Clearmountain Domain

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This was released yesterday. The price tag isn’t cheap, but it is impressive

https://apogeedigital.com/products/clea ... ins-domain

The longer I sit through this video, the more I want it. I think it’s all the randomization available that makes it so appealing. That and the pitch shifting delay/reverb capability.

https://youtu.be/dsKtJZ3PHu0

Warren Huart mentioned it was coming soon last week, so I got a little excited.

Just looked at the price. Not even going to watch the demos. I can't afford it.

I’m attempting a poor mans version, setting up fx send routings in Cubase. One delay fx, send that to a pitch shifter fx, send both of those to 3 reverb fx - small, medium and large/experimental, then send the source to the main delay fx and the 3 reverb fx and mix the sends to taste. Route all the fx to a single group channel as an overall wet/dry.
I’ve been able to get the HY-delay in PM mode similar to the sound and features of the Clearmountain delay (the ideal delay will have separate feedback for right and left, and eq and saturation in the feedback loop.) I found TAL-Dub delay works well too. Small and medium reverbs are convolution, large experimental reverb can be pretty much anything.
The DIY method won’t sound identical to the Clearmountain plugin, and lacks the unified randomization, but is more flexible and is fun to experiment with.
Even though the price may be out of reach this plug offers some nice insights into Bob Clearmountain’s creative fx routing techniques that he has refined over many classic albums - without even needing to buy it!

Right. I think some of the selling point for Domain though, is the reverb quality, and the De-esser that gets worked in to the effect (something I’ve never even thought to use in a time/pitch effects chain). I am really hoping to see an “introductory price” on it, but I think they are really aiming for the “professional” recordist who can write these things off as an expense.

W23 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:01 pm Right. I think some of the selling point for Domain though, is the reverb quality, and the De-esser that gets worked in to the effect (something I’ve never even thought to use in a time/pitch effects chain). I am really hoping to see an “introductory price” on it, but I think they are really aiming for the “professional” recordist who can write these things off as an expense.
I was hoping it was going to be a Waves plugin, so it would be $29 in a few months..

I usually keep these buses on my mixes: widener (doubler, micro pitch), delay, plates and room. On occasion I would crossfeed a bit, but it never occurred to me to wire them in line, it seemed the result would be psychotic.

This plugin is saying: don't worry about it being crazy, just do it and then dial back the wet. Also throw in a saturator or decapitator in there too (blur).

There's great value in all of this coming together as a single FX box. The random button is interesting for those ready to burn a couple hours goofing around. It should probably have more presets though, for something this powerful. Like what comes with Exponential Audio reverbs, literally a thousand presets. It could be hundreds and hundreds of things called stuff like "guitar slush and shout", "vocals to the moon", "coconut island blues".

Why would it need a lot of presets? At this price I don't think it's aimed at bedroom producers who use presets for everything.

Kinda like the logic for having a random button. There's so much going on that it helps to browse around to hear things and experiment.

For instance, I really enjoy doing that with a reverb. Move around some preset while I play my material to catch something that sounds interesting. I'll still tweak the settings, but now I have a starting place so things go faster.

Also a great example is a multitap delay. Sure you can build your own taps one at a time, but if instead you browse around presets, you can find something that sounds good then tweak quickly, instead of manually building up from scratch using up several minutes.

$349, didnt see that Elton endorsement yet. Too pricey for him?

Lol - A bedroom guitarist's dream for a Grammy-winning pro studio price.

Looks cool though :)

Yep - looks and sounds good.
Approx £200 overpriced though.

dark water wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:23 pm Yep - looks and sounds good.
Approx £200 overpriced though.
This was my estimate as well.

Black Friday is your friend !
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.7.2 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

I wonder, does this fundamentally do anything you couldn't replicate with your own homebrew plugin chain(s)? I mean, they were going on in the promotional stuff about how "difficult it was to replicate this using separate plugins", but why?
A well-behaved signature.

^^ generally speaking, not really.
Tbh, most of us have got shedloads of fx that can elevate a track or instrument nicely nowadays.
The plugin has its own ideas and does these well but it's only another option for the fundamental issue of varying sounds up.
Way too expensive though. You can buy about 3 top notch and varied plugins from other first class developers for the same price.

Return to “Effects”