What synths have the most usable presets?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dirtgrain wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:13 pm I wonder about Szabo's Viper lately. Some have said it has nice presets in the threads I looked at.
I am a Virus true believer who still feels that the TI is the one hardware synth that rules over every synth plugin out there (VA or not). But then I heard how closely Viper can replicate the Virus sound. But Szabo seems to be a one man operation who doesn't have the resources to create Mac versions of his plugins. That's a non-starter for me (and makes me wonder how long he will be able to support his products or even remain in business). Plus there seems to be a copyright and/or software development issue with implementing the Virus wavetable oscillators in Viper which are one of the coolest features of the TI.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

e@rs wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:27 am I really dig the presets in Tone2 synths, especially those by Markus.
Thanks a lot! :hug:

Gadget Fiend wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:12 pm But Szabo seems to be a one man operation who doesn't have the resources to create Mac versions of his plugins. That's a non-starter for me (and makes me wonder how long he will be able to support his products or even remain in business). Plus there seems to be a copyright and/or software development issue with implementing the Virus wavetable oscillators in Viper which are one of the coolest features of the TI.
I just checked and Windows is still 87% of the operating system market share. I think I will be good for a while. Also please dont spread false information, the wavetable oscillators have already been implemented in Viper, and you can even load your own wavetables which you couldnt do in the Virus.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

adamtrance wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:40 pm I just checked and Windows is still 87% of the operating system market share.
That sounds like an overall number, I would expect there are far more OSX users when you look at audio / media production only?

Yeah, I'd rather think that, for audio software, the ratio is at least 50:50, if not balanced towards Mac OS.

For my taste, hip-hop with not too 'shiny' synth sounds, Korg Collection. Monopoly, Ms20, Polysix. But I'm still using the demo lol

chk071 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:30 pm Yeah, I'd rather think that, for audio software, the ratio is at least 50:50, if not balanced towards Mac OS.
Dont think so, FL studio which was only Mac a couple of years ago, was way too popular for it to only be the same users as mac ones. I think there are more PC audio users still.
http://www.adamszabo.com/ - Synths, soundsets and music

Any u-he has great presets. Even the free ones like TripleCheese, have some really cool ones.
For the worst I'd say Massive X. Comes with a bunch of unusable experimental gibbrish.

Rob Papen synths come with lots of presets. Usable? Depends on taste.

adamtrance wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:21 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:30 pm Yeah, I'd rather think that, for audio software, the ratio is at least 50:50, if not balanced towards Mac OS.
Dont think so, FL studio which was only Mac a couple of years ago, was way too popular for it to only be the same users as mac ones. I think there are more PC audio users still.
Gforce released their OB-E synth exclusively for Mac OS, because they found out in a user survey that most of their users use Mac OS. FWIW.

LOTS of Mac OS users here and elsewhere as well.

Viper has most useful preset library i've try so far.
This is the only synth made by sound designer.
I am considering it as serious challenge to make my own set and people to compare it to what Adam already did.
Virus sound for 70 euro it's amazing offer.
2bad nobody pay me for all the good stuff i can say for this beautiful synth.
Most synths have tons of weird designers presets which people can't understand.
Ordinary users just need ready for d mix sound.
And some nice modulations with mod wheel :)
Cheers :)

Gadget Fiend wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:59 pm
cryophonik wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:20 pm Omnisphere is definitely one of the best in that regard.
Omnisphere has what, 8,000 presets? And yet I can spend hours using it's browser before I can find anything remotely usable. Despite Spectrasonics' hype and hyperbole, Omnisphere is mostly just a so so ROMpler with marginal native synthesis capabilities (but a great arpeggiator). Spectrasonics' true core competency is spin.
While that’s kind of an exceptionally spicy take on Omnisphere, I kind of agree. There’s some lovely presets in it, but few that I have an easy time fitting into a track for the kind of thing I do. They have that “wow” factor, but often don’t quite work for me when it comes to fitting them into music.

going through preset is a drag. on every synth. occasionally you find something vaguely usable but it's usually faster to make your presets preset from scratch. For basic synths you can get the sound you want with a few tweakings. And for more complex synth you usually don't need to have too much going on. Presets are usually super impressive sounding but absolutely unusable in the context of your music. plus it's your music; it'll be more gratifying and personal to make your own patches. I mean to each his own.

Bulbizarre wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:52 pm unusable experimental gibbrish.
My best review on Match.com
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Apart from the usual list of workhorse synths, I increasingly prefer synths that do a few things particularly well. I like bass sounds from Razor, short tonal sounds from Kontour, and long lush sounds from Absynth, among others.

Return to “Instruments”