Who blocked the thread "Jackd on Linux - Midi input fix" ?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Who blocked the thread "Jackd on Linux - Midi input fix" ? and for what purpose ?

I agree.
It was a new thread, informative and helpful.
It addressed very common issue people have with Bitwig on Linux.

And even though there was a guy that came across as kind of stuck up and started insulting more or less, I have no problem with that, we can all have bad days.

The thing is, the thread was locked w/o any explanation whatsoever. Perhaps giving the impression that this stuck-up guy who was starting to throw insults had something to do with the actual action of closing the thread. Could someone even think that he's related to KVR and/or Bitwig with his mere 13 posts total to provoke such an abrupt locking of the thread ?

Hah! Yeah, I was following that thread. Yup, forums ...

mevla wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:27 am Who blocked the thread "Jackd on Linux - Midi input fix" ? and for what purpose ?
Its locked, not blocked and i would assume it was done by the OP.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

Kypresso wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:31 pm
mevla wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:27 am Who blocked the thread "Jackd on Linux - Midi input fix" ? and for what purpose ?
Its locked, not blocked and i would assume it was done by the OP.
"Locked" as my second comment shows. Now that it's 'locked' and not 'blocked' (what a relief !) it is possible for me to lock a thread I created isn't it ? Never tried it. Let me try ...

Nope. I can't block a thread I created. The 'quick-mod tools' featuring 'lock topic' at the bottom of the page does not seem to work. Oh my, is it a feature that's enabled for people who only have exactly 13 comments total in their history ?

mevla wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:31 amOh my, is it a feature that's enabled for people who only have exactly 13 comments total in their history ?
It's a DAW and plugin forum so it's pretty normal that new users get much more features and content than loyal long time users. :roll:

I just read that thread. So mwistl and melvia got into a slight disagreement over what exactly does a switch do of a poorly documented jackd daemon. So unfortunate that it degenerated into personal attacks because it started off as very informative. What's wrong with you millennials? You can't take a slight criticism and try to gain insight or knowledge from it? The guy convinced that the --sync switch was the better way should have at least tested it to see if there was any truth to whether it does poorly affect performance. You immediately went into "get lost" territory.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

From reading the thread, I would assume the op himself locked it, since he ends with "Adios".

So what's the the best/simplest solution these days?
I once again had to re-install my Linux partition after putting in a GTX 2080 TI and have no sound in Bitwig (feels like I've been there a dozen times before).
Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2, Focusrite 18i20 1gen.
Jackctrl starts fine but still no sound output.
Alsa also didn't work.
Works just fine under Windows 8.1.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

The OP mwislt .. 14 posts and all about jackd and accuses others of self promotion. Total loser.

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:45 pm The guy convinced that the --sync switch was the better way should have at least tested it to see if there was any truth to whether it does poorly affect performance. You immediately went into "get lost" territory.
Hmmmm don't know about that. But I did test latency some time ago as it is important for me to record acoustic guitar and being able to monitor through headphones at the same time. See the procedure I followed at the end of the reply.

While it does not have an immediate relation with jackd2 --sync option, the --sync option will help in getting a better performance since no extra buffer is needed for asynchronous operation which is the default of jackd2. This I got from the references I have quoted in the thread, namely FalkTX of KXStudio and this week's Giso Grimm reply in the Ardour mailing list.

I can say that I did not test the --sync option specifically but went along with the explanation I got at the time I set it (and copied it since then, that was in the time of kernel 3.x, so a few years ago).

However I did test latency so if anyone is interested here's how I did it, from my notes at that time.

Connect a cable from one audio output of the audio interface to one of its input and use jack_iodelay to measure the latency. Use qjackctl to connect the ports. I use a 1010LT PCI card. Between each measure, vary the jackd parameters.

% apt-get install jdelay

Measurements for kernel 3.13.0-24-generic (excerpt). Results will vary according to other factors (CPU, etc...). I launch and stop jackd using a console so it's faster than having to deal with menus.

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/jackd -T -ndefault -dalsa -dhw:M1010LT -r44100 -p1024 -n2
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames (23.2 ms), buffer = 2 periods
jack_iodelay
 3133.532 frames     71.055 ms total roundtrip latency

/usr/bin/jackd -T -ndefault -dalsa -dhw:M1010LT -r44100 -p128 -n2
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 128 frames (2.9 ms), buffer = 2 periods
jack_iodelay
   445.529 frames     10.103 ms total roundtrip latency

/usr/bin/jackd -T -ndefault -dalsa -dhw:M1010LT -r44100 -p64 -n2
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 64 frames (1.5 ms), buffer = 2 periods
jack_iodelay
   253.529 frames      5.749 ms total roundtrip latency

ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:00 pm From reading the thread, I would assume the op himself locked it, since he ends with "Adios".
I tried to lock a thread I created but it doesn't work.
ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:00 pm So what's the the best/simplest solution these days? I once again had to re-install my Linux partition after putting in a GTX 2080 TI and have no sound in Bitwig (feels like I've been there a dozen times before).
Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2, Focusrite 18i20 1gen. Jackctrl starts fine but still no sound output.
Alsa also didn't work. Works just fine under Windows 8.1.
I'm afraid I experience quite the contrary. I currently use Xubuntu 18.04 LTS both at home and at work. Previously I used Linux Mint KDE 17 and 18, for quite a few years. I use Bitwig since version 1.x up to now version 2.4.3, for creation. And Mixbus32C for mixing/mastering since it was made available. Previously I only used Ardour.

I do not use a Focusrite interface, but rather an obsolete M-Audio 1010LT PCI card with 8 stereo in, 8 stereo out, 2 XLR in, and some other. Since it might very well be related to the interface used, I'm afraid I cannot be of much help regarding this at this point. However, if you advance and face specific technical problems in troubleshooting, I could help.

A quick search returned many hits of Linux and the Focusrite 18i20. Looks like there's no lack of information.

Cheers/tschüß.

mevla wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:18 pm
ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:00 pm From reading the thread, I would assume the op himself locked it, since he ends with "Adios".
I tried to lock a thread I created but it doesn't work.
ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:00 pm So what's the the best/simplest solution these days? I once again had to re-install my Linux partition after putting in a GTX 2080 TI and have no sound in Bitwig (feels like I've been there a dozen times before).
Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2, Focusrite 18i20 1gen. Jackctrl starts fine but still no sound output.
Alsa also didn't work. Works just fine under Windows 8.1.
I'm afraid I experience quite the contrary. I currently use Xubuntu 18.04 LTS both at home and at work. Previously I used Linux Mint KDE 17 and 18, for quite a few years. I use Bitwig since version 1.x up to now version 2.4.3, for creation. And Mixbus32C for mixing/mastering since it was made available. Previously I only used Ardour.

I do not use a Focusrite interface, but rather an obsolete M-Audio 1010LT PCI card with 8 stereo in, 8 stereo out, 2 XLR in, and some other. Since it might very well be related to the interface used, I'm afraid I cannot be of much help regarding this at this point. However, if you advance and face specific technical problems in troubleshooting, I could help.

A quick search returned many hits of Linux and the Focusrite 18i20. Looks like there's no lack of information.

Cheers/tschüß.
Wasn't there a creative edition of Ubuntu?

https://ubuntustudio.org/

Why waste your time with other tinker variants?

I just use Debian for Debian work and CentOS/RHEL for RH work. I don't waste time on all the various tinker flavors. But I just use OS X and Windows for music. I'd rather spend 1 hour working on misc than tinkering with systems and other tools.

For that matter, how much actual "improved performance" are you even getting by using a *nix for music making? In this age of 16 and 32 GB ram as standard and i7 on the CPU as a standard, is performance even a selling point to using a nix for music making?

There is far more to 'performance' than grunt cpu power.*
Many linux musicians have specific gui managers
and workflows they prefer. And many have a core group
of apps they enjoy and rely on. And many have melded
commands and icons to create an effient system that
almost never needs the proverbial tinkering.

Those who love to tinker, can install/reinstall almost
any linux easily, fearing no disaster. Windows rewards tinkering
with nightmares, and most of the so-called tinkering,
is done by win 10 developement team, who with a secure
spot in the duopoly, fear no evil foisted on their hapless
customer captives within the enterprise.

* real power is being able to imagine a result,
and happily create your way towards achieving it,
in an environment you both love and control.
Without the next automated x-y-z update sending
the muse running for cover.
Cheers

Return to “Bitwig”