One Synth Challenge #128: OB-Xd from discoDSP (mmGhost wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Schiing, this is really cool. Break is not an option with the flow of ideas like these :D
YT | SC | FB | IG | earror :ud: KO :ud:

Taron wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:54 pm Here's my little drum experiment. The drums are pure OBXd without anything, not even EQ:
schiing wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:56 pm And here's my drum experiment! Just for fun - my entry this month (I should never say I'm taking a break from OSC - it's a surefire way to suddenly be all over this month's synth! :lol: ) I saw Matt Johnson playing the real thing on YouTube, and the bug bit me. Not really a winning attempt, it has to be said!
Great stuff guys. You really motivated me for this round. I hope to get time to make something. I didn't even install the synth still waiting if somebody have link to no installer version. But if I do it will be drumming madness. :P

Oh, Trojak, the installer is really friendly. It's one you need not be worried about! But if you really can't have it any other way, let me know and I may just send you the DLL zipped or so... should work fine, I imagine, but even if it didn't, you just delete it and use the installer after all. It's a simple and friendly one, though. Not like that terrible stuff from Melda or what that was?!

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:17 am Is the "discodsp" OBXD still the same engine as the old original OBXD? AFAIK they only added skins...? Since I used it many times and don't want to change the sound then. So is it ok to use the original OBXD instead?
discoDSP build uses better filters. The quote below is from DSP coder 2Dat:
Latest version is more physically correct. It's based on a "mystran" tangent method and does good with lightly non-linear filters such as Oberheim Ob-x or SEM.

The non-linearities in the latest filter version are not an exact approximation to a diode pair, but rather like a "soft" saturation curve. I thought it sounded better at the moment.
Cheers,
George.

Oh, Hey, great that you join in, George!
I'm having a blast with the OBXd. What sometimes throws me off a little is the filter's 24dB behavior (or lack thereof) when Bandpass is on. If that turns off the BP (what it appears to do), I'd ghost it on the UI when 24dB is on. :shrug:
Other than that, I really am thrilled with this one. It's always a good sign, when I'd wish for less authenticity to get some more modulation control, because the sound of it is so nice and the good old "if only it could..." kicks in! :hihi:

Anyway, you guys rock! :tu: ...for me it behaves rock solid, by the way, very cpu friendly and well... love the sound!

You're welcome! ;)
Oh, and I've just updated my little drum experiment... added a few things like cymbals and an 808-like cowbell (later in the track!):
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/obxperi ... 02/s-gJ0gS
STILL NOT SUBMISSION!

Thanks, guys! And thank YOU, George - it's a brilliant piece of software.

Sounds great, Taron. I really love the pads on the OB-Xd, and it's probably the first thing that comes to mind when I think of it. But once you start experimenting with short decays - well, there's a little piece of heaven to be found there, too.

I've updated my track as well - added a few instances, adjusted the bass elements (still no eq, though!) to remove some mud - and I reinforced the "klezmer" elements.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Related to what Taron is saying, the 24dB does weird (lowpass-y) things when you have the multimode knob up. I'm using that for effect in my track, but it would be nice to have 24dB highpass as an option.

Oh, and a tempo synced LFO would be nice (even if inauthentic). I had to do some wonky midi stuff to get that to work.

It's a fun synth to mangle and detune/retune.
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

] Peter:H [ featuring a track by El Oficinista Del Infierno.
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/el-s ... te/s-OWytu
This track is dedicated to Hocico, google translate, trance standard patterniarios and it took a lot of inspiration from my utter will to take the world serious. All instrumentos completely done from scratchamente by El Oficinista Del Infierno.
For the OSC release I may remove the serious lyrics, but actually I think office tools are way to rarely featured in song lyrics...

Hah, I had an old version of this synth on my machine for 2 years or so, never got around to actually use it .. turns out I like it, sounds good! :)

I also just found out there's a few automatable parameters that don't show up on the GUI.
I guess these features could be useful for someone :D

- lfo can actually be synced to host tempo
- the "pitch env" control can be made to affect both oscillators instead of just osc2
- the filter envelope can also be used to modulate pulse width of osc2, or also both oscillators
- the filter envelope can be inverted, which will affect all possible targets (cutoff, pitch, pulse width)
- pulse widths of osc1 and osc2 can be offset

tomx2188 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:10 pm .....
I also just found out there's a few automatable parameters that don't show up on the GUI.
I guess these features could be useful for someone :D
Thanks.
I guess I should have looked closer to the list of parameters in the automation options. I did see some odd ones, but didn't get around to seeing what they did.

Now I have to go back and see what I can mess with:-)

I made a bunch of random presets using VPG, which made me aware of some of the additional parameters... guess I should have looked harder. Would be nice to see more of those on the GUI at some point.
mostly here for the One Synth Challenge
you can hear some of my newest music at: https://wrenharmonic.bandcamp.com/ or https://www.youtube.com/@wrenharmonic

Here's a little gift for all MuLab users... a neat little drum MUX with pure OBXd modules, nothing else. But I've added individual outputs, too, for convenience, even if I believe it's easiest to just add EQ and such inside the MUX modular area. :shrug:
Hope you like it! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Happy to squeeze this synth for all its glorious tone! But there is a problem... Am i right in saying that in FLSTUDIO the automation just doesn't work?
What is imagination for if not to create the universe?

Return to “Instruments”