I'm too perfectionist and spend 6 months - 1 year in avarage to complete songs. Am I alone? Hey,

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am very inspired by this thread. Nice to have some feedback. I listened loud and I must say it's not bad. Somewhat less progressive than I had expected, but this lead wow totally uncalled for but yeah at least it's a production now.
I can't upload at the moment. I have no clue what my soundcloud pass is either. I have to wait until sunday. Afraid that SC messes the file up, it's very tense.
Anyway, thanks to the OP! :)

The only thing I can say is: never stick to any gun in this bizz. My 2c.

I just made a house track under a different alias. When it went to spotify, I noticed that I just made B part full but forgot the meat from the A part :dog:

So now it has a nice long intro, basic beat for A and the whole idea of the song in B :cry: :lol: :oops:

Lol I made some last cuts. I use this trick: I reference with 90s tracks, if my tracks sound more defined, more balanced, then I know that I am in the right direction.
Oh I have another trick: I never move any fader in my DAW. Faders are a thing of the past.

PS a painter is not going to adjust the size of their canvas either while they are painting. Makes no sense. They kind of figure that out in advance. They let their working space untouched. I assume it's a matter of focus.

Sometimes I’ll just sit at the piano and play something while recording. Once in a while I’ll just consider something finished and not even add other instruments.

excuse me please wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:33 pm Faders are a thing of the past.
faders are a fad!

vurt wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:57 pm
excuse me please wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:33 pm Faders are a thing of the past.
faders are a fad!
Knobs are the future!

don't you start teasing reggie as well :lol:

:lol:

dasen wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:12 am I'm a perfectionist. Am I alone? How do I become better at not falling into perfectionism traps and finish songs faster?
Yes, you're alone. Everyone here finishes their songs. You should be banned. :hihi:

Jokes aside... yes, I'm kinda perfectionist. But, OTOH, I rarely look back to my published songs and think "What was I thinking?". Even for 6-8 years ago songs, I'm quite happy with the final results.

Besides, I like the feeling when I finish a song. Even during the "release candidate" stage (yes, I treat my songs as computer software), I get really excited. The feeling would not be the same if I was able to produce 2-3 songs a week so I'm okay with it. When I become famous it will be a problem but, for now, it's a good pace. :oops:

Of course, I have some 10 years old unfinished songs that needs to be concluded, but it's more to do with being unable to translate the sounds I have in mind for them. As an example, I'm almost finishing a 2 years track because only now I was able to program the sound I always had in mind for an arp. Not funny, but rewarding nonetheless.

I had the same problem. I started time limited contests. Now I'm cured. :party:

i follow the ancient zen koan "f**k it, itll do".

You mean full-time one year work on one song, or what?

Get therapy!

You probably finish songs but don’t realise they’re finished. I often go back to songs I’ve finished maybe 4 or 5 years ago, pull the faders down and start again. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t finished; I just now think I have better vst’s to use and acquired better production skills. Well that’s what I think FWIW.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Aloysius wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:48 am I've been 5 years on my current 3 minute epic. I've changed every bit of it hundreds of times over. I don't know how you manage to finish things so quickly.
Good texts need time! :D
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Production Techniques”