Work in progress. Feedback appreciated.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/7zark7/092919e_70bpm

Work in progress made with Synapse-Audio Orion, Dune 3.2, Legend, Acoustic Grand, DrumRack,
Korg Electribe S2, 1010 Audio Bitbox, Roland JD-Xi, and some free samples.
As always, feedback is appreciated. Thanks for listening.

-7zark7

Obviously since it's a work in progress it's not mixed yet, so I'll just comment on the music. Interesting. Ominous, moody and evolves nicely if subtly. I like it. Can't wait to hear the finished version.

Thanks wagtunes,

Any commentary on the mix so far would also be helpful, as I tend to mix along the way. Don't hold back. I can take it.

-7zark7

Its good, I like it.
In terms of mixing. Sometimes less is more.
You have this dark pad which is right in there from the start. It doesn't disappear until 1:22.
Those pad type sounds really clutter a mix if you're not careful because they take up a lot of important freqs. At 1:22 when it goes its like the clouds have disappeared the the sun comes out and you can see more clearly.
I'd duck (or try panning) that pad in relation to another sound, if you have a masking EQ like Neutron 3 or Trackspacer etc.
Also, from 0:28 to 3:00 you have the same energy levels. Put a section in where things drop out, or take us to a new place for a few bars.
Overall I think its pretty good tho.
(btw: "less is more" is something I'm trying to learn too!)

Excellent feedback! Currently working on all three points. I will update soon.

Thanks a ton!
-7zark7

Kind of grows on me as I listen...always great movement going on. The sound is a bit digital to me so maybe add more touches of saturation...but that is only me thinking what i would do different...just own what you make and leave it at that.

Mix Updated.

-7zark7

:tu:

Mix Updated 11/02/19.

-7zark7

The arrangement is done very well...way better than I can put together. That high pitch squeal effect is awesome (hope you know what I mean). The guitar piece I thought was weak though....why not let that break up the monotony of the groove. Also I wonder if you added a slight bit of saturation to your sound what that would do? I thought some of your sounds (not all) needed some warmth added (saturation) at least in my opinion. Maybe that is what you wanted?

Thanks. I had applied saturation to the master after you mentioned it before. I added distortion to the new synth line, not to imitate a guitar, but for some glue, sustain, and saturation. I'm not happy with it, as a part, or production wise. I have no problem scrapping bad ideas. Most often I just abandon the sketch as a work in progress. I will try to either force that track to work or try to figure out just what else it is the piece needs.

Bangs head on keyboard.

-7zark7

Return to “Music Cafe”