How much does the color/ finish of a guitar matter to you?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

perfumer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:41 am I don't like 'glossy' finish, don't know how it's called but like this one here:

Especially when it comes in red, green or blue - yikes! And I don't like 'white' fretboards, as in maple for example.

I'd NEVER buy such a gutar, playing one would be a nightmare come true - so distracting, ouch my eyes!, etc.).

That's the only guitar I've ever had, bought earlier this year (I'm a noob :hihi: ):

It's Jackson Pro Series Dinky DK2 - Charcoal Gray and a bit hard to photograph. It looks a lot better in person.
So you like a satin finish. Satin doesn't smudge. In many was it photographs better because of the glare factor.

This is my Dinky
dk34q.jpg
It's fun
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I always say that I like black guitars, being cool and that. In reality, I obviously don't give a toss, as long as it's cheap...

rjt60b-3.jpg
:hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Looks pink, is it the light deceiving me?

Looks dirty orange to me
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:24 am I had a series of maple neck/fretboard guitars in the 80's Every damn one warped. American made, Japanese made, Korean made. Didn't matter country of origin.
Maybe it was a good investment then to have a spare neck. ;)

Here's my latest. It'll look better when both pickups are zebras:

I don't like thick poly finishes, find them a bit 'sticky', my arm kind of drags across them. I tend to gravitate towards natural, oiled finishes (eg. the classic yamaha pacifica kind). Also feel more comfortable playing a guitar I don't have to worry about like old, road worn ones. Worrying about scratching some perfect finish ruins it for me. Can't say I'm a fan of intentional relic'ing but something unfussy and functional does it for me everytime. I actually stripped the cream-ish poly finish of my cheap jazzmaster copy and just used the wirewool/vinegar treatment with danish oil to make it less white (alder). Couple of people have mentioned my 'post apocalypse' treatment of it but it was just easy and comfy.

(the cat's just an attention junkie)

tapper mike wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:31 am
perfumer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:41 am That's the only guitar I've ever had, bought earlier this year (I'm a noob :hihi: ):

It's Jackson Pro Series Dinky DK2 - Charcoal Gray and a bit hard to photograph. It looks a lot better in person.
So you like a satin finish. Satin doesn't smudge. In many was it photographs better because of the glare factor.
No, I meant most of the wood grain detail is lost as you're looking at the picture which is also quite scaled down. Right-click to open it full size and the wood suddenly becomes more interesting to look at. Things get even better when you're holding it in your hands and looking at it from real close - it's an aesthetic pleasure that you can't get from those glossy-type single color guitars. Most they could do is blind me with sunlight reflections or have some sweaty fingerprints to look at for inspiration.

I worked in a music store when the Gems were first released. I felt really bad about laughing in the Ibanez Rep's face....

Gem.png

Would I buy a guitar that I hated the color of but thought it sounded and played awesome ? Yes reluctantly but I'm far more likely to buy one in a color I like....... :shrug:

Does the color of your car matter ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

On electrics, I prefer a nice burst, with the exception of my cherry SG. I have a CAR Tele that's a great guitar, but I can't stand CAR. I have it because I had to exchange a faulty guitar at a shop, and the best unit they had was the CAR. They didn't do refunds.

On acoustics, I prefer them natural. Bursts often look like the wood has been burned black, especially on satin finishes. I would also prefer a satin finish to a guitar dropped in a vat of polyurethene, which is one reason I don't have any acoustics like that. My 'beater' is an all solid Walden, satin finish.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I think the only finish I consistently dislike is on painted acoustics; black, white, whatever just seems wrong to me.

Totally agree on acoustics - they just look terrible when painted.

Electrics I proabably have some preferences, but it’s mostly that I prefer to not have bright colors. White is cool, got a few black guitars, and a red Strat.

not as much as it does to mad billy corgan.

vurt wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:43 pm not as much as it does to mad billy corgan.
:hihi:

I obviously have no taste at all, as I've also got one of these. Lovely sounding guitar, but the 'Francis Rossi' finish, even I have to admit is, a bit crap looking. Again, got it cheap...

zodiac1.jpg

is that denim?
from geordie jeans?

https://youtu.be/kX85QqzrXO0

Return to “Guitars”