Bitwig 3.1 - are you upgrading?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To make it more tangible, if you're on 3.0.3 and your upgrade plan has already expired or expires shortly - will you consider extending it due to features added in 3.1 (beta)?

I'm frankly very underwhelmed :(

1) I don't care about micro-pitch device, to "wobble" the tune of my instruments or use exotic tunings. And I doubt more than 5% of user base cares about it either. Producers nowadays have so little regard to make their tracks sounding musical that we should actually try & help them get better, not worse…

2) Interactive help is nice, but it's very rare when people get stuck with specific devices. More often than not they're asking for workflow tips, how to do something they know how to do in other DAW, how to make something work. The current interactive help won't ...help :)

3) I can't believe that apparently note brushing / painting was the most requested feature, but perhaps I underappreciate the number of trap producers using Bitwig?

Sure, it's not all bad. The 12-Notes modulator is perhaps fun, quick slicing of clips, audio events or MIDI notes can be useful and changes to the controller API will make Moss' life easier :)

For now, I'm not applying the upgrade code I bought in August...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

You just reminded me that I have an upgrade code sitting there that I bought in the summer. Thanks! But no I probably won't apply that currently. Who knows though, there will be some Push script updates from Moss that might be useful, so maybe I won't actually wait until the next update if I need it for that. But I'm certainly not using it during the beta or for a while anyways.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm...there will be some Push script updates from Moss that might be useful...
They're hinted at on Moss' github:

https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenByMoss/wiki/Changes
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

No i will not upgrade. Not a single feature i want/need which are

- Step Input Recording
- Capture MIDI (Retrospective recording)
- Audio Quantize
- Convert Audio to MIDI

If at least one of these were implemented i'd upgraded at once.
Last edited by Enrize on Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm still on the plan so I'll take the update but if I wasn't on the plan I wouldn't upgrade. These are nice features but are like you said, pretty "niche".

What JPRacer said.
-JH

Underwhelmed too. Not upgrading atm.
That said, I appreciate the announced features and will enjoy them, eventually. I'm just not compelled to upgrade right now.

I think I'm just going to move back to Ableton at this point. I really like Bitwig but there are some issues with the DAW that they don't seem to care to address, especially on the Mac.
Last edited by apoclypse on Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

I was underwhelmed (especially by the headline feature) but upgraded anyway as I also had a code sat around since July sales.

CV out of BWS is a big deal to me, so the ramps and envelope follower are worth having..the pluck ADSR is also pretty cool. I also have quite a few MPE VST's so the micro-scale is fun, but probably more fun if you have CV out...

I wonder if they had a 'bigger' headline feature (like networking?) they couldn't quite get ready in time as its been a while since the last release. Maybe they just felt under pressure to 'get something out' but there is more to come ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:18 pm I wonder if they had a 'bigger' headline feature (like networking?) they couldn't quite get ready in time as its been a while since the last release. Maybe they just felt under pressure to 'get something out' but there is more to come ;-)
After all this time without update I can't believe that what we get is supposed to be the next big thing. I agree with you about "feeling the pressure" and "get something out".

Nope I wouldn't upgrade... Waiting for useful features that apply to music production. :party:

The last two updates make me feel like they aren't really listening...

Nope, won't be buying in for this one. $169 for note chase is a little rich, I'll wait and see what's in 3.2...
MacPro 6,1 // Live 11 // Bitwig 4 // Reason 12 // Logic X // Soundtoys // U-he // FabFilter // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

Underwhelming for sure. Bigger things are probably under development but sadly, now we have to wait again 4-5 months, until the next version.

I like the upgrade, I wouldn't mind if they kept releasing more smaller upgrades more frequently now that the grid is here.

Hell yeah! This one is awesome. Just built just intonation on micro pitch. It sounds all new and super cool. Want to get some gamelan tuning systems dailed in next. Also I saw note catch is available now which is awesome for starting midi notes halfway through and what not. Also the quick draw will be cool for treating the piano roll like a sequencer.

I wasn’t able to do the vertical pitch painting though. Anybody know how?

Return to “Bitwig”