoClDJgVQBrCqAXQVwqgBuBaBKxioRqySsErBKPq9i3K8Ybx4bF-PPC8biI5BxJGeLC8bnxzDKKdcJOwKZrlNJo2NuexctH46yuGexmEVyM3p83Iu6F9Es4mG+p7oijukqZfNJFC7kmHKtJgTddZIwLpXMTA4u2-BfYMwkS-7+AfzzPx8T+ihfWPIEJuJBSJY80DSFoDePpEim0b9ZG2IX4998zy339mi6aUOMsPWbh1wIPtx+WqV0uYp1UEEQXE+mqziSkmk4bkPsO27dszyMvebbYdKGttusE5f4PkFNF4Ihfb3ujy5iMXsyQlgEguE6ltGYJnSpxE8LffWE5flJuTl6fIwjznTvfR4Fm9hzkA07ren6YRyvw4hnga-TMs3pbgDcK8+UxWwm2dxQtCH6DSOYM0jzD3BB+VNXrLnUnFTr02pOJRuO2xCC-jqOb6iKmaN0FsUxlSIBesb0acC1am+HIfii+78qhp2W4ogaBwSvdRmXaRt6dQJBbfx5qDyJ+BDUPvEoFbzH6UPMDLTcUzLuAfU7remCrhiY3vXG40lv2rvTQj3TeK34YdjotBq7MhUdP2MbsmMb9TlaS726e+2E-5ydznHJThby-4JZhqNLxQBs9bpkK5PliAZMUGksTWaoDa-7I2AsllH-v6xr7beufcC65ETrjmaSPjNt31-taNYvNcUwemV6-w34ai0zCitrDvicvSI9+7aNNcdtm2ir6PZUMhqj7bhu4zdtkilujO7ln3pMt0uCQTBay9LEypqlHmJ6iuhgV63LPnM3-rrxJuyZJQ-KeuV2SSCn0lHGIo1kJLgiqdvNJiJNTFyC7dLYV50NLY+gpoWIRRwXgpqZi8qsVPSwX3QW28-21OY2mqI6xp5tY5XXap+jOeM6deA6sf1fbhhTPoMiRpl2yTB+pWGC5cpsGJPuav02PCd1rbquWIZiztqwK3gqKZcQ1O42K9aGH8bA-V+pgw+qo-PgcX0uu9n-JHo2RZCXt4wqqO7YllEU1xHGpGl5xLecXYUHIRcJA6E6ekBQu1V0yiZTKtdJ4Q3IKgxyPQbEPha6+3lwJqXA7fo7cZvkcbvHn4EJ4rgN83oNgld9UMBNv4m1oSf4XcQvgc2xw0HKF-MU0DfC3O7LIsj292eRGyEZSCifiyUgBavbXxger6NltLP0WUd57a2qtQ+kpLMns359mkoIriP+1F1QzlmcmvJRiKdgwej8ksV0k+WiPSXYhMWMpqzMaxrNWXdBIz7OKYueKZsJPqfJJptLjZa3QaMo3d4b7F2heFaqHb-8XNlo-0TVGCxX29UIlqvSSpBTgkp3QRM6kyzRO04XPMFytd2VdoYzu+c+4pKGTEWyWu9HEZAU5opGXNcKTr3pkF8ec7QjbDXVzZKulU5Xe2Rs-kBnTzo72Ig4TfVXxYowO6cRDzm4afvqb9at97Hlexi5no+xr+BL7WzjiIdjwcOsA+-0rCgXCV3SrN5JN3xm0r7+JNvPmPFQLv74Q42CBrDfdJOi+90hLp8N2NWmPs2vv3TOWmZr4k6rx59ZLFYM9G7u86LLMM0hOZhUg0kBtqrBVgG2q8F2AXaqwU4BdqvBbgH2qsFeAfarwX7nTGFwFge1B1+yGTXXV4Q42Ea+R3zHz-p1+duG56juq3yfxTyNbjY9TAjyrG1-hsYQlK4gsOXCTusuYUsRi33ldMPkm4xkX9bB7oGs8zaTEUI83y7ST8ay02oopY3upEqWhgZprHUK1jJY+xSsbbDOKVjHYN1TsK7BeqdgPYP1T8EqfzHXp6ra2O80LkI+ITa2PfzOaVx-12csjAiybRu-85lzVFeOVPIbVVuf4jd6yr21StOtrlW2J1-Np9NqFPp2zlrX-REG5VRzraOjia0TKrVWPvYsjB3HQ00fHjoqwoZhRwoWBL7TRyOsSoRdiXAqEW4lwqtE+McRE21hrNaQ8vRRJEtdFJdjk6+tnwNzEnIqCSlIrFNJrILEPpVEbdqPbJPOaMxO0GYL3ZKR08mUTnlYO3XKN-g3DMifZFCWoNMai4hL0I9pmF60IVY1md74TYRsm9ie55ujwx7cq94yG+P920k6Z1t58tvstyKVIfml+BFMfrd+BGKuvD37CMQ8CSFyBLJ9FML4CCzPZYcRKgaNHh-fI-RLlgl378au+6O0o-6inaBUeoRShb+uEW-UYsequM8vrXVBO6E8ZPpObUhf701sQnWXQFDgTJF7xThL9LXcOcjP3NvP8+2cEBRs9B2Hbl3Q2dN6pct6XX4MB5eDiSofd+QeRjz3CfPIQBwItGF4dnjiYcymCyE1bRbzp1HIaQzyUicL9-hw5N2WRe+91Nrnusi4LjvHSLvvOT6MUgcXbGPXtpDTdLbefgjdLH5HWFvZ3smycCZ7w2jeaU03fHYwK40XJtlqYuUq5l-aOWt1BZeJiGOWpJltdw6jZ61gJqNnZgr94k3nLmGan36CMfbsUslCkWwGki0H-FGAMU3TF5HM21BNmx0Y3nMwrlViMJVUsk6rz9SVCUv1FPmjgJL-Da6Rce60grGRUpe2JamVEslqxzjKoXID6eOX+rlNHaGmkq3S-AKGyiR67fyN3ay+X-WWwdO3Dz94+OlbdzYWg+-Tl4dF0MUXl8HlwF9cXoRfr4LgxyYI5q1GRlkEzTKn24AOv3cXs+FV0OvejbrDfjh9HUwHL5NP4ed+0Ot97f5YoPVi6SfBy-D7YBOEwYX-NRgE7fY2ZOYzGD3K-L9eBb3bl29Xk-DbVW-w8HLbnQ6CUF6O7i8W6+Cj6C5fgn+Im4eLSfgyvAyCIHi+Dbq9dquxw6vVCJKVeonXz1uk0-oczeVCPQWIdTJjYJywR731s0c2Zfcc0siJzlqNfS-5aefsv0Mdp7U=
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Just want to add a picture to my previous post to give you more intuition about what my problem is.
In the 2nd picture you see the 32-steps arp sequence on the left side next to the triangle shaped lfo to the right.
Check out the *red* circles - It shows the as is situation where I'm not able to sync arp and lfo. In this example the arp has already reached the end whereas the lfo is still close to the middle.
In contrast look at the *green* circles - they show what I would like to be able to get, meaning that both arp and lfo go in sync through their cycle and both reach the mid of their cycle at the same time (if setup both cycles with the same lenght).
In blue the box where I propose to add a "Retrigger when ARP restarts" mode.
--
1st picture hows an application of the feature. The goal of this example is to add a pan left/right value sequence along side the ARP. Again the left/right pans should be synchronized with the ARP pattern.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Well, it took me a while to even understand this :D and I'm not sure : you want the arp and lfo be in sync? To get bigger accuracy or something? To be honest I don't really know how to make that happen... It's just sooo specific. Perhaps there could be a option in the modulators to make them synced by arp (so use the same position). Makes sense?
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:04 pm Well, it took me a while to even understand this :D and I'm not sure : you want the arp and lfo be in sync? To get bigger accuracy or something? To be honest I don't really know how to make that happen... It's just sooo specific. Perhaps there could be a option in the modulators to make them synced by arp (so use the same position). Makes sense?
Damn, I'm not good in explaining things :-(
I think we are talking about the same ....My request is about that when the ARP starts, then the LFO starts at the same time. When the ARP loops, or starts another cycle, then the LFO should as well be reset to the begining.
Is the phrase "the LFO phase is reset to 0" better understandable than speaking about "reset of an LFO"?
The problem is not "bigger accuracy" but align their start and restarts.

I actually see two kind of "ARP based events" that could trigger a phase reset of a "ARP synced" LFO:
1.) ARP starts by the initial key-press coming in: Sync Option "Phase Reset on First Start"
2.) ARP reaches end of pattern and repeats it: Sync Option "Phase Reset on Repeat"

Two examples:
1.) Think of an ARP with 32 1/16 notes and an LFO set to "2" bars. This is exactly the same lenght.
Both Sync Option "Phase Reset on First Start" and "Phase Reset on Repeat" were selected.
When I now press a key on my keyboard the ARP starts. And I want to make the LFO start at the very same time. Therefore their "start" is synced.
Then the ARP reaches the end of the pattern and retriggers the LFO as well. This means their "restart is synched" as well.

2.) More interessting example could be when the LFO lenght is different than that of the the ARP.
For the sake of a made up example: Say we still have 32 1/16 notes in the ARP and 1.5 bars LFO length which is shorter than the ARP length this time:
If the LFO start is synced to the ARP pattern, this means the LFO manages to run through one complete cycle and a bit of a second one. But then the ARP reaches it's end, starts over at the begining and at the same time the LFO phase is reset when "Phase Reset on Repeat" was selected in the sync options.

Hope that is a bit clearer now...

BR
] Peter:H [

Hmmm, ok, I need to think about it, this is like really really advanced and I can't think of many people except for you using it, so :), but we'll see :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Thanks for thinking about it!
To show you that it's not completely off the limits, check out the setting in Parawave Rapid marked by the red box in the picture.
If "Mono | Arp" is *not* active then each Arp note retriggers the LFO
If "Mono | Arp" is active then the LFO starts only when I press a new note on my keyboard. It continues as long as I hold the note. This would allow me to syn the LFO start to the ARP pattern start ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm not sure if I completely understand, but have you tried using MWobbler instead of the filters in the generator.

Chandlerhimself wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:25 am I'm not sure if I completely understand, but have you tried using MWobbler instead of the filters in the generator.
Thanks, but nope, sorry. I have tried a lot things meanwhile including MWobbler. I was not able to sync LFO-Phase to ARP-Cycles with MWobbler or any other way ... Probably one can do a "2nd Arp + 2nd channel + filter" sort of a trickery. But that feels way to unintuitive to me, compared to how Parawave Rapid solves the problem.

If you're interested how this thingy works in 14.02 with the "Reset on ARP" option check out my post here: viewtopic.php?p=7615616#p7615616

Return to “MeldaProduction”