Is recording a guitar amp still necessary?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think every modern PC have nore calculation power as the kemper. there need only good software for PC. currently there is with amp match features Bias amp and peavey revalver as software here. both sound not so good as the kemper profiles i hear.
bias amp2 should have a better amp match but i have not bias amp 2. i have now buy bias fx this have a guitar match profile. so i can record the testtones of my guitar and when done i can choose several guitars to simulate. les paul etc.
BTW: peavey revalver is now sell from other. if they enhance it, did not know. currently they sell since 2 months only the old.

I am sure when i buy a kemper there come few months later a good software for PC so i need no kemper anymore because it is more easy to do all without external device. So i buy no Kemper it is also very expensive and i wait.

a real funny thing is neural dsp. demo can test and i hear they have good sounding amps and can load my 2 impulses. but the amp sims they have is very limit and named with the name of guitar player. some have a EQ some not.

and now come the funny part. they want release in november a hardware that simulate many amps/speakers and have much more effects as their software solution. they write "
Quad Cortex is the most powerful floor modeler on the planet. With 2GHz of dedicated DSP from its Quad-Core SHARC®
I dont know how much money they want. but my PC have 6 cores and when all 6 cores need run have a clock of 3.6 GHZ and it is much much more faster when use AVX code Compiler than the sharc. https://neuraldsp.com/quad-cortex

really bad they do not offer the quad cortex amps for VST. maybe later they do, when they notice that not so much buy their hardware
win 10 64 22H2 intel i5 8600K (6*3.6 GHZ) 32 GB Ram

NeuralDSP will sell a ton of those units, I don't think they'll be worried about VST losses. Guitar players are still, by and large, more comfortable with something physical to turn knobs on.

neural dsp have released yesterday a even more better sounding amp and speaker VST. there can in the amp choose 3 valve types. all sound diffrent and good. but this time there is no reverb and delay in this plugin. but the speaker simulation sound really great and ready to mix sound and much better as their older plugins. i test the free trail here https://neuraldsp.com/products/omega-am ... ranophyre/

you may be right, when they release quad cortex they can sell alot. there amp simulation get better and better. question is what it cost.

i prefer to record with a mic/amp but i am going for a retro sound/style... i use an SM57 in front of my 12" tube combo and get results that i am happy with.

magicmusic wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:53 pm neural dsp have released yesterday a even more better sounding amp and speaker VST. there can in the amp choose 3 valve types. all sound diffrent and good. but this time there is no reverb and delay in this plugin. but the speaker simulation sound really great and ready to mix sound and much better as their older plugins. i test the free trail here https://neuraldsp.com/products/omega-am ... ranophyre/

you may be right, when they release quad cortex they can sell alot. there amp simulation get better and better. question is what it cost.
From the link, the HW is 1600 eurobux
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I just wish one of the fancy amp modeling hardware units besides the Roland guitar synths had 13 pin cable input and pitch-to-MIDI. Line 6, Kemper, even AxeFx have all that DSP but pitch-to-MIDI. I guess it is too niche for them to bother. I wonder how many guitar synths Roland sells per year; probably not many. I know a guy who used to work or Line 6 and said it is weird because many of the people there, including himself, are into synthesizers.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

EDIT: because i write first wrong VST name. i mean midi guitar 2.

kemper axe and co are no synthesizers, so what should they do with midi input. I test some VST software that do guitar to midi. this i think is best https://www.jamorigin.com/ midi guitar 2. work with low latency when your audio card work good with 64 or 128 samples buffer. and it have a very usefull noisegate. there can increase the level so that a fret press did not trigger midi note. pitch bend and polyphonic it support too.
Last edited by magicmusic on Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

As you must know, there are virtuals galore. The few that I've heard are excellent.

magicmusic wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:06 am kemper axe and co are no synthesizers, so what should they do with midi input. I test some VST software that do guitar to midi. this i think is best https://migic.com/ migic work with low latency when your audio card work good withm 64 or 128 samples buffer. and migic have a very usefull noisegate. there can increase the level so that a fret press did not trigger midi note. pitch bend migic support too.
Looks impressive, including the price.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

oh sorry i tell wrong name because i use it long time not. I edit above post too. the best solution i find is midiguitar 2 VST. there is a try version for this too. migic work good too but it is currently NOT POLYPHONIC and have not the noise gate.

Gribs wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:46 am pitch-to-MIDI
You know guitar pitch is never precise and changes depending on how hard you strum, where you press the string (on fret or between frets), how hard you press the string against the fretboard, etc. And there is one pitch at the start of the note, which then changes into a range of other pitches before the note goes silent. And if you're doing some tremolo picking or similar - that would be a nightmare to translate into MIDI.

That's BEFORE any dirt pedals, delays, etc.

So my guess is they've thought about it, and left it there.

You can use a MIDI guitar, BTW.

there is a demo video from migic. there is solo play with bend and vibrato with a guitar. it work good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncQ63vKCzjU you can also test yourself.

such guitar to midi software when enable bend mode send the note and the offset to the note as pitch wheel data. si when your guitar is detune then the synth detune in same way. this is midi guitar 2 video. it support polyphonic and bends https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5G0g3Sw3uY

Sonuus G2M V3 Guitar to Midi Converter is another option I stumbled upon.
https://youtu.be/ZeBY7fG0fUw
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

perfumer wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:49 am
Gribs wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:46 am pitch-to-MIDI
You know guitar pitch is never precise and changes depending on how hard you strum, where you press the string (on fret or between frets), how hard you press the string against the fretboard, etc. And there is one pitch at the start of the note, which then changes into a range of other pitches before the note goes silent. And if you're doing some tremolo picking or similar - that would be a nightmare to translate into MIDI.

That's BEFORE any dirt pedals, delays, etc.

So my guess is they've thought about it, and left it there.

You can use a MIDI guitar, BTW.
MIDI-guitars, unless you mean something like the Starr Labs things, are just ordinary guitars with acoustic transducers in the bridge and a 13-pin cable out (see below). I looked into the he Star Labs controllers and decided they really function like a different instrument. I am old enough that I actually saw Allan Holdsworth live when he was touring with a SynthAxe, which was sort of like the Star labs controllers but not exactly.

I know about guitar pitch and tracking. I built a digital guitar tuner for my electronics design class way back in the mid 1980’s when I was an undergrad EE student. I made made measurements using my ES-335. One annoyance I found was that the primary harmonic for certain strings can decay much faster than the next octave up. I could watch it on an oscilloscope. That was my last electronic project. I went into the mathematical stuff for grad school and eventually found my way into computational optics which is what I do now for one of the big four tech companies.

A standard 13-pin cable goes straight out into the pitch-to-MIDI input on Roland units (the old Axon units were similar). I have a Godin LGX-SA guitar. It has two other 1/4-inch outs, one for the Seymour Duncans and and one for the acoustic transducer. The 13-pin is like a direct out, with a single output for each string (individual transducers in the bridge). The pitch tracking on the Roland GI-20 is pretty good, and you can send the MIDI out from each string to a different channel. So you can be Larry the Lounge Lizard if you want (bleah). I noticed a lot of the Star Labs controller guys do that... not my thing. It is possible to get some vibrato and to use the tremolo. I am thinking about buying one of the new Boss guitar synths just for pitch-to-midi. The synths in the video demos sound sort of crappy and the amp models are so so, but the thing is probably okay for an old fart engineer like me.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Return to “Guitars”