One Synth Challenge #130: Phase Plant by Kilohearts (exponent1 Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Note: Thank you Kilohearts for making this happen and Happy New Years :party: :party: :party:

Submissions:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... -130-phase

Original rules note: Wavetables are allowed, but should not be used as sample playback engine i.e. to replicate recorded instruments or vocal phrases directly, but rather to synthesise, morph and mangle single cycle waveforms. Also, as usual, the sampler module is NOT allowed. Special rule for this month only: Commercial fx plugins are allowed.

Want a chat room with other OSCers? Join our slack here

"Phase Plant is a modular synthesizer where you can combine several different synthesis techniques in your sound design. Analog oscillators, samples, wavetables and a noise generator creates the initial sound, which can then be filtered and processed using any combination of snapins from your arsenal." and a lot more cool stuff :hyper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9TE6LfQmXA

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact me via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
We are offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): FXB Project, or JRR Shop (Uncle E)

Kilohearts : 1x Toolbox ULTIMATE; 4x Kiloheart effects plugin of choice.

discoDSP : 1 copy of Discovery (Up to 2 winners may choose this)

KV331 Audio : Bundle of Synthmaster One + Synthmaster 2.x!

Wusik : 1 bundle of Wusik Station V9, Wusik 8008, Wusik SQ200 and Wusik P2000

Dmitry Sches : Tantra Multi-Effect + 3 Expansions

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

SoundGym : 6 Month Subscription. (SoundGym is a
"technological, personalized and gamified audio learning environment")

Sonimus : Any one Plugin (1 license given away per month, max 3 in persons lifetime)

JRR Sounds: Any 1 soundset (This is a secondary prize, you may pick it as well as your main prize)

Synthmorph: Any 1 soundset

Audio Thing : Outer Space (vintage tape echo plugin)

NUSofting : 1 Copy of Modelonia v2 Synthesizer

JRR Shop : UVI: Digital Synsations (vintage 90's synth sample library and player)

Touch The Universe Productions: LuSH-101 Cloud Layers soundset

The FXB Project by alvfaria : 1 commercial sound bank as an extra prize on top of the regular first prize. See the main site here

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Rob Lee Music : A soundset for either: Sylenth1, Predator, Largo, Blofeld, PPGV3 or Dune. Unfortunately his main site is down, but if you still want these, let us know!

Luftrum : One soundset free of choice.

Kreativ Sound: RAW Bundle
(RAW Bass, RAW Drums, RAW TranSID, RAW Textures)

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Studio 13.37: Pro audio studio on a USB stick

Pooya Payvar (Stonail) : 1 custom made Max for [Ableton] Live: controller, midi or audio effect

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Bluff Munkey - 2 soundsets of choice

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
Last edited by bjporter on Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Well...the installer seems stuck right away at "Checking for updates"?! :shrug:
...after running it for a third time it has managed to get passed "checking for updates". Then, after installing the free stuff (snap heap), I went on "Try" and started installing Phase Plant, which then took about half an hour (for a 356kb plugin), because it couldn't download the presets. While the synth now appears to be there, the installer is still busy, trying to download additional files. Hahaha... wow. Not inspiring a whole lot of confidence, I'm afraid. :ud:
Looking forward to trying it out, hoping I get more than 10 days...

Yeah, it took a while for me too, including failing on first download attempt.
Have patience and persevere - it's worth it!

Can we use all the Kilohearts fx within the plugin or just the free/basic ones (toolbox free?) ? Don't want to start making sounds with something that not be allowed or disappear after 10 days !

Oh, dear, yes, it is so very well worth it. I'm right now a bit floored by the shear quality of it and the fairly easy and pleasant way to dial stuff in. This feels right away like a top tier workhorse synth, super solid, super low overhead, sounds work smoothly where one might not expect them to. This is quite ironic after "Lith", hahaha, because this is like saying:" And here is a synth that does all this stuff properly! ...and more, of course! ...oh, and at a fraction of the processing needs.".
So, yeah, if they clean up there installer act, I'm sure that get 10x more buyers!
I'm right now praying to get our own software into the public (successfully), so that I can focus on making a really nice track, because I would love to have this synth for sure.
...of course, usually this first euphoria gets some smack over the head a short while after, then come the 3 to 5 stages of grief and misery only to end up back at: Yes, I love this synth!
I remember something like that with "Thorn", which is right on the top of my favorite-synths-ever list. So fun.

But, yeah, this one here is a good one. I may have a look at the wavetable stuff, but currently it couldn't get the factory presets, so it's blank, of course. :( ...but I'll look into it, see if I can make some.

SUPER PROMISING!
Last edited by Taron on Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zarf wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:23 pm Can we use all the Kilohearts fx within the plugin or just the free/basic ones (toolbox free?) ? Don't want to start making sounds with something that not be allowed or disappear after 10 days !
The trial is basically the same as the subscription or ULTIMATE bundle and gives you access to everything.

OK cool so no restrictions on internal FX as they are 'part of the synth'... great :D
Thanks Richard

Thanks for allowing the commercial plugs -- with a top notch synth this should be an epic month.

About installation: The "offline" installer worked like a charm.
Offline installer that requires online connection for registration? ;-)

@Richard: Are FX like Chorus allowed? You were speaking about commercial vs free fx. But what about the "fx must not change the character of the synth" rule? Is it still in effect for this round?

@PeterH, I would expect the normal modulating rules apply (commercial or non-commercial), but there are so many snapins which can mod the sound anyway, we are spoilt for choice … therein lies the problem, so much to do and learn on a short time!!!!!!!!!!! And then there's music to compose etc etc!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to the challenge though... Jingle Bells all the way!

dB

This is a song-in-a-patch type of synth and they had top tier sound design that shipped with the initial release of it. Maybe I'll dig out an old laptop to run a trial of this but the problem is ofc cpu load.
quick, _ake what you want in life

Great synth choice. I dabbled around with it for an hour and I'm already sold on quality and easy of use. Also very powerful synth engines. I expect a lot of great quality sound design and tracks this month from everybody. I've heard about their snap-ins before but not about this synth. To be able to use them inside the synth is a great (commercial) way of thinking. This month will be a trial run for me as a potential customer. Good luck all!

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:24 pm About installation: The "offline" installer worked like a charm.
Offline installer that requires online connection for registration? ;-)

@Richard: Are FX like Chorus allowed? You were speaking about commercial vs free fx. But what about the "fx must not change the character of the synth" rule? Is it still in effect for this round?
Indeed: commercial and free plugins must conform to the normal rules regarding chorus/modulation etc.

Any of the snap-in fx are fair game within the synth - they will be considered 'part of the synth'

The snap-ins can also be used as vst fx on the buses and master chain - in this case they will be subject to the usual rules regarding fx plugins.

Hi, I registered at the webpage, downloaded installer. Where do I get the 10 day temporary license code from?

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:22 am Hi, I registered at the webpage, downloaded installer. Where do I get the 10 day temporary license code from?
All the licenses/codes will be emailed to the email ID you provided while registering for the trial. But you needn't enter them manually, the installer will automatically pull the codes linked to your account.

Return to “Instruments”