Fall Hymn - Orchestral

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/mediumaevum-artist/autumn-hymn

What can be improved on this, and how?
Is there too much "going on" (harmony) or is it fine as it is?

I've listened to earlier critics and made use of slight dissonances in my harmonic progressions.
I've also attempted some counterpoint. Please let me know if it works.

You begin it with a solo string playing a melody and then the flute comes in and repeats those four notes which is fine. Maybe then allow the solo string to continue to solo and then just bring in the flute for harmony on the last three notes of the intro or something closer to this. This would be a simpler arrangement but maybe it work better for setting up the next section with the full strings.

At :55 the cellos? continue to play without the higher strings and then there seems to be no real break as they begin the next section. For me, I think it would work better to let all the strings finish that section together with at least a slight pause before beginning the next section.

That’s my two cents.

Nice music!

Overall I think that you have something lovely, with some reservations:

If I were there, I'd say it feel "rushed", like you need to play in a way that emphasizes the ebb & flow of your melody instead of playing straight through it. I really want that note on the top of the phrase to be held - like the pivot of a see-saw - before it runs down to the conclusion.

Sounds are lovely but I'm finding the boom at the bottom distracting. Were you doing that deliberately? If so, this ain't EDM.

At about 00:58 you feel lost like you aren't sure what to do as you move sections. A pause might do better.

It makes a really nice start to a larger cycle of a concerto

:-)

I love lilting, soft classical music like this. I use the word "pastoral" but I'm not sure that's the correct term. I liked it, plain and simple.

Great. I like it, its beautiful.
My 2 cents: at 0:28 the jump in volume is too great.
I would like to hear the lower octaves filled out more to give it more weight in parts.
As far as instrumentation goes: I'm getting a lot of strings, but not much brass or wind.

Thanks a lot for your comments. I will see what I can do to improve on this.

I don't know anything about classical music but I find this very relaxing and soothing. Nice work

Return to “Music Cafe”