What guitar gear have you bought/are you buying/will you buy?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sennheiser E906, placed at the a centre of the cone and one inch from the grill, this sounds like the amp in the room with good off axis-rejection, happy days.

wdmusic.com for custom pickguards. They have plain black pickup covers that I put on my passive pickups to make them look like actives.

vurt wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:39 pm he will at least need strings and plectrums at some point :hihi:
This is killing me now. I've got plenty of guitars and desperately in need of new strings but they aren't on the budget. Haven't put new strings on in over a year.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Flatwounds?

Have you done mineral oil and the slap trick?

It's been a while since I've fed my guitar anything new. There's one pedal I've wanted to try for a while and never pulled the trigger. That finally changed over the weekend and I ordered an EQD Afterneath. Will it have a practical use? Maybe... Maybe not. Will I noodle with it once in a while? Better believe it.

Whoops, I seem to have a Jaguar now :lol: It's a Player model; the controls are a bit simplified but there is plenty of room under pickguard for mods.

Not what I was expecting the next guitar to be, but... I found a used one at a good price that plays well. And "reasonably-priced used Jaguar/Jazzmaster" is THE alternative rock guitar :D
I'm already practicing Nirvana and Placebo riffs, which Sonic Youth records do I need to buy?

Is that the one with the humbucker?

I'm pretty sure I need another guitar. I mean like more than usually :hihi:

I've grown very fond of baritone tones, currently looking at options.

Uncle E wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:59 am Is that the one with the humbucker?
Yeah, HS configuration with the switch on horn acting as coil-tap. Apparently the routing is generous if you want to swap the single for something bigger; I was wondering about rails, though. Anyway, should get familiar with the stock pickups first! All settings seem usable.

imrae wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:41 pm , which Sonic Youth records do I need to buy?
all of them?
definitely, dirty, daydream nation and goo.

I didn't buy anything for a long, long time, but I've ordered BOSS Waza Air. should arrive today, plenty of excitement.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

imrae wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:30 pm Yeah, HS configuration with the switch on horn acting as coil-tap. Apparently the routing is generous if you want to swap the single for something bigger; I was wondering about rails, though. Anyway, should get familiar with the stock pickups first! All settings seem usable.
According to the following thread, the $14 rail pickup on Amazon sounds similar to the Dimarzio Chopper:

https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/dima ... ew.501107/

They also say that both pickups sound like very good single coils when wired parallel. I ordered a pair of the Amazon ones and will report back how it goes.

Uncle E wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:31 pm
imrae wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:30 pm Yeah, HS configuration with the switch on horn acting as coil-tap. Apparently the routing is generous if you want to swap the single for something bigger; I was wondering about rails, though. Anyway, should get familiar with the stock pickups first! All settings seem usable.
According to the following thread, the $14 rail pickup on Amazon sounds similar to the Dimarzio Chopper:

https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/dima ... ew.501107/

They also say that both pickups sound like very good single coils when wired parallel. I ordered a pair of the Amazon ones and will report back how it goes.
An interesting option for this setup would be the Ibanez 2502N 5-way switch. This is intended for HH guitars and pre-wired to give a nice set of series and parallel options. I'd consider wiring it "backwards" though so the bridge pickup gets the solo-parallel option.

Would have to think of something else to do with the switch on the horn, in that case...

Burillo wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:27 pm I didn't buy anything for a long, long time, but I've ordered BOSS Waza Air. should arrive today, plenty of excitement.
the thing arrived. i got it for a single purpose: to have a way of "just picking up and playing" without fussing about with any wires and being completely quiet. Waza Air fulfills this purpose completely - no wires, no fuss, just pick it up and play. very satisfying.

what's disappointing is the software. in the age of Helix, countless VST's etc., Waza Air is unbelievably limited, as not only it does not allow loading custom IR's, it doesn't even have different built-in cabs, or even different mics/mic positions! the idea behind it appears to be that it's a replacement for a physical Katana, rather than a product in its own right, which is completely stupid if you ask me.

there's wide variety of FX, but they don't really sound all that good - clean and crunchy sounds are fine, but anything with gain is mushy and flubby. I haven't dug into the sounds that much, and I'm positive I'll be able to coax something useful out of it eventually, but holy crap it shouldn't be this much effort! especially since the only way to adjust sound is with an app, which is f**king awful.

the "amp in a room" mode is fun but very disappointing in execution, because of gyro drift and overly aggressive HRTF processing, it doesn't feel realistic - but I was aware that it's been considered a gimmick by pretty much anyone who tried it, so I wasn't expecting much. however, I must say that playing through this thing solo does sound cool, it's just that using it with backing tracks hurts more than it helps.

so, overall I'd say that Waza Air is a really cool concept, and it fulfills its main purpose for me so I'm quite happy with it, but it leaves a lot to be desired in its execution. it's very far from perfect, and there doesn't seem to be any development or updates happening from BOSS.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Return to “Guitars”