All things pedal related.

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Forgotten wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:54 pm I started with individual pedals, moved to multi-FX units, then back to pedals.

I much prefer the configurability of individual pedals, and while FX boards have improved greatly, I often find they have a gap in the kind of sounds they produce where I struggle to dial a particular sound in.
The Boss MS-3 is nice for this reason. It has the great sound of their 500-series digital pedals and doesn't try to take the place of your analog pedals. To me, it's one of the most well thought out and useful devices on the guitar market.

perfumer wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:03 pm Is anyone playing pedals only, without an amp/cab?

(Listening through normal stereo speakers, or headphones.)
Lately I've been using the Ibanez TK-999US (which is actually a modded Tube Driver, made by BK Butler) into amp modelers. That's only for studio use, though, and I wouldn't do it live.

I've really only bought a couple of stompboxes ever for guitar... some really crap sounding Ibanez distortion in the 80's, and then a Boss metal something or other a few years later. More recently, I've bought a ton of pedals, but I almost exclusively use them on synths. As for guitar, the Helix floorboard pretty much covers all my needs.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Jafo wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:32 pm ISTR reading that Hendrix did that on an early cut, just going through a Fuzz Face... "Purple Haze," maybe?
Metallica did it on Ride The Lightning.

Uncle E wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:40 am
Hink wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:53 pm a lot of my pedals I built, my favorite is a ts clone with boutique mods :tu:
The Ibanez TS9DX modded with the correct opamp and capacitors is my current favorite TS. The Suhr is also very nice.
mine might get replaced, I just went to ggg to get the info on mine and they have mine with a six way diode selector...same mods as mine...the so called "very expensive" mods.

https://store.generalguitargadgets.com/ ... ption.html
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Uncle E wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:43 am
Forgotten wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:54 pm I started with individual pedals, moved to multi-FX units, then back to pedals.

I much prefer the configurability of individual pedals, and while FX boards have improved greatly, I often find they have a gap in the kind of sounds they produce where I struggle to dial a particular sound in.
The Boss MS-3 is nice for this reason. It has the great sound of their 500-series digital pedals and doesn't try to take the place of your analog pedals. To me, it's one of the most well thought out and useful devices on the guitar market.
Good to know. Thanks!

Hink wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:02 am I use to hear people talking about using pedals direct and wonder how...I kept trying different pedals in the 80's and 90's with no satisfaction, the sound is cold, harsh and brittle, it lacks any character whatsoever (for me anyhow). Then in the late 90's I went into daddy's junky music in nashua nh after buying my akai dps12i and bought a sansamp gt2...wow, one of the biggest jaw droppers for me tone wise ever...but it's an emulator and has basic speaker emulation.
The GT2 is what I have, but the more recent model of it, which they state has a number of improvements. It’s not going to replace a real amp, but for me it’s so much better than going straight into a mixer.

the main benefit to pedals over a floor board is signal flow.
i believe some of the newer ones are more "modular" in this respect, but older ones you had a fixed order, which wasn't always suitable for a certain sound

vurt wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:16 pm the main benefit to pedals over a floor board is signal flow.
i believe some of the newer ones are more "modular" in this respect, but older ones you had a fixed order, which wasn't always suitable for a certain sound
They're also analogue.
DSP - the ability to save and recall patches, connectivity and digital fizz.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

well, the analogue ones are analogue yes :hihi:
theres some great digital delays and reverbs out there though 8) (not to mention samplers/loopers)

but, yeah not a fan of dsp gain stuff, especially fuzz. needs wooly.

Yeah, fuzz is probably the number one effect that just doesn’t work digitally. I think flangers is another area - if they don’t have hiss and other noise they don’t sound right to me.

For sure, that demo you posted of the Ananashead Super Fuzz sounds fantastic.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:25 pm For sure, that demo you posted of the Ananashead Super Fuzz sounds fantastic.
I love that pedal and have been playing into it lately without even thinking of putting it on my pedal board. Still using the Ibanez but keep thinking I've got to run my Tele and my 7 string through it.

Hink wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:53 am mine might get replaced, I just went to ggg to get the info on mine and they have mine with a six way diode selector...same mods as mine...the so called "very expensive" mods.

https://store.generalguitargadgets.com/ ... ption.html
Looks cool! I'll get it if you say it's good. VHT has a multi-mode TS that seems interesting, too.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:39 pm Yeah, fuzz is probably the number one effect that just doesn’t work digitally.
The Queens of the Stone Age fuzz sounds a lot like the Line 6 octave fuzz to me. It's a much tamer and duller sound than an actual Tycobrahe and seems to work well in that context:

http://youtu.be/hGRqnNEOpe0?t=60

Return to “Guitars”