Plugin Format AUv3 on iOS

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:50 pm ...
Mobile touch devices are a completely different beast and require a much different workflow...

So it's a bit different this time. some things are cooler and faster hands on (knobs, sliders), some take literally forever and are annoying af. (accurate editing, menus/submenus)
True.
Although, a new breed of mobile devices are coming. For instance, the Librem5, by puri.sm already allows basic peripherals, like keyboard & mouse, desktop monitor--whatever the Linux kernel might support--to be attached via USB-C. There's also Pine which is bringing forth alternative mobile devices.
Apple and Google won't be able to duopolize the mobile market forever--they may still lead, but hold everyone captive, no.
I surely wouldn't rule out mobile devices for pro-audio. Although, I think it's far off from prime-time.

lunardigs wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:18 am
True.
Although, a new breed of mobile devices are coming. For instance, the Librem5, by puri.sm already allows basic peripherals, like keyboard & mouse, desktop monitor--whatever the Linux kernel might support--to be attached via USB-C. There's also Pine which is bringing forth alternative mobile devices.
Apple and Google won't be able to duopolize the mobile market forever--they may still lead, but hold everyone captive, no.
I surely wouldn't rule out mobile devices for pro-audio. Although, I think it's far off from prime-time.
They might not be able to duopolize but without significant supporters its hard to maintain anything. Kinda reminds me of Linux DAWs. That work, and you can make a DAW on linux, but anything mac/win based is far superior.

The problem is that allowing keyboard/mouse/desktop monitor on a mobile device isn't doing anything it any favor, since it then works like a laptop/computer, when you disconnect it, you're back with the same issues you began with.

As it stands now, i can only imagine editing audio with something like a stylus. (Which people arleady did for decades on desktops with Wacoms)

Ploki wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:50 pm
tony10000 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:50 am
While that may be true, I kind of doubt it. I am seeing desktop devs getting sick of the rampant piracy and are either cutting back development or throwing in the towel.
funny, some people said "catalina killed the developers" with making a walled garden, and this is an exactly opposite opinion. :)
tony10000 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:51 am
At one point, folks said that about latop computers as well. LOL. The devices will evolve and improve. And it is interesting that Apple is working on allowing iOS apps to run in Apple OS.
They did?
However laptops offers the desktop experience but portable.
Mobile touch devices are a completely different beast and require a much different workflow...

So it's a bit different this time. some things are cooler and faster hands on (knobs, sliders), some take literally forever and are annoying af. (accurate editing, menus/submenus)
"Walled gardens" are quickly becoming the norm based on the number of portal apps I have had to install lately to access my plugins. They are becoming necessary due to rampant piracy as exemplified by pirates not only using the software but selling it online to make a profit!

If you haven't checked out iOS music apps lately, give them a whirl. GUIs and workflows have greatly improved as have export and integration options.

Urs wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:41 pm Our recent survey shows that less than 20% of people also make music on iOS. I reckon the market is a lot less than half the size of desktop music software. That and expected price points of less than a tenth of equivalent desktop software make this market not very attractive to us.

This may change in future, but some developer friends who did iOS tell us to forget about revenues.
Your numbers are holding up based on the little informal survey I am running. Mobile use is currently at 19% compared to 45% for the desktop:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=538831&p=7649687#p7649687

However, the market is in its relative infancy. It is becoming more viable as the number of applications increases and the integration tools get better. Audiobus 3 and especially AUM have improved integration, mixing, and export options tremendously.

I understand why an established market leader like u-he would not want to devote resources to mobile based on its present market size and revenue generating potential. However, it is a market to watch. After several fits and starts, it is starting to look pretty mature at this point.

Ploki wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:41 am
lunardigs wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:18 am
True.
They might not be able to duopolize but without significant supporters its hard to maintain anything. Kinda reminds me of Linux DAWs. That work, and you can make a DAW on linux, but anything mac/win based is far superior.

The problem is that allowing keyboard/mouse/desktop monitor on a mobile device isn't doing anything it any favor, since it then works like a laptop/computer, when you disconnect it, you're back with the same issues you began with.

As it stands now, i can only imagine editing audio with something like a stylus. (Which people arleady did for decades on desktops with Wacoms)
Yes, valid points.
I guess the mobile device applications I see would largely be headless. For instance, if you did have a U-he synth on your phone, would the benefit be sound design, or performance? I would naturally think performance. Thus, I'd only need the ability to attach a controller and use the phone screen to browse/switch patches. Of course, patch switching could be headless too.
The sound design part I'd leave to my workstation. Not least because my audio monitoring situation would be more appropriate.

I also see headless FX processing being a benefit. If I could grab-n-go a mobile device for my guitar rig, that would be sweet. Again, I'd need the ability to attach some USB devices; an audio I/O and a foot switch/pedal, say.

These would be killer applications for me.
The other big component here would be synchronization ...
With that said, the specter of all this is within reach. It's just going to take time to be realized.

Edit: One thing I'd say about Linux DAWs might be, look at Bitwig. Furthermore, look what U-he has contributed to Linux pro-audio. Mind you, pro-audio is a relatively small market compared to say, cloud computing, or enterprise IT. In the latter case, the incentive in Linux has been the enormous savings that might otherwise be spent on licensing. Google certainly couldn't have come to be without Linux. Imagine if they had to pay for licensing of Microsoft servers instead.
There's a similar incentive for pro-audio users too, which, I should hope will be realized by more people soon.

Return to “u-he”