Plugin Format AUv3 on iOS

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:46 am I don't think it's the future of music production, no. You can't have decent monitoring when you're out on a meadow. :)
And as I wrote: "And many musicians see the value to making music on their cell phones and tablets and having the ability to export the results to computer based DAWs for completion. " Editing, mixing, and monitoring will generally take place using computer based DAWs using studio monitors.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:53 am Laptop computers are not the standard in music production either. ;)

Computers or mobile devices for default home use are a different story.
Tell that to Martin Garrix and a lot of other EDM producers. LOL

Looks like a desktop PC to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfCmoEixxro

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:01 pm Looks like a desktop PC to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfCmoEixxro
Looks like a notebook to me. LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5zszWpa2LU

You noticed that "LIVE at ADE 2017"?

I doubt that he'd take his desktop computer with him to a live show.

But, dunno, maybe he even uses his laptop for producing at home now. That doesn't mean that the vast majority doesn't use a desktop though. For me, it would be pretty pointless to use a laptop, for various reasons. Price <-> performance ratio (and also the fact that laptops area always build with power saving in mind, because of mobile battery use), no big screen, so, you'd have to use a external monitor anyway, and, also more USB ports.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:08 pm You noticed that "LIVE at ADE 2017"?

I doubt that he'd take his desktop computer with him to a live show.

But, dunno, maybe he even uses his laptop for producing at home now. That doesn't mean that the vast majority doesn't use a desktop though. For me, it would be pretty pointless to use a laptop, for various reasons. Price <-> performance ratio (and also the fact that laptops area always build with power saving in mind, because of mobile battery use), no big screen, so, you'd have to use a external monitor anyway, and, also more USB ports.
A lot of DJ/producers use laptops pretty exclusively (especially on the Apple side) because they are portable and they are on the road most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJJUU5qdjbw

It is easy enough to connect a notebook to an external monitor and keyboard when producing at home. I've been using my laptop pretty extensively for the past few years even though I have desktops.

I guess that's the point: To be portable.

I wouldn't use a laptop for home use, for the reasons I stated. It's even more severe with mobile devices like tablet PC's, or smartphones. Those are power save, power save, power save, and a bit of performance. For the obvious reasons, portability and long battery life.

No worries, our stuff runs just fine on laptops. Don't need to port to iOS for that.

Urs wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:52 pm No worries, our stuff runs just fine on laptops. Don't need to port to iOS for that.
I'm looking at the future.

You can get an iPad for a bit over $300, add about $100 to $150 for a sequencer and instruments and you are in business. No hassles with installation, copy protection, configuration, etc. Very low-cost and low-friction way to make music. No wonder major companies are staking their claim.

Top-tier devs like u-he have nothing to worry about (although Markus at Tone2 says he is done making instruments). New devs are locked out of VST2 and can only develop for VST3 due to Steinberg shutting it down. That makes iOS a very attractive option. Even more attractive as Apple makes iOS apps available on MacOS. If Apple finds a way to make AU3 pervasive on the desktop, they will be able to integrate apps and instruments into the App Store infrastructure and take a nice cut.

VST3 is actually becoming less of a problem now since most DAWs support it more or less decently nowadays. There are only a few fringe DAWs not clued in yet. I don't think new devs not being able to develop VST2 makes iOS a more attractive option instead.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:10 pm VST3 is actually becoming less of a problem now since most DAWs support it more or less decently nowadays. There are only a few fringe DAWs not clued in yet. I don't think new devs not being able to develop VST2 makes iOS a more attractive option instead.
I don't see a lot of new VST instruments being introduced except at the low-end.

Mature instruments are being upgraded and that is about it. And I haven't seen many VST3 only instruments or effects. Market saturation has set in and piracy is a big problem.

iOS development has a lower bar to entry, a built-in distribution and promotion channel, and no piracy concerns.

If I was a dev, I would probably pursue iOS development.

Our recent survey shows that less than 20% of people also make music on iOS. I reckon the market is a lot less than half the size of desktop music software. That and expected price points of less than a tenth of equivalent desktop software make this market not very attractive to us.

This may change in future, but some developer friends who did iOS tell us to forget about revenues.

Urs wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:41 pm Our recent survey shows that less than 20% of people also make music on iOS. I reckon the market is a lot less than half the size of desktop music software. That and expected price points of less than a tenth of equivalent desktop software make this market not very attractive to us.

This may change in future, but some developer friends who did iOS tell us to forget about revenues.
Interesting info...I notice that prices are going up lately, though.

Boy, it'll be great one day when something like Flatpak becomes a means for universal distribution. I think we're seeing the beginnings of all this right now, with containerization of software. I think the future is bright here. Then discussions like this will hopefully become irrelevant. :)

tony10000 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:50 am
While that may be true, I kind of doubt it. I am seeing desktop devs getting sick of the rampant piracy and are either cutting back development or throwing in the towel.
funny, some people said "catalina killed the developers" with making a walled garden, and this is an exactly opposite opinion. :)
tony10000 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:51 am
At one point, folks said that about latop computers as well. LOL. The devices will evolve and improve. And it is interesting that Apple is working on allowing iOS apps to run in Apple OS.
They did?
However laptops offers the desktop experience but portable.
Mobile touch devices are a completely different beast and require a much different workflow...

So it's a bit different this time. some things are cooler and faster hands on (knobs, sliders), some take literally forever and are annoying af. (accurate editing, menus/submenus)

Return to “u-he”