Who blocked the thread "Jackd on Linux - Midi input fix" ?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

glokraw wrote: ↑Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:49 am There is far more to 'performance' than grunt cpu power.*
Many linux musicians have specific gui managers
and workflows they prefer. And many have a core group
of apps they enjoy and rely on. And many have melded
commands and icons to create an effient system that
almost never needs the proverbial tinkering.

Those who love to tinker, can install/reinstall almost
any linux easily, fearing no disaster. Windows rewards tinkering
with nightmares, and most of the so-called tinkering,
is done by win 10 developement team, who with a secure
spot in the duopoly, fear no evil foisted on their hapless
customer captives within the enterprise.

* real power is being able to imagine a result,
and happily create your way towards achieving it,
in an environment you both love and control.
Without the next automated x-y-z update sending
the muse running for cover.
Cheers
A big waste of time if you ask me . And I am an old IT guy. I would put those hours of tinkering into working with micro services, kubernetes, or joining a FOSS project and packaging apps for a distro. Your time is valuable and putting it into an effort where everyone else uses COTS is a waste. The only place I know of where they use nix in creative work is CGI .. and that's cause they need the performance.
🌐 Spotify πŸ”΅ Soundcloud πŸŒ€ Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: ↑Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:09 am The only place I know of where they use nix in creative work is CGI .. and that's cause they need the performance.
But you just said "For that matter, how much actual "improved performance" are you even getting by using a *nix for music making?"

and then spin a quick 180 saying "they need the performance"
for cgi :dog:

It's also pretty arrogant to define who 'they' is,
and define linux musicians as mere tinkerers,
wasting their time.

I don't think you have a clue about what linux musicians
are actually doing. You repeat lame platitudes
that may have held a few drops of water back in 2009,
but it's almost 2020. Bitwig, Mixbus, Reaper, Renoise,
Traction, Radium, Qtractor and Non-daw offer a lot
of audio capability, probably around 3000 users in the lot.
And that doesn't include the c-sound, supercollider
and pure-data type users, in very different environs.

The numbers still equate to a microcosm compared
to the giant Microsoft/Apple duopoly, but who cares?
The creativity and passion of linux musicians exists,
the tunes don't care from whence they've sprung,
and using linux to make music is fun.
Cheers

"

telecode wrote: ↑Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:05 am Wasn't there a creative edition of Ubuntu? https://ubuntustudio.org/ Why waste your time with other tinker variants?
Why technically speaking, use Ubuntu Studio instead of a LTS release offered on Cannonical website ? There is no need for my needs. I do not use any 'creative' repo, I use the plain Ubunbtu repo.

Where is the waste of time (that is, if you are replying directly to me and not to Thomas) ?
telecode wrote: ↑Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:05 amI just use Debian for Debian work and CentOS/RHEL for RH work. I don't waste time on all the various tinker flavors. But I just use OS X and Windows for music. I'd rather spend 1 hour working on misc than tinkering with systems and other tools.
1 hour is even too much for getting a (X)ubuntu system to work nicely for music creation.

What do you exactly mean by "Debian work" and "RH work" ? I'm afraid I do not work in IT thus I do not know, if that's the case. I can work on a Linux-powered embedded device from any other Linux OS, there are absolutely no distinction made between Linux OS that would categorize as being types of work, so that's why I'm puzzled. The differences that can be seen are rather for instance at the compiler level regarding some embedded devices. That's my experience.

If I need to open a RH .rpm I simply open it in a .deb based system, for instance.

So my guess about "Debian work" and "RH work" is that it has to do with IT.
telecode wrote: ↑Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:05 amFor that matter, how much actual "improved performance" are you even getting by using a *nix for music making? In this age of 16 and 32 GB ram as standard and i7 on the CPU as a standard, is performance even a selling point to using a nix for music making?
I do not know since that's a looong time I haven't used any Windows system. Since I work using Linux, even making Linux OSes for professional and personal use, for such a long time I only see but advantages using Linux as opposed to Windows, from the MSDN jungle to the straight and clear availability of information in Linux to the system simplicity and easiness of configuration as well as being able to keep a system configuration in plain regular text files as opposed to navigating endless popup menus.

telecode wrote: ↑Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:09 am A big waste of time if you ask me . And I am an old IT guy. I would put those hours of tinkering into working with micro services, kubernetes, or joining a FOSS project and packaging apps for a distro. Your time is valuable and putting it into an effort where everyone else uses COTS is a waste.
Ah OK, you answered my question about "Debian work" and "RH work" : IT dept.

I do not work in IT.

Before spending $3000 on Windows plugins last year I made DAMN SURE that I wouldn't see any of the HORRORS described full length by people trying to make Windows plugins work under Linux. People flexing 'nerd muscle' all over the place with extremely complex stuff.

When the day is done and I'm creating music I become a user. A SIMPLE USER. Who does not want to see and do complicated things. I think it's not difficult to understand.

The solution I have chosen to make the Windows plugins I got work in Linux is extremely simple and works the first time around. And it satisfies these rules:

1) Plugin demo installs and works w/o problem
2) The features it brings will be beneficial

It then can become a candidate for buying. If not it is simply ditched w/o any regrets. I have no backlog of Windows plugins that I have to make work. A Windows plugin either works or does not.

And with the Windows plugins I thus got and use, there's more than plenty to learn about to use them to the most, combined with proper mixing and mastering techniques, so I'm good.

ThomasHelzle wrote: ↑Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:00 pm From reading the thread, I would assume the op himself locked it, since he ends with "Adios".

So what's the the best/simplest solution these days?
I once again had to re-install my Linux partition after putting in a GTX 2080 TI and have no sound in Bitwig (feels like I've been there a dozen times before).
Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2, Focusrite 18i20 1gen.
Jackctrl starts fine but still no sound output.
Alsa also didn't work.
Works just fine under Windows 8.1.

Cheers,

Tom
I think Mint use pulseaudio as default. You might want to disable or uninstall it before running alsa.

sfd wrote: ↑Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:19 pmI think Mint use pulseaudio as default. You might want to disable or uninstall it before running alsa.
No need. jackd and pulseaudio can cohabit and even work together by means of the pulseaudio-module-jack. This is how I get firefox, mpv and all those regular audio apps running smoothly and at the same time I can use Bitwig (jackd mode) eg. it's possible to watch a youtube Bitwig tutorial while having Bitwig running and trying things out. One app is using pulseaudio the other, Bitwig, jackd, and they work together.

pulseaudio's module-jackdbus-detect auto-loads and unloads module-jack-sink/module-jack-source when it detects starting/stopping up of jackdbus.

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwa ... er/Modules
"This module automatically adds JACK sinks and sources whenever the JACK server is started. "

I respond to users on a newer and better thread with systemd+jackdbus over here,
viewtopic.php?f=259&t=530516&hilit=jackdbus

pulseaudio is unaware of jackd, so it's bad advice once again given by mevla.

No need to take it personal, try learning from others. I'm not here to show-off.

(Been using linux for over quite some time. I won't say how long, I am new here and just want to help other users.)

And I'm not discouraging users from using Linux, I'm rather encouraging users to tell developers to make things easier for us.

If users do not encourage to "consult" proper documentation and to tell developers where things can be improved, development takes no better shape or form.

But for users to be spreading assumptions, that's not good either, even if Linux is "difficult".

I don't want Linux to be "difficult", it's unfortunately for the "fix" around the mess of Jack/Pulse/Alsa, but it is for what it is. And it needs to be improved, so instead of having a little spit contest on who is right, we users should be encouraging development at jackaudio. https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio. ... ilingLists

Interesting.
I can't get my external audio unit (M-Audio Fast Track Pro) to work with anything but alsa.

And so, I got this issue with firefox audio.

I don't use jack running on my Lubuntu box. Since I'm using Cubase on Windows. A dual boot on the same machine.

I'm not so happy with this solution. But I've been using Cubase since 1994. So I'm so used to it.

A virtual machine is a no go because they don't have any good support for the USB dongle (as far as I know).

Still, I hate Windows. But I'm , sort of, trapped there becase I'm to lazy to to go throug the hassle of setting up a studio in Linux, abandon loads of plug-.ins I've paid for. Including the DAW itself.

But well...I just might get a demo fo Bitwig and find myself a good guide on teh subject.

sfd wrote: ↑Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:08 am Still, I hate Windows. But I'm , sort of, trapped there becase I'm to lazy to to go throug the hassle of setting up a studio in Linux, abandon loads of plug-.ins I've paid for. Including the DAW itself.
^^ Use the right tool for the job. (Unless you happen to have aspirations to join a FOSS Linux project -- in which case its good to get down and dirty debugging why certain hardware doesn't work on certain linux distros. time is money. :-))
🌐 Spotify πŸ”΅ Soundcloud πŸŒ€ Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

mwstl wrote: ↑Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:04 ampulseaudio is unaware of jackd, so it's bad advice once again given by mevla.
That's the problem with these type of persons, a pronounced short-sightedness that leads to blocking threads when there's disagreement.

The pulseaudio-module-jack works just fine, making it possible to use both regular audio apps that expects using pulseaudio while at the same time jackd is available for the apps expecting to use jackd. It's as simple as that.

Moreover, by using pulseaudio-module-jack, pulseaudio will actually start jackd at boot by means of a ~/.jackdrc file storing the jackd command to execute.

Talk about pulseaudio being unaware of jackd: there's even a package, pulseaudio-module-jack, bridging the two.

How further far off can you be, apart from being there to the "rescue", flexing nerd muscles ?

telecode wrote: ↑Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:39 am ^^ Use the right tool for the job. (Unless you happen to have aspirations to join a FOSS Linux project -- in which case its good to get down and dirty debugging why certain hardware doesn't work on certain linux distros. time is money. :-))
Hence one tries to choose hardware that's compatible. Eg. one might like that V6 engine but perhaps one should abandon the idea of fitting it in a Prius. Except perhaps to make a unique, one-of-a-kind freak show of sorts.

If one has a lot of Windows related software and hardware that MUST run under Linux, then the position might not be ideal to make a switch.

I do not use Windows. So I had no legacy, no $3000+ that must run under Linux. This is optimal. One can then choose what's suitable for a Linux system. Once done, I nevertheless spent that amount on Windows plugins, all of them running on the very simple basis of:

1) Does the Windows plugin demo install and runs properly in Linux ?
2) Does it bring interesting, creative features ?

If yes on both, then the subject is candidate to be bought.

If no, then the subject is squarely abandoned, no regrets at all, and NO trying to make it work. Again: no trying to make it work.

Some might say, what ? No Kontakt, no Waves, no Omnisphere, no Falcon, no nothing ?

Well, with all the Windows plugins I got, there's so much to learn to use them at their highest creative potential ... that going after more plugins would just turn the whole thing into a shopping mall alley.

Same with mixing and mastering for that matter.

sfd wrote: ↑Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:08 amInteresting. I can't get my external audio unit (M-Audio Fast Track Pro) to work with anything but alsa.
Not all hardware will work under Linux. Hence my previous reply about an optimal position to get into Linux eg. w/o having any Windows legacy hard/software investments that MUST run under Linux.

I use a M-Audio 1010LT w/o any problems. I will not look for the interface you are using, but it seems that there's a lot of documentation about it for Linux systems.

If I would have to replace that interface I would probably choose one of the MOTU interfaces. Some are reported to work well in Linux.

My approach in Linux, being optimal to start with, also includes a no-hassle feature. Or at least, minimum hassle. I work in Linux software and when I sit to make music it's as a user mostly, not as someone who will dig and dig and dig for solutions and workarounds and gossips and such. With any OS, some tuning is required to get the most of the audio response, that's OK, but no more than that.

I waited a long time to get into Windows VSTs because of all those people having tons and tons of problems, digging away at workarounds. I dis not want to do that. I want to create music. I finally opted for linvst as it seemed to be the simplest way and it ended up proving itself to be very simple. Hence a few thousand bucks went into getting Windows VSTs, following the very important two points I mentioned in my previous reply.

If you're willing, you could start a Linux system on its own, with its own audio interface, it's own computer, distinct from the Windows 'machinery'.

Yea, but wha are the right tools ? I'll see if I can get my soundcard working with pulseaudio. But I think alsa is more favorable for audio recording and work with various Linux DAWs

It's not that my audio device doesn't work in my Linux mahcine. It works well with alsa. But there was this issue with firefox using pulseaudio.

I got around that problem by repalciing firefox with another browser.

I use my Linux for everyday computing. I only boot up Windows for my DAW (Cubase).

It's not that somehting "MUST" be in the box. It's just that it cost quite some money and it would feel like a waste of the money if I dont, or can't, use what I paid for.

Mevla, you seriously need help.

Return to β€œBitwig”