Hard techno: Dan Gayle - W-2

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just finished this track off yesterday. Influenced a bit by the harder styles of techno, like Paula Temple.

https://soundcloud.com/dangayle/w-2/s-zF7hp

Where is the kick? Can't hear it at all.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:18 am Where is the kick? Can't hear it at all.
It's there but barely. I think we need to forget labels when we listen to stuff because we end up with preconceived ideas that may not be what the OP had in mind.

Evaluating the music, just on its own, it's decently done. What it is, I have no idea. But I've heard worse.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:18 am Where is the kick? Can't hear it at all.
Oof. Stab me to the heart. That's like one of the worst things you can say to a techno producer, lol. After listening to it a bit, I think I need to pull that bright, driving bass down, side chain it a bit more. It checked out against the different tracks I was referencing though.

Maybe hard techno was the wrong term. Harder, industrial/psy influenced techno.

There's plenty of kick.. it's just not the usual exaggerated 909 smacking you in the face. Which is a nice change of pace at this point in time. Works well with the driving bass. There could be a bit less high and a bit more sub to it, but stylistically I like it.

dangayle wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:03 am
Oof. Stab me to the heart. That's like one of the worst things you can say to a techno producer, lol. After listening to it a bit, I think I need to pull that bright, driving bass down, side chain it a bit more. It checked out against the different tracks I was referencing though.

Maybe hard techno was the wrong term. Harder, industrial/psy influenced techno.
The kick completely disappears at 1 minute in. All the other elements completely overpower it and it disappears.

If you say it’s hard techno the kick needs to be front and centre.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Music Cafe”