Native Instruments Form Alternatives/PSOLA Synthesis?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ya, don't bother coming to a forum where ideas are supposed to be shared and expect someone to explain something, ha. (I did google it and found some research paper abstract on it--was interesting for a few moments, but I don't get into math anymore--blech).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I searched PSOLA (without google) and found a good bit of information. PDFs and even a wikipedia (not a source that i trust on many subjects, but audio synthesis it is ok.) I’m quite interested but it seems that Rayblaster and Form are the only two synths utilizing the tech. I don’t have either one. Awesome to discover another method of noise making though.
As a user who is more interested in synth capabilities than “ease of use” i would also prefer that devs are more forthcoming about the technology they implement.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I feel like this suffers from the opposite problem of Form, where the sound generation is much more flexible but the design of the plugin makes it more of a hassle to program. Seems like it was made with single cycle waveforms in mind and not longer samples, even if you technically can import wav files and scan through them.

And maybe it's just me, but the "resynthesized" material doesn't sound faithful to the source material unless you set the grainsize/tune to a really low value, and at that point it sounds more like chopped up grains than a clean timestretch like in Form. Not necessarily a problem if you only plan on mangling things beyond recognition, I guess.

I think you might be right bellsworth; I did buy it years ago knowing it had a sound like no other synth/sampler, not knowing it had PSOLA functionality. I don't quite remember what annoyed me about it (apart from the knobs, but Tone2 knobs are always a bit weird) but it was enough for me to sell it, which I hardly ever do. It might have had something to do with the deconstruction/reconstruction of the sound which didn't remain faithful.

Kind of tempted to pick it up again now it's (almost) half price! Ready to be disappointed..

Speech synthesis then.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

As far as speech synthesis as a whole, I know Wolfgang Palm's Phonem exists, which seems like an interesting idea.

Return to “Instruments”