One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dirtgrain wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:56 am... I don't get how quality of keyboards is worse, given all of our technological developments over the years. Go figure.
This just in: everything has become worse quality with cheap plastic and planned obsolescence...

Well, my computer is way better now than the Vic 20, Commodore 64, and Tandy 1000 that I used back in the day. Just saying . . .
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I could kick my 486 desktop and it would keep on ticking: built like a tank with a metal case, etc.. Try that with a cheap plastic HP laptop. Electronics manufacturing processes have improved, sure, but the build quality is generally crap to make things as cheap as possible, generally. Take one of those Nokia cell phones from 10-15 years ago compared to a recent iPhone -- which one would you trust to hold up?

Is the "discodsp" OBXD still the same engine as the old original OBXD? AFAIK they only added skins...? Since I used it many times and don't want to change the sound then. So is it ok to use the original OBXD instead?

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:17 am Is the "discodsp" OBXD still the same engine as the old original OBXD? AFAIK they only added skins...? Since I used it many times and don't want to change the sound then. So is it ok to use the original OBXD instead?
Its fine to use whichever version of Obxd you prefer. I think the latest has more voices, and may be more cpu friendly than the old.
ontrackp wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:11 pm Hey BJ and Richard -- any word on if we can use commercial plugs this month? Would be awesome!
For this comp the normal rules regarding plugins apply. i.e. freely available etc.
We will have a comp soon when commercial plugins will be allowed - this will be announced at the start of said challenge.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:17 am Is the "discodsp" OBXD still the same engine as the old original OBXD? AFAIK they only added skins...? Since I used it many times and don't want to change the sound then. So is it ok to use the original OBXD instead?
I’m using the “old” 2DAT version, discoDsp’s 1.4 and the new 1.5 because it’s already filled with some banks :)
But to my ears, the old one still sounds slightly better to my ears, when comparing them, using the same preset. Don’t know why but that’s what I hear.

Is there new version without installer? Just pure zip with dll and all other files needed. Hate installers, they just add more mess to messy registry.

@z.prime … hehe - I still have my Nokia! When people say "download this app", I say "can't, phone doesn't do apps" … they then say, "nah, you must be wrong, let me try for you". hand it over, and they stare at the monochrome display, try to work out why it has buttons with numbers on etc … they ask "where's the camera?".

I just say "It's a phone, you make and receive phone calls with it! And it doesn't have a camera!" … it stays charged for about a month … cheap to run, about £30 per year!

My DX-11 is built like a tank. Will last forever, so long as I can keep getting the batteries with the cables soldered on already!!!

dB

I'm kind of stoked how well drums work with the OBXd! I'm making this really neat drum patch with MuLab right now, I'm thinking about posting it when I'm done, really. It's kinda killer, I think. :hyper:

Keeping this tangent going, because I'm interested and somewhat invested:

The future in controllers for me involves full MPE support and an isomorphic layout. (and of course, durability.)
The future of synths as I see it involves tuning/timbral flexibility, MPE support, and effective user interfaces. Also creating a plugin format that isn't bad (Lv2 is close for me, but has some drawbacks).

I'm working (slowly) on a few plugin ideas; you'll hopefully see more of them soon, and with them a bit of my vision of future music software.

Also:
I appreciate AI/algorithmic music composition, but in my eyes credit goes more to the designer than the user (most of the time, at least). A good example for me is Skueue.

Finally:
I'm playing around with OB-Xd and it's quite powerful considering how simple it seems. Some things about it irk me but overall it's great.
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

Interesting that Skueue uses PD for his work. PD + GEM (graphics linked to audio) is fun! Used it a lot along with CSound.

dB

Here's my little drum experiment. The drums are pure OBXd without anything, not even EQ:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/obxperi ... 02/s-gJ0gS
...STILL NOT A SUBMISSION!!! Just some fun...

! WITHDRAWN !

My entry was starting to get on my nerves, I had to pull the plug on it.

And here's my drum experiment! Just for fun - my entry this month (I should never say I'm taking a break from OSC - it's a surefire way to suddenly be all over this month's synth! :lol: ) I saw Matt Johnson playing the real thing on YouTube, and the bug bit me. Not really a winning attempt, it has to be said!

19 instances from scratch.

Two effects: A TAL send reverb, quite sparsely used, and the Unlimited limiter for gain.

No EQ or automation, which I suppose is the most important thing to notice here - OB-Xd is a wonderfully well-balanced and well-filtered soft synth.

It's actually a thoroughly sublime synth - it gives me goosebumps to play around with it - feels like the real thing. Well, I don't know, I haven't played that, but it feels like a real thing.

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/fer- ... b-xd-wo-fx
Last edited by schiing on Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Very clean and cool drum track, Taron!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

This surely has to be the craziest track I've heard from you thus far! :lol: :o ...but it is properly peppered with greatness! Pretty authentic, too! Feels quite analogue. :tu:
THANKS, by the way! :hug:

Return to “Instruments”