Podolski NKS beta rev. 9313

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

yes, you read that right, our beloved freeware synth Podolski is going NKS.

Downloads:

Podolski NKS 9313 Mac
Podolski NKS 9313 Win

Besides adding NKS support, we also integrated our new preset browser system, and a lot of under the hood framework improvements, like more reliable installers, UTF8 support for installation paths, and, of course, the improved VST3 implementation (now with MIDI learn).

Note that this is a beta version, and the NKS implementation might change a bit until the final release. We might reorder/rename parameters, or add some more to the list.
Thus, if you are exporting your own presets as NKS with this beta version, you might have to do it again with the final release version, in order for them to work correctly inside KompleteKontrol.

The Mac version is now notarized, so it should be fully compatible with the current and future versions of macOS Catalina.
Please let us know if you experience any issues with the Mac installer.

Here is what has changed since rev. 3898:

New & improved:

* Mac installer notarized (Catalina)
* NKS support
* New preset browser
* Presets tagged and reorganized
* Browser: file system drag&drop support
* Browser: import/export of favourite assignments
* Improved VST3 implementation
* VST3 MIDI learn working
* Added undo/redo buttons
* Classic skin removed
* New user defined MIDI CC sources replace fixed expression and breath modulation
* Plug-in format and OS version info visible in GUI
* Init preset can be loaded from Data Display (for Win users: also works via right-click)
* Improved handling of 14bit MIDI CC assignment
* Windows installer improvements
* UTF8 support for installation paths added
* Mac installer improved to prevent permission issues
* Improved GUI response time on some Macs running Mojave (sluggish GUI)
* Windows GUI performance improved (less CPU load with open GUI)
* Sustain pedal now working according to standard (0-63 = off, 64-127 = on)
* Various other improvements and fixes

Known issues:

* No Linux version yet
* Version number is still 1.2.1
* NKS support still work in progress, mapping might change
* AU & AAX: tagthispatch not showing which tags are set
* AU & AAX: selecting a preset from a custom search root changes root path

IMPORTANT: Due to the new preset browser, please install the update into the same location as the previous version, and select all previously installed plugin formats during installation. Alternatively, you can remove the old files, and start over with a fresh installation. It is crucial to not install old and new plugin versions side by side, since the old versions can not cope with the new preset browser, and might crash.

Cheers,
Tas
Last edited by tasmaniandevil on Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One more thing: The preset library has been restructured (and trimmed), keep that in mind, presets are now sorted into categories. If for some reason you need to keep your old structure, you can deselect "Presets" during the install process, but of course you won't have any tagged presets then.

Viktor

Nice, thanks! Can you use the podolski presets inside zebra2? I like your presets very much.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:44 pm Nice, thanks! Can you use the podolski presets inside zebra2? I like your presets very much.
Nope, but within FilterscapeVA... that's the DNA link (heritage from 2004/2005). Some slight tonal differences though.

One quick suggestion regarding preset names: if there are numbered variants (i.e. TAS Acid 01, 02, 03...), to me it makes no sense to prepend 0 there. Just use 1, 2, 3, no?

Also it's a bit weird that in Pads section there's Analog Pad 1, 2, and 4, but you find 3 in Keys section...

EDIT: I see there are no presets by aMUSEd, Hans Hafner, Mystahrious, Rsmus7, SF01, and Various folder. I assume that's what you meant by "trimmed". Any reason why they were cut? :)

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:21 pmEDIT: I see there are no presets by aMUSEd, Hans Hafner, Mystahrious, Rsmus7, SF01, and Various folder. I assume that's what you meant by "trimmed". Any reason why they were cut? :)
They're coming, at least most of them. Some will be left out, some new ones will be added.

Reason the library isn't complete yet: We've crazy-style NKS-ified Podolski over the weekend (almost literally!) including tagging, controller maps, assets - so there wasn't time to tag the whole library. It's good tradition at u-he to use free stuff as a testbed to see if the current codebase is fit for a much larger release which is set to come a few days after (as member of the internal beta team: Make sure you have some time at the end of this week).

(not Z3)

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:21 pm One quick suggestion regarding preset names: if there are numbered variants (i.e. TAS Acid 01, 02, 03...), to me it makes no sense to prepend 0 there. Just use 1, 2, 3, no?
No. When you remove the leading zero the sorting will be messed up when you have also an Acid 11, 12 and 13.
Without zero the order would be 1,11,12,13,2,3,4.

None of the patches in Podolski have that many variants :)

Also, there exists this thing called "Natural sort" for filenames, which orders files with such number suffixes in a natural, human way ;)

Urs wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:17 pmWe've crazy-style NKS-ified Podolski over the weekend (almost literally!) including tagging, controller maps, assets - so there wasn't time to tag the whole library.

Awesome!
Urs wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:17 pmIt's good tradition at u-he to use free stuff as a testbed to see if the current codebase is fit for a much larger release which is set to come a few days after
Makes sense!
Urs wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:17 pm (as member of the internal beta team: Make sure you have some time at the end of this week)
Will do!
Urs wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:17 pm(not Z3)
Savage. :D

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:00 pm None of the patches in Podolski have that many variants :)
Maybe not in the default set that comes with a fresh installation.
Also, there exists this thing called "Natural sort" for filenames, which orders files with such number suffixes in a natural, human way ;)
Natural sort in the Preset Browser? Where?

I noticed the favourites circles look low res in the preset browser. Weirdly enough they are also low low res in the context menu. The low res circles in the context menu appear in all u-he products. The low res circles in the browser only in Podolski.

The size of the plugin is set to 150% but changing this value has no effect. Neither does using another DAW. Windows 10 1903.
low res.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rivanni wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 pmNatural sort in the Preset Browser? Where?
I'm talking about a programming algorithm for sorting things. Urs knows about it, I'm sure. And actually, it's already implemented in u-he's preset browser:

Rivanni wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:24 pm I noticed the favourites circles look low res in the preset browser. Weirdly enough they are also low low res in the context menu. The low res circles in the context menu appear in all u-he products. The low res circles in the browser only in Podolski.
Might be that the Windows graphics smoothing algorithm used in Podolski is older than in most other plugins. Not sure if we can update it, but good find, thanks.

EvilDragon wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:50 pm
Rivanni wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 pmNatural sort in the Preset Browser? Where?
I'm talking about a programming algorithm for sorting things. Urs knows about it, I'm sure. And actually, it's already implemented in u-he's preset browser:

Ah, in that case leading zeros are not necessary. Now I can stop my old habit of using them.

What a nice surprise...Thanks a lot for the new browser :)
Can't wait the same for Tyrell ns6 ;)

Return to “u-he”