Available now: Tone2 Icarus2.5 - Wavetable Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

So now the v2 is out and is great, I would like to suggest here a bunch of ideas that could be an improvement or not. Feel free to ignore or consider it:

- Pre-/post switch for the filter distortion. Some synths even have "inside" (like synthmaster 2.9), but I don't know what that means. For this filter vol and drive could be exchanged and then a switch placed over the rez knob.

Or the knob could be changed in handling: middle is off, to the right the post filter mode, to the left the pre-filter mode (I guess this is not an good idea due "click sound" while pre/post mode switching)

- More modulation slots, e.g. 32

- Slots can modulate the amount of another slot

- A second step LFO

- Being able to modulate the "shape" amount of an ENV. Not sure if this is technically possible, due preprocessing or so.

- Being able to modulate the FX1/2/3 mix amount thru the matrix.

- A tilt filter mode around 1khz for the filters

- The most OSC morph modes can be controlled in tone, but not always in mix-in-amount. I would like to suggest then to move the LFO 2 OSC knob to the matrix and instead place here an "morph mix", which mixes in the unprocessed signal.

- OSC LFO1 also could be moved to matrix, e.g. for an unison spread curve knob, which makes different spreading curves possible, from logarithmic to linear to cubic/exp.

Thanks for consideration! Have a good, relaxing day!
Last edited by Hanz Meyzer on Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

to contribute my findings to be eventually considered for future updates:

1. dedicated nudge left and right buttons for Arp, Drum- and Glitch Machine sequences
2. Arp Pattern MIDI file drag & drop to host
3. Switchable Arp and drum sequences from a pool via tabs without having to load a new preset
4. A randomize function for the Arp with different options like to only randomize step order, but keeping the general rythmic pattern intact
5. sample item drag & drop from host to drum machine
6. Audio In
7. Deklunk workflow a bit and remove unnecessary mouse clicks (Legato or Release inside the Arp have no other selectable subfunctions, so why do i still have to select those twice in order to activate them?)
8. Glitch machine also routable to pre-FX
9. Drum Machine also routable through the filters if desired
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:33 am - Being able to modulate the "shape" amount of an ENV. Not sure if this is technically possible, due preprocessing or so.
It is, Serum can do that. I modulate the shape knob of the LFO´s (which is as well not modulateable in Icarus 2..) with M4L and it sounds amazing.
This is the first thing I missed after installing Icarus2.
Last edited by enCiphered on Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2. Arp Pattern MIDI file drag & drop to host
3. Switchable Arp and drum sequences from a pool via tabs without having to load a new preset
4. A randomize function for the Arp with different options like to only randomize step order, but keeping the general rythmic pattern intact
:tu:

I think the preset system for the drums and arp is one of the really strenght of this version (reminds me a but on the great Octopus, never found such good arp presets again anywhere), but as it is very "focussed" on some music styles at the moment evry improvement (like the mentioned randomn function which would be great for the drumsequencer too) could really improve useability as an "all around synth-workstation" a lot.

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:33 am
This one is possible

Markus Krause wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:27 pm As usual on kvr everything is heaviliy overdramatized.
Nothing has changed in the protection scheme or the keyfiles compared to Icarus1 except the fact that your PC has to be connected for 10 seconds to the internet while you activate the software. And this is only necessary for a single time. Big drama :roll:
My music PC is _never_ connected to internet.
Offending potential customers is ain't smart decision.
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:14 pm
Markus Krause wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:27 pm As usual on kvr everything is heaviliy overdramatized.
Nothing has changed in the protection scheme or the keyfiles compared to Icarus1 except the fact that your PC has to be connected for 10 seconds to the internet while you activate the software. And this is only necessary for a single time. Big drama :roll:
My music PC is _never_ connected to internet.
Offending potential customers is ain't smart decision.
10. seconds.

so really, if you're paranoid or just being... weird, that's your business. for the other 99.9% of us, it's an easy process.

EDIT: wait. how do you update apps, plugins?

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:33 am So now the v2 is out and is great, I would like to suggest here a bunch of ideas that could be an improvement or not. Feel free to ignore or consider it:

- Pre-/post switch for the filter distortion. Some synths even have "inside" (like synthmaster 2.9), but I don't know what that means. For this filter vol and drive could be exchanged and then a switch placed over the rez knob.

Or the knob could be changed in handling: middle is off, to the right the post filter mode, to the left the pre-filter mode (I guess this is not an good idea due "click sound" while pre/post mode switching)

- More modulation slots, e.g. 32

- A second step LFO

- Being able to modulate the "shape" amount of an ENV. Not sure if this is technically possible, due preprocessing or so.

- Being able to modulate the FX1/2/3 mix amount thru the matrix.

- A tilt filter mode around 1khz for the filters

- The most OSC morph modes can be controlled in tone, but not always in mix-in-amount. I would like to suggest then to move the LFO 2 OSC knob to the matrix and instead place here an "morph mix", which mixes in the unprocessed signal.

- OSC LFO1 also could be moved to matrix, e.g. for an unison spread curve knob, which makes different spreading curves possible, from logarithmic to linear to cubic/exp.

Thanks for consideration! Have a good, relaxing day!
you can already modulate one slot with another source in the matrix
[click on Matrix destination -> matrix -> Matrix slot(X)

It's also already possible to control FX 1, 2 and 3 mix + Global FX mix + Feedback
[click on Matrix destination -> FX -> all the options there
(don't forget you can add FX 1, 2 and 3 duck)

my suggestions (and personal wishes for possible Icarus2 Update), also can be more or less considered as appropriate or desirable.... ;)

- STEP LFO 2 and 3

- 32/24 Slots Matrix with VIA/sidechain

- Option to route Drum Pre filter/FX
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also consider Pre/Post filter distortion suggestion a good idea but would prioritize the addition of Electra2 recent waveshaping options over that personally (they sound so good :!: )

How long will the introductory price be?

tasty tatsyn wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:38 pm you can already modulate one slot with another source in the matrix
[click on Matrix destination -> matrix -> Matrix slot(X)

It's also already possible to control FX 1, 2 and 3 mix + Global FX mix + Feedback
[click on Matrix destination -> FX -> all the options there
(don't forget you can add FX 1, 2 and 3 duck)
Oh wow, many thanks! How did I overlook this :dog:

One more question: If I choose "bandlimited noise" as LFO waveform, I will get a triangle waveform instead. What am I doing wrong?

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:53 pm One more question: If I choose "bandlimited noise" as LFO waveform, I will get a triangle waveform instead. What am I doing wrong?
It's kind of a smooth variation of a random algorythm, i think it's starts and kind of maintains the triangle shape, but it reads/scans diferent points/segments of that waveform (Markus can correct me if i'm talking nonsense :D ), you can adjust it by moving 'shape and 'phase. I'm assuming it means it has a smoother variation then other randoms.
That's what i hear at least but Markus should be able to explain it better....

the random LFO's representations in most cases in Icarus are just to get an idea of the random algorythm, not the random values themselves (i assume for simplicity and CPU reasons)
If you want/need other results you should try another random algorythm
Last edited by tasty tatsyn on Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

How long will the introductory price be?
cough, cough....a few years ago they generally lowered the prizes....these prizes you can get as "sale", "intro prize", "black friday deal"........

In short: it wont run away, it has been (no matter if 1 or 2) 149 € for I dont know how long, there will be no real sales (not on tone2 and I dont know if there will be any on other resellers as Ikarus2 seems to be exluxively saled on tone2) so I am sure you can take your time.....

Good morning. Ah ok. Mh, I would like to have a noise kind of LFO, and in which I can change a "filter" on it, from LP to BP to HP, with shape knob. Or if it was bandlimited, maybe the frequency of it, and bandwidth with the phase knob... I hope it is understandable what I mean by that :hihi:

At this point, after Markus has said there are not going to be new synths, just updates - for various personal reasons - it'd be nice if he could go one step further and say what would be realistic to expect from tone2 in the future. Although, of course, maybe he himself doesn't know exactly, but if we are constantly bugging him with requests for more and more new and sophisticated features, and he thinks this is not going to happen/sounds like trolling/way too much and is irritating to him, he should say so. Thus far for Icarus have been requested features enough for version 3 and beyond. Now we could do the same for his other synths - hey, I want this feature in Gladiator, that one in Electra, etc... Is this realistic AT ALL, or are some of us badly in need to be told to cool down a bit, again!

Return to “Instruments”