BOZ Transgressor 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BTW, I'd encourage you to download the trial and experiment, it's a useful plugin, but not especially difficult to get to grips with.

chrisstiles wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:37 am BTW, I'd encourage you to download the trial and experiment, it's a useful plugin, but not especially difficult to get to grips with.
Ok, have downloaded the demo and tried playing guitar into it. With the threshold high, it's totally level-dependent and quiet playing is passed to the sustain phase. With the threshold low, the behaviour is very strange, like a cycling gate. I get a repetitive stuttering sound on sustained notes, determined by the hold/release/repeat knobs, as the transient section repeatedly triggers.

By comparison, if I play guitar into NI Transient Master, the Elysia Nvelope plugin, Transpire or TransX, I get smooth "slow gear" effects or an enhanced plinkiness that follows my playing dynamics.

This is thing is much more like a gate than a transient designer, and it's telling that the demo videos operate on sampled drums.

I managed to get a more useful behaviour by whipping up a transient detector in Reaktor and using that to control the level of a signal to the sidechain:
transgressing-smaller.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

If you have the time and inclination I wouldn't mind taking a listen to the three audio clips you mention (unprocesseed, processed by elysia - which I also have - and processed by Transgressor).

Probably won't be tonight, but sure I'll make a demo when I can.

If nothing else, going to the Boz site made me notice that Big Clipper is also on sale, and I had my eye on that one! :D

Until January 31 you can get Transgressor 2 for $29.90, and win an extra $2 as store credit :arrow:  https://www.producerspot.com/product/boz-tarnsgressor-2
:phones: Music Loops - ProducerSpot.com

19,90€ on audiodeluxe.com

I'm wondering if the Transgressor is useful for techno/fat kick, kicks made on kick synth like Kick 2, etc...?
Because all the reviews, videos... I saw are about instrumental music like rock, pop.... But never with techno kick, etc....
I ask the same thing about the Boz Manic compressor and techno use on kvr.
These 2 plugins are on sale right now, and I appreciate that the Manic compressor is really low CPU.

It depends on whether you use a transient controller as part of your workflow. If you do then it’s potentially going to be useful - but you should try it and see.

I'd say, it's more useful on electronic material. Transgressor 2's greatest shortcoming is it being threshold based (as opposed to dynamics based); seeing as most electronically created material (same as most loops) are dynamically "steady", threshold based wouldn't be a problem. In all other respects I find Transgressor2 to be absolutely great.

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:39 pm I'd say, it's more useful on electronic material. Transgressor 2's greatest shortcoming is it being threshold based (as opposed to dynamics based);
It’s both ? The threshold works in conjunction with the dynamics based transient detection.

chrisstiles wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:50 pm
Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:39 pm I'd say, it's more useful on electronic material. Transgressor 2's greatest shortcoming is it being threshold based (as opposed to dynamics based);
It’s both ? The threshold works in conjunction with the dynamics based transient detection.
Good to know. In that case, I just don't find Transgressor's dynamic algorithm to be as smart as some of it's competitors.

Ok, thank you for your help.
So far, I just use basic transient shaper to make kick more punchy, etc...
But this Transgressor have interesting features, EQ, etc...
So, you think some Transgressor competitors would be a better choice ? (sorry, english is not my native language, I'm not sure if I well understand)
I cannot demo it right now, I'm not home, and I don't know if I will be able to, before the sale's end, it's why I asked question.
Even small priced, I don't want to buy a useless plugin (for my use).

chrisstiles wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:50 pm
It didn't seem like that when I tested it.

sarkazm wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:06 am Ok, thank you for your help.
So, you think some Transgressor competitors would be a better choice ? (sorry, english is not my native language, I'm not sure if I well understand)
I cannot demo it right now, I'm not home, and I don't know if I will be able to, before the sale's end, it's why I asked question.
For me Transgressort2 is far from being useless; its main advantage being a comprehensive EQ for both attack and sustain components. I use it mainly for unmasking when different parts clash with each other. For example, I can "scoop out" some frequency from a kick's sustain to make it sit better with a bass without affecting a kick's attack much. I also use Transgressor2 to "salvage" tracks of poor quality where again, I can make, say, a kick more pronounced by boosting low frequency attack and at the same time make bass softer by decreasing some low frequency in the sustain component.
I think $19.9 is a great price for such a tool.

In my practice, Transgressor's biggest competitor is Eventide Physion, which has much more functions, best (IMO) dynamics algorithm on the market but its EQ options are limited, compared to Transgressort2. Also it's more expensive.

sarkazm wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:06 am Ok, thank you for your help.
I do similar things to the previous poster and find it useful for similar reasons.

On the flip side, I'd assume that the worst case is that it never goes on sale again at this price and you end up spending $29.99 instead -- but on the other hand maybe now it's been offered once at this lower price it will again?

Return to “Effects”