Waves Plugins worth $0?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:12 pm But that is kinda the rub for me personally. They want WUP AND a transfer fee?
That really is obnoxious. Requiring wup renewal before a paid license transfer is what i refer to as paying for the privilege to pay them.

No matter. Consumer (un)friendliness aside, i really don't see much in waves. I use vocal rider frequently, and i like Reel ADT and H-verb, but the majority of their popular plugins are emulations and i personally think there are a lot of companies that do character/analog style stuff that sounds better than waves without an annual fee.

IMHO - Waves is kind of like budget UAD/Brainworx, but also uhe, Softube, Boz Digital, Soundtoys, Klanghelm and others make analog style plugins that i think sound better

I have what I have. I'm not going to be unreasonable about it and delete everything. But I also won't be buying anything from them ;)

Personally, Ive never got the whole reselling licence software (cos thats what you’re doing after all). I’ve got probably too many vst’s & fx and don’t use every single one, but don’t recall ever selling one. Buying one at a knock down price is another matter :P
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:37 pm Personally, Ive never got the whole reselling licence software (cos thats what you’re doing after all). I’ve got probably too many vst’s & fx and don’t use every single one, but don’t recall ever selling one. Buying one at a knock down price is another matter :P
It's called GAS. Here is what I used to do. Demo everything on sale, buy it (because of course I can make it sound good) and then realize I've got too much stuff. In the last couple of years I've really tempered that and now what I have is what I use with few exceptions. A lot of people do the same thing. They like the high of buying new stuff and then either get sick of it or realize it's redundant.

It's generally not worth it anymore. Between fees and people basically wanting it for free it's too much of a bother.

So come on, Waves, wake up. For one, I’d like them to understand there’s a difference between the high professional users of their plugins and us mortals.

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:26 pm I have what I have. I'm not going to be unreasonable about it and delete everything. But I also won't be buying anything from them ;)
I think that's the bottom line. I just bought the CLA Mixhub so I'm still buying things from them, they are not "blacklisted" for me. But their choices have created a very high threshold before I buy one of their plugins.

I'll probably still buy more Waves plugins. If I see the new headphone room on sale I'll probably get that too. But it doesn't have to be this way, they could have me as a customer. There's a dozen of their plugins I'd want to own. But because of the way they carry themselves, they've created an environment in which to give them my business I have to be positively wowed by their plugins and convinced they'll take me to a new height. That's a lot to ask of a plugin.

I made one error in that statement, I might be talked into the Abbey Roads thingy but it's not anytime soon. I'm not trying to mix like a pro and really with all my expenses can't afford.

So I kinda lied, but other than that I don't need anything else. I have ALL of bases covered except headphone mixing treatment (No, I can't have monitors, period)

There are so much more users, running many more music systems this day and age. This meant that Waves was able to rethink their pricing point and sales strategy along the way. No longer were they restricted to charging expensive prices to the small few who could afford it.

It seems their strategy is more along the micro transactions of an App Store this day and age. Well not quite to that extent. It doesn’t mean they are cutting production costs and making cheaper tech. Indeed, it’s the opposite. They just have a larger customer base they can sell to now, driving down the costs considerably.

Having lower price points also discourages piracy and helps them to remain competitive with other smaller companies.

I don't want to make you all feel worthless, and I'm not sure I'm allowed to tell you all this, but a week or two ago, Waves sent me . . . secret sales prices. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. My teachers were always telling me that I was special, and now to have it validated by such a privilege from Waves is swell. They must see my potential. That's it. I have to be the chosen one. Man, this is better than the day I got in the phone book. Well, I held onto my secret for a week or so, but I just had to tell somebody. And, what the heck, I'll be inspirational--if you try hard enough, you might become special, too, and get secret sales prices.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I don't get it. All that butthurt. People are literally saying that they are not buying plugins because they are too cheap. If you think Waves plugins are too cheap and devalued you are obviously free to happily buy your 350$ UAD plugins. That is, of course, after you have bought your 2000$ "accelerator" card with the power of a 1999 Pentium III. :shrug:

Waves has been doing surprisingly well adjusting to changing market realities. What they have done has been market leading as far as plugins are concerned, but it's not revolutionary in boarder contexts. Microsales and microtransactions have been shown to work well in other markets like gaming. Waves sales are pretty much the same GOG and Steam had successfully been doing for years. With this model they have adjusted themselves to market where there's saturation of plugins but also exploding market among the hobbyist. Not sure about that but I guess they have also lessened piracy of their plugins. And they have beat the second hand market.

You might argue whether latter one is a good thing but it's certainly good from Waves perspective. I have bought and sold couple of Waves plugins from SH market myself back in the days but now It really makes sense to get anything you want from Waves directly. As far as resale value, Waves is not worse than others. 29$ or 19$ or 9$ iLok plugin has a fixed transfer price of 25$ (and 50$ is you transfer two) so Waves looks pretty ok in comparison. And then there's developers who do not even allow second hand sales.

The fact is that Waves still makes great new plugins and there's nothing wrong with their old ones either.
No signature here!

ramseysounds wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:37 pm Personally, Ive never got the whole reselling licence software
I don’t get the whole idea of people not getting it. Seems a pretty simple concept :shrug:

Id rather just leave the software on my machine. Sometimes an often unused vst can provide a sound / effect that you're looking for. My opinion; is that ok? :P
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:52 pm Id rather just leave the software on my machine. Sometimes an often unused vst can provide a sound / effect that you're looking for. My opinion; is that ok? :P
Well, you are offering a perfect reason for keeping software around, even if doesn't tend to get used that often. But I'm not sure why that would stop you being able to understand some of the reasons other folk would want sell licences :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:14 pm
ramseysounds wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:52 pm Id rather just leave the software on my machine. Sometimes an often unused vst can provide a sound / effect that you're looking for. My opinion; is that ok? :P
Well, you are offering a perfect reason for keeping software around, even if doesn't tend to get used that often. But I'm not sure why that would stop you being able to understand some of the reasons other folk would want sell licences :shrug:
Yes, Universal Harmony & Understanding. :pray:

Say, what is g.a.s.?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Return to “Effects”